Recommendations for smooth introduction of Flex 4k to existing setup

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
HenryGab
Device ID: 15301857 13182F70 10A70362

Recommendations for smooth introduction of Flex 4k to existing setup

Post by HenryGab »

I have a Prime and ServIO, and they have served my family well. My family and I almost exclusively use the xbox HDHomeRun client.

Recently, I've purchased a Flex 4k. I'm looking to setup / troubleshoot / align antennas without impact to the current setup, and then add it after I'm sure it's working well.

Any tips or tricks to allow this to be a seamless process?

Example questions:

1. If I connect the Flex 4k to the same network, but do not configure it, will an xbox HDHomeRun client automatically start trying to use the Flex 4k? (I presume no, at least because there was no channel scan done).

2. If I then run a channel scan, will that cause the xbox HDHomeRun client to immediate start trying to use the Flex 4k for new recordings?

3. Other than isolating the Flex 4k onto a separate network, is there an easy way to prevent the Flex 4k from "joining" until I explicitly do something, while still allowing me to do some test recordings on the Flex 4k?

Thanks!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Recommendations for smooth introduction of Flex 4k to existing setup

Post by NedS »

With no channels the FLEX won't be used, but the HDHomeRun app will bug you every time you open it, because it will assume that you want to run a channel scan on your new unit. If you have a formatted hard drive connected it will be seen as a possible recording location for the PRIME.

As soon as the FLEX has channels that match recording tasks/rules, the DVR will try to use it. You can set recording tasks to use a specific channel number, and that would avoid the FLEX from being used.

HenryGab
Device ID: 15301857 13182F70 10A70362

Re: Recommendations for smooth introduction of Flex 4k to existing setup

Post by HenryGab »

Ok, thanks. I will have to keep it on a separate network segment for initial setup and configuration then. I appreciate your response ... it helps me plan the rollout.

And if things go well, I may eventually cut the cord for local channels. Local provider only charges $10 for "limited basic" cable ... but fails to inform that there is a $25/month (!) "retransmission fee". Hoping the antenna and Flex 4k allows me to drop the local channels entirely....