no live tv, (no guide access)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
challenge

no live tv, (no guide access)

Post by challenge »

as of today, i am gertting (no guide access) displayed on my devices tab, when i openup the hdhomerun program, be it on windows, android it just displays the recorded tv page, nothing else, i can see the tuner and rescan but i cannot access live programs, please help!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: no live tv, (no guide access)

Post by NedS »

We would like to get some diagnostic data:
  1. Please go to http://hdhomerun.local
  2. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  3. Click System Status
  4. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  5. Go back one page
  6. Click Channel Lineup
  7. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

challenge

Post by challenge »

hi, ,my device id is
12501b64

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

The logs indicate your HDHomeRun was not able to communicate with our servers, but then around 1:00 BST today you made some network changes and it has been fine since then. Is everything working now?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

It looks like something was preventing the HDHomeRun from communicating with our servers. Both the guide server and debug server were not able to communicate with your HDHomeRun for a while, but it seems to be working now. Do you have any network-wide ad blocking like Pi-hole or any special security software running on the network?

challenge

Post by challenge »

i did a little reasearch online and saw issues in the past with dns,
looked for the dns on my router and its not there, factory reset it and still not there

changed it to an old router and its all working fine now

strange that the router has been used for ages with no issues

will have a look at it later, but for the meantime its working

thanks for your help

challenge

Post by challenge »

I'm getting the same again with my current new router.
What's the best DNS servers to use?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

I use Cloudflare DNS, 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1. Strong privacy policy and better performance than alternatives like Google DNS.

challenge

Post by challenge »

Still having issues, the only way I can view tv is to use the channels app as it does not require Internet
Is there anyway to factory rest the unit?

also can the unit be forced to get the EPG data?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

The HDHomeRun did reach the server at 20:55 UTC this evening, so that part of things is working, at least tonight (I don't have a way to see what might have happened previously). Can you re-enable the sending of diagnostic data in the HDHomeRun app and close and reopen it? Would like to see what the app is seeing now.

challenge

Post by challenge »

have re enabled send info

when does it ask for epg data?
is there anyway i can trigger that?

also i would be great if you could still use it with no internet access
without having to use a third party app

going on what i have seen, it will work for a while and then no get epg data, and would like to know when it asks for it so i can trigger that myself

thanks
Last edited by challenge on Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

During normal operation, approximately every 8 hours, the HDHomeRun connects to our server and sends in the data for the channels that are currently enabled on the device, and gets a key back from the server. If it is unable to communicate with the server for some reason, it retries about every 10 minutes until it is successful, then goes back to the ~8 hour cycle. When you open the HDHomeRun app, it finds the HDHomeRun devices on your network and retrieves the channel lineup and the key from each device. The app the sends a request to our server including that key (or multiple keys if you have multiple devices) asking for the guide listings associated with those keys, and the server provides the data. The keys are also used for the DVR system for people who subscribe to that. The point of this system is to make sure that the guide data is only accessible to clients that are actually in contact with a particular HDHomeRun device.

There isn't anything that would be needed to trigger it because if it fails it will sit there and keep trying over and over again until it succeeds.

The code reported in the logs is 'early close', which means the HDHomeRun was able to get the address for the server and was connecting to it and trying to send the data, but something closed the connection first. Do you have any kind of security/firewall/parental control/other such filtering in place on the network?

Did anything change between 20:45 and 20:55 UTC on Wednesday? That's the time interval between the last failure and the first success.

challenge

Post by challenge »

Thankyou for the reply

Nothings changed, that's the strange thing
It's worked fine for years with the same configuration, absolutely nothing changed
I did think it was the router or dns but tried both and its still intermittently not getting data

I'm at a loss what to do with it now

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Who is your ISP and what type of connection is it (cable, DSL, fiber, LTE, satellite, etc.)?

What router are you using currently?

challenge

Post by challenge »

currently using vodaphone 4g lte
and huawei b535 232 router

edit. just tried it again and its working,
nothing changed as ive been out, it probably will fail again later
edit again, not working this morning

does not make sense

can i factory reset it????????