How to force two recordings (antenna + cable) of same content?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
HenryGab
Device ID: 15301857 13182F70 10A70362

How to force two recordings (antenna + cable) of same content?

Post by HenryGab »

I've just added a Flex 4k to my setup, which includes a SERVIO and Prime.

I'd like to record the superbowl both from 1007 (cable's retranmission of broadcast TV, via the Prime) and from 107.1 (original broadcast signal, via the Flex 4k).

I was able to set tasks to record each channel. However, only the task for recording from 1007 shows a red circle ... the task to record from 107.1 shows a grey circle.

Does this mean it will only record one copy?
Presuming yes: Is there any way to force both instances to record?

I'm happy to use any command-line utilities necessary, either for additional info, or as needed to force the dual recording.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: How to force two recordings (antenna + cable) of same content?

Post by signcarver »

If they were at different times, you could force a oneoff but for the same time you can't (within the dvr) as it will see you already got/recording that show without segregating the lan between 2 record engines from seeing both tuners and each other during the event.

Rather than that what I would do is record on a pc for the scheduled time for the one not expected to record by using something like http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v107 1?duration=10800 which would do 3 hours (might want a bit more) then make a file that is the first 64 ts packets of what was recorded by an engine (approx 12000 bytes 64*188) and make a file with that meta data and the recording you made via "browser" (could be a scheduled task to retrieve such but such task would probably need some commands such as wget or curl to retrieve and save such). I might edit the channel info in the metadata but you must take care they are still ts packets so the length can't change within those 188 byte packets.

Then unless you regularly run another engine, if you wish to view with app, take the drive out of the servio, attach it to a Linux box (can be vm or in some cases nas... "has" to be linux because of xfs but not all nas's support xfs) and copy the file (with the metadata) to the sports directory (I believe its /HDHomeRun/sports), put the drive back in servio and it should show to app.

As you can see it isn't real easy.

In theory you should be able to record 2 separate oneoffs through the app... at one time that worked as it had the channel number in the file name... at one time it also put both streams into one file (essentially intermixed the packets) which is why I believe they made it difficult to schedule. Now I believe it just says something like the file already exists unless at different times. I also think in app it won't let you do oneoffs on both as it modifies the rule rather than creates it but I know last I checked one could get both rules up if manually created but they may have since blocked it (I'll try tonight to see).

HenryGab
Device ID: 15301857 13182F70 10A70362

Post by HenryGab »

Wow, that's a detailed response. Let me see if I parsed it correctly:

1. Engine is built to prevent recording two copies of the same show. Even if intentional, it may have caused oddities in past, so not a supported scenario via UI.

2. Providing a seconds-based duration within the URI (e.g., http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v107.1?duration=10800) causes the tuner to be reserved for that client for the specified time.

3. Using such a URI, it sounds as though I could record by dumping the response (which is a transport stream) to disk. As one example, VLC allows entering the URI, and choosing to "Convert" (sic), and then selecting the option to "Dump Raw Input". However, this does not result in the metadata at the head of the file which is normally inserted by the record engine. So, unless manually modified afterwards, even if copied to the Servio, it won't show up correctly in the DVR software.

I'll stop there. You are correct that it's not easy. A blocker is the inability to upload the result w/o mounting in a separate XFS-supporting OS.

I appreciate your taking the time to provide the detailed answer. While the knowledge I've gained is going to be helpful for other edge cases I deal with, it's also enough for me to realize it's not going to be the direction I take in this case.

Thank you, signcarver!

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

I ran into this when trying to set up recordings of the Super Bowl on both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0. I can only imagine this is by design, but thanks for the workarounds posted above.