PSA: my.hdhomerun.com no longer used to detect HDHomeRun units

Downloads & Instructions
NedS
Silicondust

PSA: my.hdhomerun.com no longer used to detect HDHomeRun units

Post by NedS »

Due to an update to Chrome, the detection script on my.hdhomerun.com that would look to see if you had HDHomeRun devices or DVR installs, no longer works. This also affects a number of other browsers that are based on the Chrome rendering engine, including Edge.

We're looking at options to address this (it's nice to show everything on one page), but thankfully we've been anticipating this issue and have already prepared alternatives to address the web interface.

hdhomerun.local

http://hdhomerun.local - will resolve to the first detected HDHomeRun device on your local network for most web browsers and give you direct access to the web interface.

This is a web page that is hosted directly on the HDHomeRun unit itself, and is the actual brains of what the old my.hdhomerun.com page used to be

If you have more than one HDHomeRun device...

deviceID.local

Each HDHomeRun device made has a "device ID" printed on the bottom of the unit that is made up of 8 digits. This device ID should also show up in some other places, like when your router detects the device on the network, the HDHomeRun app will list device IDs, and there's a command-line utility for Mac, Windows, and Linux that will also list all detected device IDs.

Easiest thing to do is just look at the sticker on the bottom of your box.

If you had a device ID of 104FFFFFF then you would open this link in your web browser while connected to the same local network:

http://104fffff.local

IP address

What happens if the .local addresses don't work? While Windows 10/11, Mac OS, Android, iOS, and most Linux-based OSes should work with such domains out-of-the-box, if you are in a situation it doesn't work, you can use the local IP address of your HDHomeRun device.

This local IP address is assigned by your local DHCP server (this is normally your router that handles this). The specific number will depend on how that router is set up, but for most people you can log into your router's web interface and find the IP address on some kind of status page, that lists all of your locally connected devices.

I'll try to dig up some links on where to find this for the major router brands, but it's normally not hard to find if you log into the router's web interface.
For example, if my router told me that my HDHomeRun was using a local IP address of 10.0.0.8, then I would open this link in my web browser:

http://10.0.0.8

The HDHomeRun app

Some of the reasons to use the web interface for your HDHomeRun is to do channel scans and firmware updates, or to hide or "favorite" channels. Now the HDHomeRun app for Windows, Mac, Android (including Fire TV), iOS, and LG/WebOS can now perform those functions from within the app.

Go into the app settings (the gear icon in the top-right corner of the "Live/Recorded/Discover/Tasks" screen) and click on "Channels" for channel scans, hiding channels, or marking channels as favorites.

When a firmware update is available, the HDHomeRun app should pop up with the Settings -> Devices screen and allow you to trigger an update.

walkerx
Device ID: 1252F21E, 1252F270

Re: PSA: my.hdhomerun.com no longer used to detect HDHomeRun units

Post by walkerx »

do the scans, etc within the apps, take into account if using multiple devices

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

I really miss the Web Page... the Channels in the HDHomeRun APP do not show if a channels is DRM and also it is slow to scroll through hundreds of channels. I find the configui to be more useful.

PS.

How do I tell what DVR's are running and the IP of the DVR ? I do a lot of testing and constantly setting the DVR in different devices . Hard to mange 10 devices and several DVR installations without the Web Page.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Easiest would be my.hdhomerun.com/discover

Depending on your isp, you may see other devices as well.

I always manually configure the port for the dvr so I know the port I don't believe in letting a device on my network without knowing it's ip but the dvr you also need the port as typically it isn't 80 unless a scribe/servio/flex. (for those devices that are dhcp only, I make reservations)

Edit: corrected flex as somehow it changed to plex.
Last edited by signcarver on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Thanks Signcarver that discover command is what I was looking for all my HDHomeRun units have reserved IPS. It did find I had the Synology Docker HDHomeRun container running which I had forgotten I tested.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

walkerx wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:19 am do the scans, etc within the apps, take into account if using multiple devices
Each device will have a scan button:
Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 32762 times

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

EddieP wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:36 am I really miss the Web Page... the Channels in the HDHomeRun APP do not show if a channels is DRM and also it is slow to scroll through hundreds of channels. I find the configui to be more useful.
We still want to find a replacement that can show an at-a-glance view of all devices, and have it be available using a web browser. Ideally, any management options should be available in both the app and in a web interface (especially for people not using our app, etc).

For example, we might be able to create some kind of local web page that auto-detects local HDHomeRun units, and in theory that should be allowed by Chrome, as the issue was mixing unsecure content globally and locally (it might give a warning because it's still not HTTPS, but that's a whole other challenge for locally connected web interfaces). Making all of the page generated locally would be one possible option. Such a page could even be more detailed than the old my.hdhomerun.com page, in theory.

We also need an improved way to do DVR activation, as that still has to be done using FireFox, and it would stop working if FireFox adopts the same security measures as Chrome, which seems likely.

So hopefully we'll have something in the near future that does the same job, if not better, than the old page. Nick is hard at work looking into it.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

Thanks Ned and Nick

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

would be good if could have something that could run through webmin on a ubuntu system without any display connected.

I connect via webmin to do reboots, but would be good could if could install an app just on the machine just to view the configuration (similar to the likes of plex, emby, jellyfish, etc)

could also show you status of recordings, etc and allow you to manage without going into the main app

jomanos

Post by jomanos »

NedS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 pm
We also need an improved way to do DVR activation, as that still has to be done using FireFox, and it would stop working if FireFox adopts the same security measures as Chrome, which seems likely.
Just note, as I responded in my support ticket, that using Firefox does not work for DVR activation. Nor does Safari on MacOS.

There has to be a better way to link the activation key to the device on the network.

Why can't you add an entry field to the device's direct webpage (hdhomerun.local) to manually add the activation key?

Thanks.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

jomanos wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 am
NedS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 pm
Just note, as I responded in my support ticket, that using Firefox does not work for DVR activation. Nor does Safari on MacOS.

There has to be a better way to link the activation key to the device on the network.

Why can't you add an entry field to the device's direct webpage (hdhomerun.local) to manually add the activation key?

Thanks.
That might be a different issue. FireFox and Safari should still work. In any case, we will manually link your DVR subscription.

One idea is to do what you suggest, where a code can be entered into the hdhomerun.local page. Or maybe some kind of QR code, or something easy. We hope to have something up and running for DVR soon.

Anyone else having issues registering DVR should open a support ticket, and Nick can manually link the subscription in the system: https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

I think we could also do with the following in a web page, the app or a seperate app all together
  • Reboot a device
    Unlock a tuner
    Tuner status
    Close tuner stream

TOF

Post by TOF »

I re-upped my DVR about a week ago and couldn't get it to register on Win10 because "No Device found" yet it was merrily playing a football game on one of my computers. Looking on this site I found this to be a not uncommon problem to users of Chrome infected browsers. I spent some time trying to use my paid for subscription for the DVR capability. Since I encountered this problem before on some Gov't websites I loaded a copy of venrable Internet Explorer.

Worked like a Charm. :mrgreen:

mrfreeze1963

Post by mrfreeze1963 »

@NedS and @signcarver

Thank you for the heads-up about the my.homerun.com website no longer working. I had no idea until I saw the post today. Thanks to @signcarver find, I'm able to see both my tuner and DVR information on the same screen. Just have to toggle between JSON or Raw Data tabs in Firefox.

After seeing what happened to @TOF and @jomanos, I'm starting to wonder if I'll have a similar problem when I renew my subscription next month??

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Renewal should not require re-running the activation link. Activation links will still work with FireFox or Safari (I know jomanos said they couldn't get it to work, but that might be due to some other unrelated issue). We can do manual DVR activations via support e-mail. We also now have an in-app way of activating DVR subscriptions by using the activation code in the settings menu, which is the first 8 digits of the license "key" shown on shop.silicondust.com when you log in and look at "My Subscriptions". Full documentation with screen shots will be available soon for using the in-app method.