FCC, DRM A3SC and the public input

ATSC 3.0 Forum
MikeySoft

FCC, DRM A3SC and the public input

Post by MikeySoft »

FCC, DRM and A3SC

What can the public do to influence the A3SC?
I watched Lon’s video about the latest A3SA rules and apologize if you previously answered my question and/or I misinterpreted Lon’s video.

The recent A3SC decisions apparently solves the DRM issues but have said nothing about gateways. Apparently, these rules are only valid until ATSC 1.0 is terminated!

IMO, the recent update of the A3SA rules plus allowing gateways (at least over local area networks) should be valid in perpetuity.

freway01

Re: FCC, DRM A3SC and the public input

Post by freway01 »

MikeySoft wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:53 am FCC, DRM and A3SC

What can the public do to influence the A3SC?
I watched Lon’s video about the latest A3SA rules and apologize if you previously answered my question and/or I misinterpreted Lon’s video.

The recent A3SC decisions apparently solves the DRM issues but have said nothing about gateways. Apparently, these rules are only valid until ATSC 1.0 is terminated!

IMO, the recent update of the A3SA rules plus allowing gateways (at least over local area networks) should be valid in perpetuity.
You may want to read through the 'Encryption' thread (viewtopic.php?t=78888) where all four of the items you are asking about are discussed. There is a link to a press release around page 12 from the A3SA where it says gateway devices are included in the mix, but also a question on how long DRM will be open (turned off) with licensed devices because of the statement about ATSC 1.0. We've all been waiting for some kind of statement from Nickk on the release, but nothing yet.

I've been wondering if the development and testing of DRM isn't aimed at the local OTA regular broadcasts (major networks), but for the sub-channels so local broadcasters can offer subscriptions to local sports. Here in the Phoenix area, one of the independent channels broadcasts Suns games on their primary channel, and on their 'Sports' sub-channel. If DRM is controllable by device and channel, this will allow sports teams to sell their broadcasts directly via OTA broadcasts so consumers don't have to subscribe to a cable or streaming system to watch games. The Diamondbacks sell access to all of their games for $$99 a year via the MLB.COM app, so if they can sell the same package to OTA customer, it's a win-win situation for both.