Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
freway01

Re: Encryption

Post by freway01 »

Frank Hagan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 am I don't think there's really anything in the A3SA's press release that tells us anything new. To me, it looks more like a PR response to criticism about their rank incompetence in moving ATSC 3.0 forward. They are attempting to shift the focus from their slug-like movement to the streaming device manufacturers.
If there is nothing new in the release that Nickk and SD that they haven't already told us, why can't they just come out and say so? It's been over a week since the A3SA's release and all we've heard from SD is Nickk is reviewing the document and preparing a statement. Where's the statement?

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

I'm sure Nick will respond when he has time to digest the information he has received. The switch-over is a LONG ways off.

MikeySoft

Post by MikeySoft »

Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on 2023 Samsung televisions?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

MikeySoft wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:59 pm Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on 2023 Samsung televisions?
From my understanding of the requirements it isn't possible for an app on a Samsung TV to meet requirements. I plan to ask A3SA for clarification.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

nickk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:51 pm
MikeySoft wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:59 pm Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on 2023 Samsung televisions?
From my understanding of the requirements it isn't possible for an app on a Samsung TV to meet requirements. I plan to ask A3SA for clarification.
Nickk, is the goal of the A3SA and it's DRM security to allow broadcasters to turn on/off access to their breakfasts by individual device (ATSC 3.0 tuner)? This would allow local stations to use sub-channels for subscription services.

As an example, a sports team could sell a subscription for their games to viewers so they can watch the games OTA without the need for cable, a Live TV service, or an internet subscription. Here in the Phoenix area, one of the local channels broadcasts most of the Suns games are broadcast OTA using the stations primary channel, and one of the sub-channels they call AZ Sports. If broadcasters are going to be able to enable/disable viewing of a channel using DRM, the local broadcasters could contract with sports teams to broadcast games as a subscription and use DRM on their sports channel, and use their main channel for regular programming. Is this the goal of the A3SA?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Not the "goal" but a possibility.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

freway01 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:11 am
nickk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:51 pm
Nickk, is the goal of the A3SA and it's DRM security to allow broadcasters to turn on/off access to their breakfasts by individual device (ATSC 3.0 tuner)? This would allow local stations to use sub-channels for subscription services.

As an example, a sports team could sell a subscription for their games to viewers so they can watch the games OTA without the need for cable, a Live TV service, or an internet subscription. Here in the Phoenix area, one of the local channels broadcasts most of the Suns games are broadcast OTA using the stations primary channel, and one of the sub-channels they call AZ Sports. If broadcasters are going to be able to enable/disable viewing of a channel using DRM, the local broadcasters could contract with sports teams to broadcast games as a subscription and use DRM on their sports channel, and use their main channel for regular programming. Is this the goal of the A3SA?
The ONLY goals for DRM/Encryption are to protect their programming from being copied and shared, AND the biggie one: to stop companies such as a new Aerio or Locast (or just pirates in general) from grabbing the signal and rebroadcasting it without paying retrans fees.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

The Supreme Court has ruled on the 'Locast' case because they were making user 'donate' to get their service to get around the 'non-profit' clause, but if you failed to donate, you got shutdown from the service. There is a new company in Boston that is trying to startup a similar service, but the jury is still out on that. Some people say it's legal and other say it's not. Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.

If you read the news release from the A3SA a week and a half ago, they clearly stated that the rules allow for the copying of content through a gateway device, and that content can be shared on all of the devices in the home network. If the sole goal of the A3SA (the broadcasters) is to prevent all ATSC 3.0 signals to be secured with DRM, I believe the FCC will step in, but because they haven't yet, I think they are waiting to see how the broadcasters use DRM. If it is for the reasons I threw out in an earlier thread, it makes sense that they haven't stepped in yet.

Until Nickk comes out and clearly states what is going on and I have access to the ATSC 1.0 signal, which is almost the same of what is being broadcast on 3.0 (no 4k broadcasting yet), I'm not going to get too excided anymore.

RMNB

Post by RMNB »

I think I'm rooting against ATSC 3.0 because of encryption, at least as a replacement for ATSC 1.0 in 2027. I bought the HD Homerun 4K before ATSC 3.0 came to my area because arrival was imminent. When it did arrive, I couldn't distinguish any improvement in picture quality but did appreciate the smaller file size of DVR recordings. Now almost all the local stations are encrypted.

The best use I got out of the HD Homerun has been to watch live local sports over Plex when traveling. With encrypted ATSC 3.0, by design, that's not going to be possible even if devices like HD Homerun can decrypt.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

RMNB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:34 pm I think I'm rooting against ATSC 3.0 because of encryption, at least as a replacement for ATSC 1.0 in 2027. I bought the HD Homerun 4K before ATSC 3.0 came to my area because arrival was imminent. When it did arrive, I couldn't distinguish any improvement in picture quality but did appreciate the smaller file size of DVR recordings. Now almost all the local stations are encrypted.

The best use I got out of the HD Homerun has been to watch live local sports over Plex when traveling. With encrypted ATSC 3.0, by design, that's not going to be possible even if devices like HD Homerun can decrypt.
If you read through this thread and others relating to ATSC 3.0 you will see that ATSC 3.0 is in the testing phase. They are working out installation and development bugs so when they finally switch over to ATSC 3.0, it works without problem. We are all waiting for Nickk, of SD, to update us all with his take of the recent announcement regarding the DRM requirements the Broadcasters are trying to put on ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. Any ATSC 3.0 broadcasts currently being sent out by the local Broadcasters, are just simulcasts of the ATSC 1.0 signal. Currently no broadcaster is broadcasting a 4K ATSC 3.0 signal at this time so we aren't missing anything.

For all of us who are monitoring this thread, are are waiting for Nickk to provide us an update on the status of DRM as it relates to the 4K Flex ATSC 3.0 we all have.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith »

That's a loaded, confusing, or at least incomplete question, I think. A Samsung ATSC 3.0 tuner within the Samsung TV can be certified to DRM decrypt if they want to do that. But a 3rd party APP on the Samsung Tizen OS will probably be many years away, if ever.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust »

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

bitemydust wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:53 pm [removed by moderator - see forum rules]
Don't expect it anytime soon. The silence speaks for itself.

gore

Post by gore »

This whole thing has become so tedious that I have just put away my HD HomeRun tuner. I will get it out someday, maybe in a few years when the dust settles on encryption or the day comes when Silicon Dust is able to provide decryption on the current devices. Until then, it is just a piece of junk to me.

The TV stations in my closest market have reduced their transmit power so much that I can no longer receive ATSC 1.0 signals at all, and only one of the ATSC 3.0 signals is being transmitted unencrypted. The ATSC signals are being transmitted at a greater power level or they are more stable here due to the technology, but it doesn't really matter because no one can watch them. It is a completely stupid and ridiculous situation, which makes the device I paid money for completely useless.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

gore wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 am The TV stations in my closest market have reduced their transmit power so much that I can no longer receive ATSC 1.0 signals at all, and only one of the ATSC 3.0 signals is being transmitted unencrypted. The ATSC signals are being transmitted at a greater power level or they are more stable here due to the technology, but it doesn't really matter because no one can watch them. It is a completely stupid and ridiculous situation, which makes the device I paid money for completely useless.
What market are you in? I haven't seen discussion of transmit power reductions in connection with 3.0 lighthouse usage.