Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
nyjklein

Re: Encryption

Post by nyjklein »

Cabal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:15 pm Yes, please don't change this. Fallback works well for recording because I'm not usually there to correct it. But if I'm holding the remote, I want it to show me the channel I click on, even if it can't be viewed - whether that's due to DRM or a bad signal.
I agree, no automatic channel switch for live TV. Perhaps a button for a user initiated quick jump could be added?

Jeff

HoTst2

Post by HoTst2 »

nickk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:11 pm
leerandall wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 pm Got it. Thank you. Is there a particular reason why it couldn't do the same for live TV also?
1) Recording works by TV show/episode so it only matters that it is the same episode, not that the channel is 100% the same.
2) Thinking it would be confusing if you select channel 102.1 and it tunes or jumps to 2.1.
Hi Nickk;

Anything to be forthcoming from you on the recent alleged "great news" from the A3SA on the technical standards for DRM compatibility for gateway devices?

Is this really any kind of a breakthrough, or nothing really new and just a lot of hype as NedS claims?

Thanks ....

danieljlevine

Post by danieljlevine »

This paragraph is interesting to me:
The new A3SA DVR specification supports in-home streaming to applications hosted on common media consumption platforms such as Android, Fire, Roku, WebOS, and Tizen, with iOS support in process. The spec supports dynamic memory provisioning for media playback (an advantage for consumer devices) and enables developers of new NEXTGEN TV platforms to bring to market innovative new options.
It specifically calls out iOS support as “in process”, which seemed like a rosier outlook of what to expect than from SD, which may not be merited, but nevertheless. Also Microsoft Windows and Xbox are notably absent from the list.

Also this “dynamic memory provisioning” being touted. What does this “innovation-enabling capability” enable in the future for NextGen TV?

commonman27

Post by commonman27 »

Maybe off-topic, but something I noticed today is that a local NBC ASTC 3.0 station is no longer using encryption and is now accessible to me, after about probably a year of being encrypted (don't recall exactly when it was switched on). Wonder if this is temporary, and if not, what the reasoning was for turning it off. Hopefully it stays this way and maybe becomes more widespread

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

commonman27 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:37 pm Maybe off-topic, but something I noticed today is that a local NBC ASTC 3.0 station is no longer using encryption and is now accessible to me, after about probably a year of being encrypted (don't recall exactly when it was switched on). Wonder if this is temporary, and if not, what the reasoning was for turning it off. Hopefully it stays this way and maybe becomes more widespread
Mine has done that a few times, and turned it right back on after. So, don't expect that they are being nice and leaving it off.

commonman27

Post by commonman27 »

MikeBear wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:58 pm Mine has done that a few times, and turned it right back on after. So, don't expect that they are being nice and leaving it off.
Damn. Got it, thanks for the heads up

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

Our CBS network station here in the Detroit area has been on and off with DRM a few times over the last few months as well.

Flyoffacliff

Post by Flyoffacliff »

signcarver wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:47 am And that would be behind an NDA (want some "proof" of the power of the NDA, look at what was removed from the first post of this thread about a week ago). But yes the broadcasters do call the shots as they are the voting members.
What was removed?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I won't directly say since its removal somewhat states we probably shouldn't be taliking about such but nickk had made a post that for me is on the start of page 2 and a few posts later someone had quoted that section.

wahoodude

Post by wahoodude »

Hey neat there's an ATSC conference coming up in June.

https://www.atsc.org/events/nextgen-bro ... onference/

It might be the only place to advocate for TV watchers to have a seat at the table where the decisions that affect us are actually made

It costs "only" $1000 for non-members to attend.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

NedS wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:53 pm
freway01 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:01 am If this release is BS, why doesn't SD issue it's own press release stating this, and file a complaint to the ATSC committee and the FCC stating that their PR announcement failed to provide the requirements for a gateway DVR? Try putting the heat on the A3SA and call them out so consumers know that is the broadcasters who are holding up the process and not the equipment manufactures.
I believe Nick is working on such a statement.
It's been over a week since the A3SA press release and I haven't seen a response from Nickk regarding what was released. Is it good or is it bad? Did SD get the final requirements you were waiting for to finish development to the changes to the Flex 4K's firmware and DVR software so Flex 4K owners can start watching and recording 3.0 DRM content? I know that none of the broadcasters are broadcasting in 4K, but the ATSC 3.0 video I have from the unencrypted Fox channel in my area looks a lot sharper and crisper than the simulcast 3.0 version.

ericdsa

Post by ericdsa »

MikeBear wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:58 pm
commonman27 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:37 pm Maybe off-topic, but something I noticed today is that a local NBC ASTC 3.0 station is no longer using encryption and is now accessible to me, after about probably a year of being encrypted (don't recall exactly when it was switched on). Wonder if this is temporary, and if not, what the reasoning was for turning it off. Hopefully it stays this way and maybe becomes more widespread
Mine has done that a few times, and turned it right back on after. So, don't expect that they are being nice and leaving it off.
Maybe say what market this NBC station is in might be helpful. Thanks

commonman27

Post by commonman27 »

ericdsa wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:59 pm Maybe say what market this NBC station is in might be helpful. Thanks
The station I'm referring to is in Columbus, OH

markvidonic

Post by markvidonic »

In Charlotte, 4 of 5 ATSC3 channels have gone DRM.
Like everyone else, waiting to hear SD’s take on A3SA’s press release.
Too much second guessing, misinformation, etc. out there.
Once SD responds, we’ll know.

Frank Hagan

Post by Frank Hagan »

I don't think there's really anything in the A3SA's press release that tells us anything new. To me, it looks more like a PR response to criticism about their rank incompetence in moving ATSC 3.0 forward. They are attempting to shift the focus from their slug-like movement to the streaming device manufacturers.