HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Cabal

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by Cabal »

Yes, A3SA is the broadcasters. It is not the content providers. Paramount, NFL, MLB, etc.

zippy

Post by zippy »

ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox (the big 4) are all licensees. maybe they are not content providers.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Cabal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:30 am Yes, A3SA is the broadcasters. It is not the content providers. Paramount, NFL, MLB, etc.
Paramount owns CBS. Disney owns ABC. NBCUniversal owns NBC. TelevisaUnivision owns Univision. Fox also produces its own content. The fact the networks contract with outside providers like NFL and MLB for additional content doesn't make them not content providers themselves.

That accounts for five of the six listed entities. All the broadcasters not obviously associated with production studios get lumped together into the single "Pearl" bucket.

- Trip

zippy

Post by zippy »

Fox owns the rights to various NFL games and provides and produces the broadcast with it's own crew and announcers,etc. If you want NFL produced content it's the NFL network.

decaym

Post by decaym »

For those wanting to talk about (not going to post it) or (not going to post that one either), I would encourage you to go spend time at the AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 thread. Having to wade through piles of "content removed" messages here is becoming very tedious when all I want to know is what progress SiliconDust is making on getting DRM working for their own product.

My FLEX 4K is the only device in my home which is currently hooked up to receive broadcast television. I shouldn't have to read about (some unrelated stuff) just to see what is happening with it on a manufacturer's own forum.

Sorry to gripe. Thank you.

zippy

Post by zippy »

I own a 4K and everyone with a 4K device should be concerned about all aspects of where ATSC 3.0 is and where it's going. If you want to know about DRM you are in the wrong thread. You need the encryption thread., And even in that thread only nickk posts have any meaning. And he's not going to say much until iit's almost done.

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

Trying to put a good spin on all this :D the main thing is, we can all still watch what is on these channels just using the old numbers. There is really next to no difference in them "yet" no 4k, no interactivity I don't think, so really we can wait until this is all worked out. Early adopters always go thru things like this. I can see all the fussing like some do on YT and other places "if" ATSC 1 channels were turned off, but that will not happen for around 5 years they say.

zippy

Post by zippy »

I thought the CEO of ATSC 3.0 and NAB said that 4k content was available. The problem was the current ATSC 3.0 lighthouse structure. The FCC refuses to allocate any new channels for ATSC 3.0. Thus the existing lighhouses have limited capacity. Plus during repack the FCC sold off around 16 RF's.

diplexer

Post by diplexer »

Sorry, but many of us can't receive a lot of the old atsc 1 channels because some are on a low VHF channel or on a transmitter from another direction. Most of the atsc 3 channels are on a powerfull transmitter in a single location that most can pull in. We all don't have the advantage of getting all atsc 1 channels but can on atsc 3.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

diplexer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 am Sorry, but many of us can't receive a lot of the old atsc 1 channels because some are on a low VHF channel or on a transmitter from another direction. Most of the atsc 3 channels are on a powerfull transmitter in a single location that most can pull in. We all don't have the advantage of getting all atsc 1 channels but can on atsc 3.
Most are on very low powered stations not powerful transmitters and often you must be just a few miles away. Some are on stronger transmitters (but very few). Some will provide more "robust" (to use the industry term, my connotation of robust is opposite) plp that can be very weak to need to receive.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

diplexer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 am Sorry, but many of us can't receive a lot of the old atsc 1 channels because some are on a low VHF channel or on a transmitter from another direction. Most of the atsc 3 channels are on a powerfull transmitter in a single location that most can pull in. We all don't have the advantage of getting all atsc 1 channels but can on atsc 3.
How do you know they won't go back to the same low VHF once they transition off of the 3.0 lighthouse transmitters?

I haven't seen much talk on this topic. Sure not every channel is going to jump to the perfect UHF frequency at the same time as they move to 3.0 permanently, right?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Cabal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:42 pm How do you know they won't go back to the same low VHF once they transition off of the 3.0 lighthouse transmitters?
Every market is special, and it is clearly a work in progress, but all the station owners initially suggested (via vigorous hand-waving) that the long term plan is that there will be a reverse lighthouse for ATSC 1.0 transmitters (every station is on one ATSC 1.0 transmitter which means compressed to crap, but *technically* they are offering the channel) that supports the existing ATSC 1.0 only TV's and viewers, and existing stations go ATSC 3.0 (on their various FCC authorized frequencies). This is complicated in the non-flat locations with the desire for "essentially" equivalent coverage for the reverse-lighthouse.

What the broadcasters have been recently pushing is the FCC subsidizes a cheap box that converts ATSC 3.0 to a HDMI output to support existing ATSC 1.0 only TV's and then everyone can go ATSC 3.0.

But, and this deserves to be reiterated, this is still in the vigorous hand-waving stages, and no final approach and decisions have been made.

"Watch this space"

joblo

Post by joblo »

gtb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:01 pm What the broadcasters have been recently pushing is the FCC subsidizes a cheap box that converts ATSC 3.0 to a HDMI output to support existing ATSC 1.0 only TV's and then everyone can go ATSC 3.0.
Not good enough. That box also needs a standard NTSC output for those still using CECBs.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

decaym wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:02 pm For those wanting to talk about (not going to post it) or (not going to post that one either), I would encourage you to go spend time at the AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 thread. Having to wade through piles of "content removed" messages here is becoming very tedious when all I want to know is what progress SiliconDust is making on getting DRM working for their own product.

My FLEX 4K is the only device in my home which is currently hooked up to receive broadcast television. I shouldn't have to read about (some unrelated stuff) just to see what is happening with it on a manufacturer's own forum.

decaym until that busted a3sa get their authentication server working silicondust is stuck in a continuous holding pattern, and nickk and crew i think would like to get the DRM support going.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

howardc1243 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:15 am
decaym wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:02 pm For those wanting to talk about (not going to post it) or (not going to post that one either), I would encourage you to go spend time at the AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 thread. Having to wade through piles of "content removed" messages here is becoming very tedious when all I want to know is what progress SiliconDust is making on getting DRM working for their own product.

decaym until that busted a3sa get their authentication server working silicondust is stuck in a continuous holding pattern, and nickk and crew i think would like to get the DRM support going.
ugh... the ads, the silicondust forum is a whole lot cleaner, nickk you have a diamond in the rough.