Servio - "Storage: Storage filesystem fault"

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
HenryGab
Device ID: 15301857 13182F70 10A70362

Servio - "Storage: Storage filesystem fault"

Post by HenryGab »

Hardware: Prime CC + Servio
Client: XBOX App

Can you review the diagnostics that were uploaded (any over the last couple weeks)? Specifically, is the storage likely dead?

Background

Over the past few weeks, while watching TV or starting new recordings, the video would just stop suddenly.

Today, things went quickly downhill.

Removing and restoring power to the Servio would work for a few minutes. Recordings would all be there, and all was good. Then it would disappear / reboot again.

At one point, it was stable for >5 minutes, and there was an indication of a firmware update, so we updated the firmware (successfully).

Now the Servio is reporting "Storage: Storage filesystem fault", and the webpage for the device now says at the bottom, "Storage is ready to be formatted...", and the button there says, "Reboot and format". There is no option to only reboot the device anymore.

Luckily, I've trained my family to enable diagnostics....

Replacement Servios?

I've been searching, but although the shop lists them, I cannot find them on any of the reseller links (USA) or even used units on ebay.

I am also actively investigating a hard drive swap. I know I would need a 7mm high (or less) drive. However, I used to work with that industry closely, and it's gotten difficult to sift wheat vs. chaff and feel confident that any replacement drive would work. (It used to be mode pages would allow modification of retry / timeouts, so the same drive could be used for NAS or desktop or RAID ... but now it appears some manufacturers lock the settings to specific models.)

I've loved this setup, and am happy to purchase replacement units. If anyone had good or bad results with a given hard drive replacement, would love to hear your thoughts!

HenryGab

Re: Servio - "Storage: Storage filesystem fault"

Post by HenryGab »

FYI -- Please note that I've temporarily placed a 1TB SSD into the unit ... so please ignore any logs that arrive after 7pm (Pacific), as they will be using the (temporary) SSD....

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

HenryGab wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:22 pm FYI -- Please note that I've temporarily placed a 1TB SSD into the unit ... so please ignore any logs that arrive after 7pm (Pacific), as they will be using the (temporary) SSD....
Is it able to format that new SSD?

HenryGab

Post by HenryGab »

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, the new SSD formatted successfully, and has been recording shows since that post without any noticable issue. I could not find a replacement SERVIO for sale anywhere, so I bought a Flex 4K, as it has a USB port for external storage and seems able to be used for the same purpose (even if not using the ATSC antennas).

The system had exhibited problems periodically before the SERVIO's hdd finally gave up. I wish the hdd oems would actually report pending failure via SMART, but ... IIRC, it showed clean in the last report. I know this is not something in the control of SiliconDust ... in fact, you and Nick have been so outstanding that, even though I'm grandfathered in via the kickstarter, I intentionally switched to a paid subscription some time back. 8-)

My next steps:
1. hooking the old hdd via a USB dock, seeing if it enumerates, and if so, mounting it on a linux VM to see any recordings are salvagable.
2. Looking for a 5mm replacement drive rated for 24/7 AV use (for the SERVIO, as I don't trust flash to have long lifetime)
3. Looking for a USB storage drive rated for 24/7 use (for the Flex 4k)

Do you have any interest in results?

If you do any fault analysis, I'd be happy to send the dead drive in (as a courtesy, no charge, waiving any privacy, etc.) if there's any chance it might shed light on anything. (and, having previously been the dev owner of disk.sys / classpnp.sys in Windows, I expect the chances there are thin ... but again ... courtesy offer).

Thanks Ned!