List of Supported devices

ATSC 3.0 Forum
nickk
Silicondust

Re: List of Supported devices

Post by nickk »

Just got the new Fire TV 4K (2023 non-Max) set up.

It supports AC4 to EAC3/AC3/PCM "passthrough" and it provides an AC4 system codec.

If you set the Speaker Configuration in the HDHomeRun app to Digital Passthrough it will use the AC4 "passthrough" mode. If you set "5.1 Surround Sound" it will use the AC4 system codec. Both modes should work.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

This is beginning to be the first firetv stick I've liked in a long time, hdhomerun app seems really snappy just wish firetv devices supported cablecard drm then it easily "could" replace most of my other android/Google tv boxes/sticks/dongles. I'll be trying the regular (non max) one next weekend

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

nickk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:54 pm Just got the new Fire TV 4K (2023 non-Max) set up.

It supports AC4 to EAC3/AC3/PCM "passthrough" and it provides an AC4 system codec.

If you set the Speaker Configuration in the HDHomeRun app to Digital Passthrough it will use the AC4 "passthrough" mode. If you set "5.1 Surround Sound" it will use the AC4 system codec. Both modes should work.

Nick
Passthrough works, although it's much lower in volume. Setting it to 5.1 doesn't, I think my receiver has to support AC4 for it to work. Can you add the Digital passthrough option to the Apple tv app?

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

signcarver wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:49 pm MAT not necessarily supports AC4 but it is used for Atmos and I believe transcoding... the codecs list AC3 (Dolby Digital) / EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) / Atmos(DDP+JOC) / AC4(Atmos) / Dolby TrueHD (Atmos)

Just getting HDHomeRun installed on my new 4k Max and trying out the ATSC 3 channels... though nickk stated he was getting one, I turned diagnostics on incase someone at SD wishes to take a look... also discovered we now have a second station in phoenix that is encrypted as now both CBS and NBC are.
This is what I found out so far
Dolby MAT might be defined as an encode/conversion/transport/conversion/decode process, a “bridge” created between compatible Dolby MAT devices for any of the three codecs Dolby has designated to deliver Dolby Atmos content to the home, Dolby Digital Plus/JOC, Dolby TrueHD, and with ATSC 3.0 tuners, Dolby AC-4

Current available sources with Dolby MAT encoders are streaming devices Apple TV 4K with tvOS12 up through current, Roku Ultra 4K, Amazon Fire TV Cube, Nvidia Shield (2019 and later), and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (through TVs with Dolby Atmos certification). Content providers supporting Dolby Atmos include Vudu, Netflix (the Netflix Premium tier is required), HBO Max, and Disney Plus. Game consoles include XBOX One X/S and Sony PS4 (PS4 for Blu-ray Disc playback only). Televisions with ATSC 3.0 tuners in markets with broadcasting use the Dolby AC-4 codec to receive Atmos 7.1.4, plus a dialog enhancement feature called Voice Plus. Volume-leveling is included with the codec, called Real Time Loudness Leveler.

The Apple tv 4k should work if there is a passthrough option.

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

Dolby MAT is basically multi-channel PCM plus Atmos object data. Apple TV 4K is practically the only device use it because Apple refuses to support any pass-through.

Support of Dolby MAT has nothing to do with support of AC-4. Two are unrelated. I'm pretty sure Apple TV 4K does not support AC-4 at all.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

spencer777 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:43 am Passthrough works, although it's much lower in volume. Setting it to 5.1 doesn't, I think my receiver has to support AC4 for it to work.
Passthrough doesn't actually passthrough - it converts to EAC3, AC3, or PCM.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app and repeat the test with the speaker configuration set to "5.1 Surround Sound".
spencer777 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:43 am Can you add the Digital passthrough option to the Apple tv app?
Apple does not support passthrough.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

foxbat121 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:22 pm Dolby MAT is basically multi-channel PCM plus Atmos object data. Apple TV 4K is practically the only device use it because Apple refuses to support any pass-through.

Support of Dolby MAT has nothing to do with support of AC-4. Two are unrelated. I'm pretty sure Apple TV 4K does not support AC-4 at all.
I'm definitely getting true surrounded on my Apple tv 4k, Mat must be doing some sort of encoding of AC4 through Channels DVR.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

nickk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:40 pm
spencer777 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:43 am Passthrough works, although it's much lower in volume. Setting it to 5.1 doesn't, I think my receiver has to support AC4 for it to work.
Passthrough doesn't actually passthrough - it converts to EAC3, AC3, or PCM.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app and repeat the test with the speaker configuration set to "5.1 Surround Sound".
spencer777 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:43 am Can you add the Digital passthrough option to the Apple tv app?
Apple does not support passthrough.
Diagnostics are on. I've been watching and recording Fox atsc 3.0 through Channels DVR and Hdhomerun app. My receiver is set to auto. Channels plays in 5.1, the Hdhomerun doesn't. This is on my Apple tv first generation 4k.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

spencer777 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:28 am Diagnostics are on. I've been watching and recording Fox atsc 3.0 through Channels DVR and Hdhomerun app. My receiver is set to auto. Channels plays in 5.1, the Hdhomerun doesn't. This is on my Apple tv first generation 4k.
This is the expected behavior. The HDHomeRun app works differently to the Channels DVR app.

The HDHomeRun app uses the AC4 support that is built into the player device. If there is no AC4 support the HDHomeRun app falls back to using our cloud transcode service which transcodes to stereo audio. This thread discusses player devices with built in AC4 support (which reminds me I should edit the first post and add player devices that have been released more recently with AC4 support).

I believe the Channels app does software decode of AC4 using the ffmpeg-fork implementation.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

nickk wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:22 am which reminds me I should edit the first post and add player devices that have been released more recently with AC4 support
Would you mind adding:

SEI804 series (Homatics/Dune/RockTek/Nokia)

?

Thanks.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

Xumo stream. This is the joint Xfinity/ Spectrum streaming box. Not sure if it's a closed ecosystem, but specs say it supports AC4

pkscout

Post by pkscout »

spencer777 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:11 pm Xumo stream. This is the joint Xfinity/ Spectrum streaming box. Not sure if it's a closed ecosystem, but specs say it supports AC4
My mother-in-law is in Spectrum territory and got sent some info on this box. I did some more digging. It is completely closed (at least from an app perspective). As in you can't install any apps on it at all. It comes with what it comes with and that's it (unless Spectrum decides to add something).

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

I can confirm native AC-4 support with both

SEI804 series (Homatics/Dune/RockTek/Nokia)

and

Xiaomi TV Box S 2nd Gen

Could they be added to the second post, perhaps?

signde
Device ID: 10A23B5E

Post by signde »

Picked up the latest (2023) Amazon Fire TV stick 4K Max today.

The two remaining major networks in ATSC 3.0 here that have not enabled DRM are now using 5.1 channel audio that I wanted to leverage.

Initial runs of the app with no audio configuration, passthrough, and 5.1 surround all resulted in some flavor of PCM that was various levels of terrible. One option was low volume, one was high volume with crazy boomy bass, and all had bad 5.1 mixing / sounded heavily compressed.

Changed AFTV stick surround sound settings from the default of best available to Dolby Digital Plus, changed HDHR app output to passthrough. AVR is now showing 5.1 channels of DD+ audio input and everything sounds perfect. I think the default AFTV audio setting must be useless.

Quite pleased with the results here.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

signde wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:31 pm Picked up the latest (2023) Amazon Fire TV stick 4K Max today.

The two remaining major networks in ATSC 3.0 here that have not enabled DRM are now using 5.1 channel audio that I wanted to leverage.

Initial runs of the app with no audio configuration, passthrough, and 5.1 surround all resulted in some flavor of PCM that was various levels of terrible. One option was low volume, one was high volume with crazy boomy bass, and all had bad 5.1 mixing / sounded heavily compressed.

Changed AFTV stick surround sound settings from the default of best available to Dolby Digital Plus, changed HDHR app output to passthrough. AVR is now showing 5.1 channels of DD+ audio input and everything sounds perfect. I think the default AFTV audio setting must be useless.

Quite pleased with the results here.
Thanks I was getting out of sync audio your suggestion above fixed for me on my new FireTV max.