HDHR stopped working on my Chromebooks (Devices not found)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Phoenixfury

HDHR stopped working on my Chromebooks (Devices not found)

Post by Phoenixfury »

Admittinly, i'm not sure when the HDHR app stopped connecting to the HDHR (Flex 4K). I think the last time I fired it up was last weekend but not 100% positive about that. When fired up on either of my Chromebooks (HP 14") I get an error stating "devices not found." All of my other devices are finding the HDHR just fine. I can tell you that Chromebooks use Android and my phone is certainly not having an issue with the HDHR. This just seems to be a specific problem with the Chromebook.

Model: HDFX-4K
Device ID: 10A560F9
Firmware: 20230719

Chome OS Version 117.0.5938.144 (Official Build) (64-bit)

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR stopped working on my Chromebooks (Devices not found)

Post by nickk »

It looks like the Chromebook we use for testing is no longer receiving updates (too old)... is the a modern low cost Chromebook we should be ordering to replace it for testing?

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

nickk wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:55 am It looks like the Chromebook we use for testing is no longer receiving updates (too old)... is the a modern low cost Chromebook we should be ordering to replace it for testing?
I can't tell you off hand what year both of my HP 14" Chromebooks are, but I think my wife got them both on Amazon last year, so they are both still within their 5 years of supported updates. Heck it seems like they update the darn things like every week. However I have no doubt a recent update is the likely culprit though. Heck the update I posted is from this morning, however I noticed the problem last night when I tried to use it. So this problem apparently started occurring prior to this morning's update.

Shininess7474

Post by Shininess7474 »

Same issue around the same timeframe on my Chromebook app. Same device (Flex4K).

mark84405

Post by mark84405 »

I have the same problem that started Nov 5 2023. (Equipment: Quatro HDHR5-4US and HP Chromebook. Record running on Windows 10 PC). I have cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled and reinstalled with no success. HDHomerun apps run correctly on Android TV and Fire TV streaming sticks as well as Windows PCs.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I ordered a 2023 generation Chromebook to test against the latest OS release - it should arrive today.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The new Chromebook arrived - problem reproduced... looking into it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The Chromebook completely blocks Android apps for discovering other devices on the local network. It blocks broadcast, multicast, UPnP/SSDP, and even blocks Androids built in MDNS protocol.

We might have to have to add some form of login screen and lookup the HDHomeRun units associated with your account. Normally we go the other way and use your HDHomeRun unit(s) as they way access your account.

mark84405

Post by mark84405 »

I don't know what changed but as of this morning HDHomerun is now working on my chromebook again. If you fixed something, Thanks

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

mark84405 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 am I don't know what changed but as of this morning HDHomerun is now working on my chromebook again. If you fixed something, Thanks
No change here. I'll try rebooting my Chromebook.

Edit: Rebooted (but did not power off) force stopped, cleared cache, then data, renabled permission to access files. Still doesn't work for me. Didn't check for app update yet. That's next.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Just checked. It's working again. Thank you NickK!

Edit: I spoke to soon. It quit working again.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Working again. (For now?) Hopefully!

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Back to not working. :-(

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

Now back to working for now. Haven't seen any updates on whether or not this is fixed or being worked on. Do you guys have this figured out? Is it fixed? Not fixed? If not fixed, why does it work on occasion?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Phoenixfury wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:36 pm Now back to working for now. Haven't seen any updates on whether or not this is fixed or being worked on. Do you guys have this figured out? Is it fixed? Not fixed? If not fixed, why does it work on occasion?
I have no idea how it is sometimes working for you. As far as I can tell the Chromebook sandboxing of Android apps always blocks network discovery, including Android provided discovery features like MDNS.