hdhomerun signal App

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Cavi

hdhomerun signal App

Post by Cavi »

I have a hdhomerun, and I have an issue with 1 channel, my local channel 7, I used a ***** before and it showed me two options for the channel, I looked on the net and now have all the channels they braodcast on. I would like to try them and see the signal strength to make sure I am on the right one as the one I am stuck on on the hdhrun has 64% signal strength and it has breakups and if I am recording then it kills the recording, If I am just watching it is fine, the breakups are nothing. I downloaded the hdhomerun signal app, when it is tuned to chanel 7 it shows 3:7.1 KRCR-TV there is a drop down that shows me 3 other options, I click on any one but it does not change. How do I make it change? On the krcr web site they list 4 different options but they list them as : Display name: 07-1 then digital channel: 7.3 the next one is digital channel 5.3 then I have 07-2 digital name: 7.4 and last 7.5 so what am I missing? How do I force the signal app to show the channel I want and if I like it better thn how do I get the homerun to swap it or to add it for me?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: hdhomerun signal App

Post by signcarver »

KRCR has (virtual) 7.1 which is abc, 7.2 which is TBD, 7.3 which is comet and 20.1 which is fox (at physical 7.3, 7.4. 7.5, and 7.6) the signal strength and quality will be the same for any of those channels when tuned to physical channel 7. I believe they are also on physical channel 34 carrying (virtual) 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 20.1 (physical 34.3, 34.4, 34.5 and 34.6) so you would tune to there to find those. also believe there may be a few other stations, depending on your location, that carry KRCR such as 2 different towers that broadcast on physical channel 5.

What did you mean by hdhomerun signal app (there are many but the most common one isn't usually called "signal app")... did you mean hdhomerun_config_gui? The dropdown there lists the subchannels available on that physical channel, since it is the same physical channel there is no difference when selecting another one (but it does allow you to view that particular stream but they are different channel streams). You would have to select another physical channel that the station is also on (such as 34). You would want to go through the other physical channels.

Note that the HDHomeRun app and HDHomeRun dvr from SiliconDust are 100% reliant on the scan (from the device/app not the scan from setup/hdhomerun_config) so there is nothing you can do with those to change them (other than maybe block channel 7 by not using a VHF antenna which would also bock stations you receive on physical channels 2-13 which there may be a few in your area) as the scan will only add one of any virtual channel number. it first adds by resolution (this can become a problem if another station with the same virtual channel number has better resolution but lower quality), then by signal quality (not strength) as strength isn't as important as quality. If you must force using a channel other than what was turned up by the scan, you must use other 3rd party software to view/record than can allow you to manually adjust as with the HDHomeRun apps you are limited to the scan and it will ony add one channel with the same virtual channel number even if you have many.