File format for DVR recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
sirlou

File format for DVR recordings

Post by sirlou »

Hiya, considering switching to the SD DVR service and was wondering what file format the recording software uses. MP4?
Can I play them with other applications or only the DVR application?

Currently I use NextPVR and Schedules Direct for my EPG. My recordings are save to local storage and transcoded to MP4 so I can play anywhere.

Any info much appreciated!

Lou

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: File format for DVR recordings

Post by signcarver »

Its a ts with a .mpg extension (some software may required it be renamed with .ts to play in it but SD's software requires .mpg. Codecs are whatever your station broadcasts unless you happen to have one of the old extends in us that is usually mpeg2 and ac3 for atsc1 and hevc and ac4 for atsc3, others may use h.264 and even aac.

The first 64 ts packets also contain the metadata (has to be there for the dvr to pick it up if you wish to import).

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

signcarver wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:05 pm Its a ts with a .mpg extension (some software may required it be renamed with .ts to play in it but SD's software requires .mpg. Codecs are whatever your station broadcasts unless you happen to have one of the old extends in us that is usually mpeg2 and ac3 for atsc1 and hevc and ac4 for atsc3, others may use h.264 and even aac.

The first 64 ts packets also contain the metadata (has to be there for the dvr to pick it up if you wish to import).
OK, and converting the TS to MP4 is non-problematic? I'm assuming folx use VLC's built in transcoder, or some similar program.

Any advice/experience on doing so is much appreciated. My current system OK well but I think the SD DVR software will be more reliable than my freeware version.

thanks in advance,
Lou

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

Changing the container without transcoding is trivial and fast. However, most reasonably sophisticated players should have no problem handling a TS, even if it's mislabeled as .mpg.

techpro2004

Post by techpro2004 »

fyi, mcebuddy can convert media files from other sources to hdhomerun dvr compatible with the correct metadata structure.