Unable to communicate with server

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Beerman

Unable to communicate with server

Post by Beerman »

Suddenly I'm getting the Unable to Communicate with Server message and to check that I'm connected to the internet but every other HD device is working just fine. Nothing was updated or changed on the system and both a reinstall and reboot made no difference. Was working fine as recently as last night.
What should I check for?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Unable to communicate with server

Post by nickk »

What player device are you seeing this on?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Windows 11.
I did update Windows last week but it was working after that for a few days. And I have another, very similar system which was updated as well but it's giving me no problems.
Rebooted and reinstalled HDHR with no changes.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Did a complete uninstall and reinstall and still no luck. Thought it could be the antivius and uninstalled it but still no joy.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

jasonl wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:43 pm Can you post a screenshot of the error?
Sure!
https://imgur.com/PaNdtqA

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Do you have any ad blocking systems in use, particularly anything DNS-based like PiHole or OpenDNS?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

No, I definitely do not! Nothing but a W11 update was done since it worked last.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Are you familiar with Wireshark? We'd like to get a capture of what happens when you open the app.
  1. Download and install Wireshark from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html
  2. Open it
  3. You'll see a list of network interfaces in your computer, along with a little graph next to each of the activity. Look for the one with the most activity (excluding the Loopback one) and double click on it.
  4. You'll see a bunch of stuff start to fly by. Open the HDHomeRun app and get the error.
  5. Select the Stop button in Wireshark
  6. Save the capture and email it to support at silicondust dot com along with a link to this thread so we know what it is

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I remember using it many years back. I'll do as you suggest and send a copy to support.
Thanks very much for the help.

howieb

Post by howieb »

I’ve been seeing this for the last several months on my firestick. If I catch it quick, I can channel down or up to another channel, and it will recover, but if it doesn’t, I have to reset the firestick. It used to work great. Now I’m thinking about buying the channels app, which I’ve been using on my Apple TV devices. Never a problem there.