Scribe Quatro Reboots and Becomes Unusable if Recording Set

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
rj3249

Scribe Quatro Reboots and Becomes Unusable if Recording Set

Post by rj3249 »

Hi,

I have a Scribe Quatro that constantly reboots or report errors such as "Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error" if I have a recording set. I am unable to watch live channels during this time. If I cancel the set recording then live channels begin to work again and the device stops rebooting.

I am able to play previously recorded channels. I was also able to record a live channel. Because I can play previously recorded channels it doesn't seem like the disk is dead. The DVR is 37% used.

Device ID: 152040A0

Diagnostics has been turned on.

Help please.

Thank you.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Scribe Quatro Reboots and Becomes Unusable if Recording Set

Post by jasonl »

The drive isn't completely dead, but it is starting to go bad, and there's at least one place on the drive where it is unable to write to. This is causing the device to reboot, and when it reboots, it won't be available for use until it scans all the recordings, and that looks like it's taking about 2 minutes in total. You should replace the drive.

rj3249

Post by rj3249 »

I found the documentation for replacing the drive at https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/scribe_ ... cing_drive

The documentation says that the original drive is a video spec hard drive suitable for DVR use. Can you recommend a replacement drive? Will any 2.5 inch 7 mm drive work ok? HDD vs SDD? Size?

Thanks again.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Any working 2.5" 7mm mechanical drive will be fine, and decent quality SSDs will work. I usually go with Crucial MX500 drives when I need a SATA SSD. I would avoid anything using QLC flash and any sketchy Chinese drives. We've tested most of them and they're all terrible, either just consistently low write speeds, or they'll be fine for a while then just stop responding for 20 seconds before resuming, which kills the recording. You can use whatever size you want, but the form factor basically limits you to a max of 2TB in a mechanical drive or 4TB in an SSD.