Hello, not sure this is the right place but a couple of years ago I started to work on Skywave, a PHP command line tool to extract info from OTA channels via HDHomeRun. As with any other hobby, progress was not at the pace I would have liked, but every little step reading ATSC docs and dumping bytes off HDHomeRun felt good. After some time I got a working command line tool that could output every bit of info, EPG was the hardest.
Now with the help of AI, I had some time and was able to complete the original idea: being able to play OTA channels in a browser. Doing this at home did not make much sense given the apps that we have, but I needed access from outside.
Today I have made public all the work I have done, organized it a little bit, and hopefully it will help anyone else looking for something similar.
You can download the code from https://github.com/yurguis/skywave, build your containers and start watching in no time. This software also allows you to check the EPG that is available offline (via your tuner), no internet required. I have also added limited recording capabilities as well as recordings management.
There is room for a lot more and I'll keep adding stuff I find useful.
A hobby project I finally finished: HDHomeRun in a browser
Re: A hobby project I finally finished: HDHomeRun in a browser
Does this work in Windows or only linix?
I see from the GitHub it only works with ATSC 1.0. I assume because current chrome browsers can not decode AC4 soundtrack files?
I use Media Player Classic-HC with the K-Lite codec pack that includes an AC4 codec. This player will play ATSC 3.0 direct from the HDHR tuners.
I see from the GitHub it only works with ATSC 1.0. I assume because current chrome browsers can not decode AC4 soundtrack files?
I use Media Player Classic-HC with the K-Lite codec pack that includes an AC4 codec. This player will play ATSC 3.0 direct from the HDHR tuners.
Re: A hobby project I finally finished: HDHomeRun in a browser
It's PHP so it will run wherever PHP is supported. The easiest setup is via Docker.
No ATSC3.0 support at this moment.geriakt wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:47 am I see from the GitHub it only works with ATSC 1.0. I assume because current chrome browsers can not decode AC4 soundtrack files?
I use Media Player Classic-HC with the K-Lite codec pack that includes an AC4 codec. This player will play ATSC 3.0 direct from the HDHR tuners.
Re: A hobby project I finally finished: HDHomeRun in a browser
I have added some limited ATSC3 support since my last reply. For AC4 you'll have to build/use what's available, all explained in the README file. Have only tested OTT channels so far because are the only ones available in my area, OTA channels are encrypted so I can't test them.geriakt wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2026 8:47 am I see from the GitHub it only works with ATSC 1.0. I assume because current chrome browsers can not decode AC4 soundtrack files?
I use Media Player Classic-HC with the K-Lite codec pack that includes an AC4 codec. This player will play ATSC 3.0 direct from the HDHR tuners.
If your channel is running an app you might be able to run it as well and play with it.
Re: A hobby project I finally finished: HDHomeRun in a browser
This is really intriguing... thanks for sharing!