ATSC 1 over ATSC 3

ATSC 3.0 Forum
bh56

ATSC 1 over ATSC 3

Post by bh56 »

So, I understand the challenges with ATSC3 with DRM. I decided to buy a HDHomeRun Flex 4k, knowing this and that basically ATSC 3 that is encrypted won't work.
I know the Flex 4k has both ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 tuners. From the channel selector on the app, I can't tell what might be an ATSC 3 channel. My questions is, if a channel is encrypted, can I disable it so it won't show up as an option. And if so, how. I just got the Flex 4 and waiting for an antenna to further test it out as my old antenna, doesn't pull in many channels.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Re: ATSC 1 over ATSC 3

Post by kyl416 »

The HDHomeRun adds 100 to the virtual numbers of ATSC 3.0 channels. i.e. ATSC 1.0 KSTP is 5.1, ATSC 3.0 KSTP is 105.1

The web interface's lineup page has a "DRM" icon next to DRM protected channels, you can disable the channel by clicking the star next to the number multiple times until it changes to a red X.

From your previous post, I'm guessing you're in the Minneapolis DMA. At last check, 105.1 KSTP (Hubbard/ABC), 109.1 KMSP (FOX O&O), 123.1 WUCW (Sinclair/CW) and TPT's 102.x channels are all in the clear. Only 104.1 WCCO (CBS O&O) and 111.1 KARE (Tegna/NBC) have DRM protection.

matthewjbauer

Re: ATSC 1 over ATSC 3

Post by matthewjbauer »

bh56 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:28 pm So, I understand the challenges with ATSC3 with DRM. I decided to buy a HDHomeRun Flex 4k, knowing this and that basically ATSC 3 that is encrypted won't work.
I know the Flex 4k has both ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 tuners. From the channel selector on the app, I can't tell what might be an ATSC 3 channel. My questions is, if a channel is encrypted, can I disable it so it won't show up as an option. And if so, how. I just got the Flex 4 and waiting for an antenna to further test it out as my old antenna, doesn't pull in many channels.
I haven't tried this yet, but I'll probably do it so I can remove (hide) the local mega church's 15 religious and educational channels (except for the H&I network). https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/webui#: ... %20hidden).

I have 3 encrypted channels out of the 5 ATSC 3.0 channels I can get. I'm choosing to leave all of my ATSC 3.0 channels alone and ignore them for now because periodically I'll check to see if DRM is removed from a channel or if encryption is finally enabled on the Flex 4k.