Across Multiiple Networks

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
SMLW

Across Multiiple Networks

Post by SMLW »

Without using a server like Plex, can these turners stream raw through routers? We have 280 units. Each has its own router. All routers are connected to the same main network. We want to be able to put the HD Homerun app on all the tvs in the 280 units and have them connect to the main network where the turners are. Is there a way to do this? Thanks

Cabal

Re: Across Multiiple Networks

Post by Cabal »

You aren't going to get very far with a quad tuner shared among 280 units. You probably will want to contact SD directly about their commercial offerings:

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/commercial/

SMLW

Post by SMLW »

I did talk to them. They said they only provide the equipment and to come here to ask how to do it. I was shocked by that but, here I am.

pkscout

Post by pkscout »

Deleted my somewhat snarky post. Well, edited it with this message since I can't figure out how to delete a post.
Last edited by pkscout on Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

In theory you could purchase 70 x 1U units (each unit contains 4 x 4-tuners) so you have a 4 tuner module for each door. We would have to figure out detection and mapping but we can work with you on that.

The more ideal solution would be to use ~5 x 1U units (5 units = 80 channels) and then we do some cleaver mapping with a server or 2. We designed this out on paper earlier this year but it needs a driving customer to make it happen.

Are you looking to deliver live TV (only), offer a DVR service, or offer the option for a in-home DVR box?

SMLW

Post by SMLW »

Hi Nickk,

TV Only. We are ready to make this work. :) The detection and mapping has been the main problem. How do you get the tv app to see the tuners through a consumer's router. We only want to make 5 channels available. ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and FOX. Thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

SMLW wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:19 pm Hi Nickk,

TV Only. We are ready to make this work. :) The detection and mapping has been the main problem. How do you get the tv app to see the tuners through a consumer's router. We only want to make 5 channels available. ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and FOX. Thanks
How many concurrent viewings per door?

SMLW

Post by SMLW »

There are less then 40 permanent residents. The rest are vacation units. I have no way of guess how many might watch the locals. I'm sure most will be streaming something else most of the time. Any chance I could call you about this? Or you could call me. I can PM you my info if you like.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

For a MDU, wouldn't a TECH unit multicasting (and using something like MuMuDVB or DVBlast) be a better fit for this type of situation? You can provide IPTV STBs, or perhaps a main TV pre-configured for the system, much like how hotels do it.

SMLW

Post by SMLW »

I would love to know how hotels do it. Not sure why SiliconDust doesn't have a commercial tv app that would allow you to put the Static IP addresses of the tuners in. That would make this so simple. Is there a way to request that?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Post by kyl416 »

Most hotels sign deals with pay TV providers because guests expect consistent reception and certain "must have" channels like The Weather Channel, CNN, ESPN and some of the kids channels like Nick, CN and/or Disney.

The basic ones just provide what the local cable system has, although with the move to all digital it now requires either a converter in each room or a bank of converter boxes in the utility room connected to QAM modulators. Some of the bigger chains have deals where the cable system manages it with a custom virtual channel lineup.

DISH and DIRECTV have standalone products that let them pick several dozen channels to modulate into a QAM lineup or an option that involves a receiver with custom Hotel firmware in each room.

The ones that do it without a converter box in each room also use TVs with custom firmware that supports Pro:Idiom encryption so they can carry HD channels and in room VOD purchases.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Many TV manufacturers offer models that allow a user/owner to setup an IPTV source; SiliconDust TECH units allow you to specify tuners to certain frequencies/channels at startup, and broadcast those full muxes; using something like DVBlast to filter the individual PIDs into unique streams and serve an M3U playlist, you could use one 4x4 tuner, one physical server demuxing the streams, and a few switches to deliver all OTA streams over IP to every unit.

(Wow, that was quite the run on sentence.)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Suggest we set up a call - I will email you.

SMLW

Post by SMLW »

Thanks Nickk. :)