Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Help and support for HDHomeRun Tuners, HDHomeRun DVR, and HDHomeRun software for Windows, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Post Reply
wtg
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:21 am
Device ID: Flex 4k
x 1

Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by wtg »

I have an ongoing issue with DVR playback and I hope you can help. It's been happening off and on for months. Device 10A1B12F is with send diagnostics enabled for both dvr and player. If you can look at the diagnostics provided, on both the 29th and 30th we had multiple failures between 8pm and 8:30pm EST.

Very frequently when playing back recordings it abruptly stops and goes back to the recording screen. Resuming playback doesn't restart where it stopped but instead we're back at the beginning and have to search for where we were when it stopped. It can happen multiple times watching one 30 min recording or it might not happen at all, but it's been getting more frequent and is quite frustrating. It's all hard-wired network between the DVR (on Linux Mint) and machines doing playback, which are 2 NVidia shields and one LG TV. I've switched network adapters on the DVR and replaced the network switch but the same issue remains.

I read in another post where someone has a similar issue and nickk (or someone - can't find it and can't recall who for sure) said playback crashes after 10s of no data from the DVR. I've sat with a laptop and pinged both the DVR server and playback device constantly to see if a device is dropping off the network during playback, but they aren't so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the issue are welcome.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 17933
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm
x 113

Re: Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by jasonl »

The app is reporting a socket error and no data coming in. Do you have a USB hard drive that you could connect to your FLEX and use that as the DVR to see if the problems are specific to using the Linux PC as the DVR?

wtg
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:21 am
Device ID: Flex 4k
x 1

Re: Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by wtg »

I'll try that, thank you. I don't really find much in terms of instructions for doing so. Is it really just as simple as plugging in the drive, formatting from the device page and shutting down my DVR service on the linux box?

Edit: I've made the change and at first I was like "Why didn't I do this before? It's so much easier" and then I remembered... with this setup there is still no way to automatically delete old recordings, right? And the Flex storage isn't sharable/accessible over the network either, correct?

On my linux machine I have a job that automatically deletes my nightly news recordings after 7 days so my drive doesn't fill up. I record the evening world and local nightly news, and 2 channels to cover the situation where one doesn't have news that night because of sporting event broadcasts, so quite a few of the recording I'm not watching but recording in case I want to. Having to delete these one at a time through the UI is extremely tedious, especially when I'm not watching most of them to begin with. I know this feature has been requested many times in the past. I really hope you can add a means to have specific recordings automatically delete themselves after a certain time period. This is a basic feature of any DVR.

jasonl
Silicondust
Posts: 17933
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:23 pm
x 113

Re: Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by jasonl »

An option to limit the number of recordings per series is being worked on now.

wtg
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:21 am
Device ID: Flex 4k
x 1

Re: Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by wtg »

jasonl wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:13 pm An option to limit the number of recordings per series is being worked on now.
Not meaning to sound skeptical, but hasn't this been said for a long time? I know it's been requested for years. Is this really something we can expect soon?

nickk
Silicondust
Posts: 21170
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:39 am
x 415

Re: Playback abruptly stops - wtg

Post by nickk »

wtg wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:12 am Not meaning to sound skeptical, but hasn't this been said for a long time? I know it's been requested for years. Is this really something we can expect soon?
Yes

Post Reply