Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
hdmkv

Re: Encryption

Post by hdmkv »

Recently tried the ********* and **** boxes (latter is getting censored for whatever reason; [link removed by moderator])... they suck. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting impatient with DRM'd ATSC 3.0 channels being (at least) watchable with my HDHR Flex 4K, which is why I bought both ********* and **** boxes to try out... But, the worst thing about them is tuner sensitivity. Poor. The boxes themselves are cheap quality. The Android-based OS is slow. HDHR is just a better, more mature product. I'm not being paid by SD, just sharing my experience... hoping that ATSC encryption & DVR get solutioned soon.

xmguy
Device ID: 10A0A745, 10A35BB4, 10A1FB8E (HDFX-4K (X3) ), 13283747 (Prime)

Post by xmguy »

hdmkv wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm Recently tried the ********* and **** boxes (latter is getting censored for whatever reason; [link removed by moderator])... they suck. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting impatient with DRM'd ATSC 3.0 channels being (at least) watchable with my HDHR Flex 4K, which is why I bought both ********* and **** boxes to try out... But, the worst thing about them is tuner sensitivity. Poor. The boxes themselves are cheap quality. The Android-based OS is slow. HDHR is just a better, more mature product. I'm not being paid by SD, just sharing my experience... hoping that ATSC encryption & DVR get solutioned soon.
I'll be blunt. The **** box was so bad at receiving, I gave it away. I have the Zinwell, It does decode as well as the SD HDHR4K. But It's a viewer. That's all. I look forward to the day the SD can add it's name to the DRM decoder, and recording list too. Since my market changed their code rate, I can get them now. I cannot get their 1.0 very well at all (too much multi-path). Naturally I'd like to see DRM go out the door. But that's been discussed to death.

But hdmvk, is the ********* really as bad as the Atlanta one? That one was horrible for my fringe area, that the HDHR4k had NO issues with, nor did the Zinwell.

hdmkv

Post by hdmkv »

It's as bad. I'm in a bit of a fringe area as well, using a Televes DATBOSS LR Mix Hi-VHF UHF Long Range Antenna in my attic. I get solid ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 reception w/HDHR, but poor with both with **** & *********.

BTW mods, why can't we talk about ****? Why the censorship?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Edit... I do expect this post to get moderated but this forum is supposed to be only about the HDHR so talks of other brands shouldn't be encouraged.

They haven't got around to add ZB to the list of bad words. t@b10 is on it as well as others... tivo used to be on it but they came out with an android device that can run the app... the A*** and the ZW (from cm) can also run the HDHomeRun app.. but the ZB can't so technically it should be the one censored but it costs much more and has fewer tuners than a flex4k.

I find the current ZB tunes just as well as the ZW (needed only 3dB attenuation on ZB dual)... but they originally shipped with 30dB of attenuators and I needed it all at first, they recently replaced mine with the newer model that really didn't need any other than I needed the -3dB for 1 ATSC3 station. I prefer the HDHR and its DVR but the STBs work well for encrypted content if you absolutely must have it now.

xmguy
Device ID: 10A0A745, 10A35BB4, 10A1FB8E (HDFX-4K (X3) ), 13283747 (Prime)

Post by xmguy »

I have 3 3.0 SiliconDust models, and Quattro 1.0. So I'm way invested in the HDHR system. I need a method to watch & record my WTVF (CBS) station that isn't cable, etc. As far as the ZB and AD boxes, I had/have them both running the native HomeRun APP! :P I also use their DLNA with VLC. I'll have to see how much loss in dB I get with the ZB. Since my 3.0 S/N is between 16-21 dB. It doesn't take much to lose it. DRM or not.

stevebruzonsky

Post by stevebruzonsky »

I am tempted by ********* for DRM decryption, DVR features and supposedly in future being able to have a main unit and then use an app with my Appletv4k streaming boxes around my home. But I have learned over the years that promises are just - promises. Which have in the AV Industry sometimes turned into nothing but commercials to sell products and vaporware. Plus my local OTA Phoenix stations don't do 4k or HDR yet anyway. So I am enjoying my HDHomerun 4k with 4 tuners and using the Channels DVR feature. I guess I have no choice but to patiently wait until things change (local stations broadcast 4k and/or HDR; and hardware/software support for this). I have been using my HDHomerun 4k for several years now and very happy with it!

Flyoffacliff

Post by Flyoffacliff »

I have been keeping up with this thread for months and honestly don't care about the delays as much as the censorship. Imagine if you posted a message on a Google forum about how the Pixel phone is better than the iPhone and then the word changes to i&hon# or ******, even though you were not criticizing it or anything.

I get that you are allowed to do whatever you want with your website, but it is quite childish and doesn't speak well of the company and products. It honestly making me want to take to take this discussion to a site that is a Google search away, and not buy SD equipment anymore.

Feature delays are fine, but trying the censor the internet in 2024 doesn’t work.

Freekick123

Post by Freekick123 »

Flyoffacliff wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:58 am I have been keeping up with this thread for months and honestly don't care about the delays as much as the censorship. Imagine if you posted a message on a Google forum about how the Pixel phone is better than the iPhone and then the word changes to i&hon# or ******, even though you were not criticizing it or anything.

I get that you are allowed to do whatever you want with your website, but it is quite childish and doesn't speak well of the company and products. It honestly making me want to take to take this discussion to a site that is a Google search away, and not buy SD equipment anymore.

Feature delays are fine, but trying the censor the internet in 2024 doesn’t work.
I don't have brand A, T, or Z. I don't want them, I have HDHR boxes. This thread is cluttered enough as it is without people posting about those brands. If I had one, I certainly wouldn't look here for info, I'd go to their site. So, censor away.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

FYI - the policy is in place because of how search engines index content.

Our forum rules can be found here:
viewtopic.php?t=65678

gore

Post by gore »

A quick side note: I got an LTE filter for my antenna and I am now able to watch a few of the ATSC 1.0 channels, and the 3 unencrypted ATSC 3.0 channels are still perfectly stable at 70 miles distance. The ones that are encrypted are available on ATSC 1.0 so I'm good for a while until such time as they decide to go ahead and encrypt the Fox and two independent stations' ATSC 3.0 signals. I guess the new AT&T 5G tower two blocks from my house was the culprit.

KingdomeCome

Post by KingdomeCome »

[removed by moderator]

stevebruzonsky

Post by stevebruzonsky »

OK Lets try this again and see if what I suspect is AI moderation (not a real person) will again ******* when I mention some other company's product:

I am tempted by a ****** (of a) box for DRM decryption, DVR features and supposedly in future being able to have a main unit and then use an app with my Appletv4k streaming boxes around my home. But I have learned over the years that promises are just - promises. Which have in the AV Industry sometimes turned into nothing but commercials to sell products and vaporware. Plus my local OTA Phoenix stations don't do 4k or HDR yet anyway. So I am enjoying my HDHomerun 4k with 4 tuners and using the Channels DVR feature. I guess I have no choice but to patiently wait until things change (local stations broadcast 4k and/or HDR; and hardware/software support for this). I have been using my HDHomerun 4k for several years now and very happy with it!

stevebruzonsky

Post by stevebruzonsky »

OK its obvious now that its AI automatic moderation here. Using the word z-r triggers it.

I am tempted by that other company's product whose name starts with z and ends with x for DRM decryption, DVR features and supposedly in future being able to have a main unit and then use an app with my Appletv4k streaming boxes around my home. But I have learned over the years that promises are just - promises. Which have in the AV Industry sometimes turned into nothing but commercials to sell products and vaporware. Plus my local OTA Phoenix stations don't do 4k or HDR yet anyway. So I am enjoying my HDHomerun 4k with 4 tuners and using the Channels DVR feature. I guess I have no choice but to patiently wait until things change (local stations broadcast 4k and/or HDR; and hardware/software support for this). I have been using my HDHomerun 4k for several years now and very happy with it!

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

stevebruzonsky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:14 pm OK its obvious now that its AI automatic moderation here.
LOL. You know this forum software has been around since long before the current AI hype cycle, right? This is not new behavior.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Apple TV does not support Widevine or DTCP2 - it will not work for ATSC 3.0 DRM protected channels.

Apple TV 4K models support all ATSC 3.0 unencrypted formats. The problem is specific to ATSC 3.0 DRM.