Samsung UN65KS8000 audio

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
MrDoh

Samsung UN65KS8000 audio

Post by MrDoh »

I'm thinking about getting an HDhomerun. Couple of questions:

1. Intending to use a streaming box with my Samsung UN65KS8000 TV. I'm wondering if I'll get audio with the Apple TV, Roku, and Chromecast 4K? I'm using the speakers in the TV, and don't have an AVR. I know that Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, but the streaming boxes should (at least the Apple TV and Roku do). The audio is digital Dolby/AC3 over HDMI. So I should get audio via the HDMI from the streaming box, right?

2. I've seen some doubters that the Flex 4K will be able to support DRM, when the broadcasters enable and use it according to the ATSC 3.0 standard. What's the current thinking about this issue? I'd hate to get the more expensive version with ATSC 3.0, and then find that in 3 years it doesn't work.

I'd really appreciate some answers. I'm currently trying to make the a competitor's OTA DVR work, and am having a lot of trouble with the apps on the streaming boxes. About to give up, and not sure where to go next.

Thanks!
Last edited by MrDoh on Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Samsung UN65KS8000 audio

Post by signcarver »

I believe the k series should work with ac3 via hdmi... earlier models I wouldn't count on it but I know the m series does but i cant guarantee it in the k as that was released right around the time it changed. This typically only comes into play with most roku's (a modern ultra is often the exception) but other boxes shouldn't have such issue..

Encrypted channels are not yet supported. The "official" word is such support will come some time and to cast any fear, uncertainty or doubt on that is against forum rules. My best guess it can be nearly a year away from what I'm hearing from other device manufacturers and broadcasters but hopefully it will be here much sooner. Time frame will not be known until it actually gets here.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

signcarver wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:52 pm I believe the k series should work with ac3 via hdmi... earlier models I wouldn't count on it but I know the m series does but i cant guarantee it in the k as that was released right around the time it changed. This typically only comes into play with most roku's (a modern ultra is often the exception) but other boxes shouldn't have such issue..

Encrypted channels are not yet supported. The "official" word is such support will come some time and to cast any fear, uncertainty or doubt on that is against forum rules. My best guess it can be nearly a year away from what I'm hearing from other device manufacturers and broadcasters but hopefully it will be here much sooner. Time frame will not be known until it actually gets here.
Thanks!

Hmmm...if it depends on the TV to support AC3, which is Dolby digital as I understand it, I doubt that's happening. That's why I was hoping that the streaming box could change it from that to something that the Samsung TV can process. My TV specifically doesn't support Dolby Vision, don't know for sure about digital Dolby audio (AC3) though.

Just a little confused about what the capabilities of these streaming boxes are in terms of audio. Do they only do passthrough, or is it possible for them to output a specific audio standard via HDMI? In other words, if my TV doesn't do AC3, what chance do I have of getting usable audio via a streaming box?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

If you're using an Apple TV, Fire TV, or Android TV device, you disable surround sound output and it sends plain old stereo audio and it just works. On a Roku Ultra 2020/2022 model, it should do the same, but sometimes it doesn't. Any other Roku will only be able to output AC3, and then you have to hope the TV will receive and decode it.