HDHomeRun DVR - can we choose network interface?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
riviera128

HDHomeRun DVR - can we choose network interface?

Post by riviera128 »

Hi,

I'm curious- is there any way to instruct which network interface the DVR program uses when it is running on a computer with multiple NIC's?

I have the DVR program running on a TrueNAS core server. The server has 3 separate physical network interfaces, each of which is restricted to a separate VLAN (by means of a managed switch). I wanted to have the DVR and all my smart TV's running the HDHomeRun app on one VLAN. I installed the DVR program in its own jail and assigned it the network interface with the desired vlan. However, I see in the logs that the DVR program listens on all three interfaces (and computers or TVs running the HDHomeRun app on all three VLANS can still access the DVR), so it isn't working as I intended. I am obviously no network expert, because I assumed running a program in a FreeBSD jail would keep it from accessing the network interfaces not assigned to the jail. The three VLANs are firewalled so they cannot communicate with each other.

In any event, until I figure out the mechanics of FreeBSD jails, I was just wondering if there was any way to program the DVR program to use only a specific network interface.

Thanks-Nick

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun DVR - can we choose network interface?

Post by jasonl »

It is not possible to limit it to a specific interface.

Not all that familiar with TrueNAS, but from a quick read it looks like you need to create a bridge interface, add the physical interface you want to use to that bridge, then enable VNET on the jail and have it use that bridge.

riviera128

Re: HDHomeRun DVR - can we choose network interface?

Post by riviera128 »

Ok, thanks- I assumed as much but thought I'd ask anyway.

By the way, that is how I set up my jail and the DVR still can access all 3 interfaces regardless. Something for me to figure out later.

Thanks again