Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Frank Hagan

Re: Encryption

Post by Frank Hagan »

BLueSS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:10 pm Ok, so I'm a bit unclear here. I'm an owner of HDHomeRun FLEX 4K.

Is my device going to be able to encrypt the DRM channels?

If not, I'll be selling it for something else that can.
The only add on devices that can decrypt the DRM channels right now are single boxes that attach directly to your TV. There is no "network tuner" device like the Flex 4k that can decrypt the DRM channels and display them on any TV or device on your network. That rules our *****, Plex, Channels or other software that makes your OTA signals work over your network. That means one box per TV is required. I think it also means you won't be able to view channels on your tablet, phone or computer.

From what I've read here, SD is working with them to make the Flex 4k work. SD has said that when the fix is complete, it will be a firmware update to our devices, and won't require new hardware.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

BLueSS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:10 pm Ok, so I'm a bit unclear here. I'm an owner of HDHomeRun FLEX 4K.

We are still moving forward with DRM support for Android clients. A3SA has not yet given us a path forward for other platforms, but when they do we will support those platforms. DRM may still come with limitations (especially for third party applications), and it will still be worth it to push back against DRM even when we have support for our own app.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

NOT anytime soon it won't.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

See the first page of this thread for what is planned/hoped for future development. It will depend on your player device(s):

viewtopic.php?p=397462#p397462

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

MikeBear wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:00 am NOT anytime soon it won't.
I will say that there's no practical reason for it to take a lot of time. The A3SA could make this happen tomorrow if they wanted to.

danieljlevine

Post by danieljlevine »

This is great to know! I figured you guys were still developing and testing trying to get the Android DRM network streaming capability working. I didn’t realize you already had all that worked out for live reception.

So now we’re waiting for A3SA to green light your implementation for network (not playback) ATSC 3.0 DRM streaming using your app on select Android devices, or ask you to make changes and resubmit. You should announce stuff like this has been submitted to A3SA for approval. I’m not sure it’s a big step, but it lets us know where your development, that you submitted something to A3SA that complies with their “rules” (until they change/clarify them in a way that makes your approach non-compliant), and that you are awaiting their response. When did you submit something to them? I haven’t checked but perhaps on the first post where you discuss what the plan is, you could say: tested in-house with test keys (Date), submitted to A3SA for DRM certification (Date). That way we can see where things are and how long they sit.

Do you need to set up a new meeting with them to (try to) force a decision to be made? My guess is SD will get approval around the time the other competitor trying to do the same does.

Dxcv

Post by Dxcv »

NedS wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:26 pm

We are still moving forward with DRM support for Android clients. A3SA has not yet given us a path forward for other platforms, but when they do we will support those platforms. DRM may still come with limitations (especially for third party applications), and it will still be worth it to push back against DRM even when we have support for our own app.
NedS, by chance does the Android App support any sort of deep linking to specific channels?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Dxcv wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:04 pm NedS, by chance does the Android App support any sort of deep linking to specific channels?
Not yet, but I think it is on someone's to-do list. I'll ask about it in the meeting I have today with Nick and various others.

beefjerky

Post by beefjerky »

howardc1243 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:21 pm
tjp wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:59 am
nickk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:00 am
Open to feedback - what features/areas do you think there is room to improve on?

AppleTV - we are adding 1080i 60fps support and the ability to disable slice guide for people who are watching by themselves and want to go straight into the grid guide.

Roku - we are adding episode sorting support in the next release.
(Sorry that this is a bit off-topic for this thread)
My biggest gripe with the SD app is difficulty in seeing the signal strength/quality info. Please look at the way the "Channels" app does it. I press the "info" button on my Shield remote and it displays EVERYTHING about the current channel. I love this feature!

Example:
https://ibb.co/YZ0YNBB
the signal strength meter is a soft thing as you move through the channels the meter will show the signal in one of three colors, red for poor yellow for good and green for excellent and the same is applied for signal quality and symbol quality.

depending on where you live you might end-up receiving channels that showing as poor in the signal meter due to the signal quality being higher as well as the symbol quality being higher.
I think you missed their point. If you look at the image posted, the Channels app is showing more than just a basic signal meter. It shows signal strength, signal quality and symbol quality. It would be nice to have this in the official HDHR apps, and not have to use something else. I either have to use a discontinued/outdated Android phone app, or the tuner's web interface. It would also be nice if the unofficial Kodi PVR plugins were able to present this data to Kodi.

LarrySB

Post by LarrySB »

How do you use the tuners web interface for signal strength? Nevermind, figured it out. Did not know that was there!
Larry

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse »

LarrySB wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:18 am How do you use the tuners web interface for signal strength?
Larry
Tune a channel, go to the web interface, select Tuner Status, select the tuner that is in use and there it is

Tuner 0 Status
Virtual Channel none
Frequency none
Program Number none
Modulation Lock none
Signal Strength none
Signal Quality none
Symbol Quality none
Streaming Rate none
Resource Lock none

(I didn't have anything tuned in but you get the idea)

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

beefjerky wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:40 am It would also be nice if the unofficial Kodi PVR plugins were able to present this data to Kodi.
While playing live TV in Kodi hit the "o" key then go to the PVR tab.

beefjerky

Post by beefjerky »

Ken.F wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:37 am
beefjerky wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:40 am It would also be nice if the unofficial Kodi PVR plugins were able to present this data to Kodi.
While playing live TV in Kodi hit the "o" key then go to the PVR tab.
I've done that, but it never shows valid data. I don't remember whether it just shows zeros, or something else, but it wasn't valid

r8ders2k

Post by r8ders2k »

So, what is Sony doing with their TV's ATSC3 support...?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

r8ders2k wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:37 pm So, what is Sony doing with their TV's ATSC3 support...?
Nothing that really can be talked about in this forum as the tv itself doesn't involve SiliconDust's hardware or software but a TV isn't a gateway product and has always been considered a device that can even support connectionless mode and not require internet (but will often use such if connected).