Unable to View Newly Encrypted Channels on Optimum

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jjm1982

Unable to View Newly Encrypted Channels on Optimum

Post by jjm1982 »

This information is generally provided to inform the forum populace with the issue being experienced with Optimum on Long Island. A ticket has been opened with SD- 152694

I have three HDHR-3CC network tuners using Optimum (basic subscription) on Long Island. I've used these tuners for several years with minor issues. Any issues experienced were brought to your (the manufacturer's) attention and assistance provided in the appropriate forums.

I received a letter several weeks ago from Optimum indicating, beginning on Sept 13th they will begin encrypting the basic subscription channels. These are the typical channels that can be received over the air. They did not explain what type of encryption was to be used, I presumed it would be DRM encryption. I previously had other channel packages that included encrypted channels and those DRM channels worked as expected, albeit unable to record of course due to the currently limitations.

On Monday, Sept 13th I found some channels not working. Realizing that the change has taken place I attempted to perform a channel scan on both tuners 13105929 and 1314AE2. Prior to the channel scan I had 50 channels. After the channel scan I ended up with 39 channels, and the channels that had difficulty playing no longer listed on the channel lineup. I've attempted several more channel scans on a single tuner (13105929) and after those scans the total channels on the channel lineup are now 28.

Both tuners are running the latest firmware 20210624.

I first attempted to contact Optimum about the issue unable to view the newly encrypted channels. I've spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with their technical level II team only to be told that everything is working on their end and the problem is with the device from the manufacturer.

I'm hoping that recent channels scans and diagnostics can help with this matter, if not I'm afraid that I may finally terminate my cable TV subscription and thus no longer use these tuners. I ensure the most recent channel scan performed had diagnostics enabled for tuner 13105929 at about 15:15 ET and completed at 15:21 ET

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: Unable to View Newly Encrypted Channels on Optimum

Post by kyl416 »

Do you have a tuning adapter? In addition to encrypting channels they also moved some channels to switched video.

Optimum also had a history of including additional stations in Clear QAM like the government access channels from neighboring towns and some additional locals that aren't available in all areas like WMBC, WNJN, WNYE and WRNN, which could also explain why the channel count dropped after everything went encrypted.

Do you remember which specific channels you lost, and which Long Island Optimum system are you on? (i.e. Great Neck, Lynbrook, Woodbury/Islip, Hauppauge, East Hampton/Riverhead, or Brookhaven)

jjm1982

Post by jjm1982 »

I've lost channel 5 (fox), channels 4 and 7 (NBC and ABC) and including News 12 and news 12 traffic and weather (for those unfamiliar with the region, news 12 is the local news channel). I'm on the Hauppauge system. I do not use tuning adapters, quite frankly I cannot fathom having to rent additional equipment in order to watch basic TV because the bill already too expensive. I originally had 50 channels and over the past few days, the count has dropped to 16.

Their customer service has been horrific, the worst I have ever dealt with and I've spoken to five different individuals. They've blatantly indicated that it is my issue or even the manufacturer's issue. The individuals I've spoken to have all been rude and demeaning I honestly do not know how they've stayed in business this long after Altice took over. I watch most of the media using various apps and have subscriptions to Hulu, Netflix, Discovery+ and Disney+. By signing up to those subscriptions services I ended up with more content to watch for a cheaper price. The only reason I've kept cable is to watch the local news, however that seems to be unlikely with their recent changes and I may end up cancelling TV altogether and sign up for Hulu Live channels. Yes it may be pricier going that route however I will no longer have to deal with horrible customer service. It will be unfortunate because I've enjoyed the ability to use the DVR software and app layout.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

For encrypted channel (regardless of DRM), you need a valid CableCard rented from your cable provider. Tuning Adapter is typically free if you rented cable card.

If you are using your HDHR-3CC (I assume this is the CableCard Prime tuner) without a cablecard inserted, it will NEVER be able to receive any encrypted channels even if the channels are not DRMed.

Otherwise, you will need pick up a TA as TA is the only one really knows where all the channels went :) Without it, you will not be able to pick up those missing channels if they have been shuffled to SDVs.

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

My brother is on the Hauppauge system too. If you have a cable card you should still be able to access their HD feeds in the 600s and 700s instead of their traditional numbers (5, 4, 7, 12, 61, etc), but many of the SD feeds and lesser watched HD channels now require a tuning adapter.

jjm1982

Post by jjm1982 »

I see no point in having to add any additional equipment to watch TV, i.e. having to add a tuning adapter; completely ridiculous. I cancelled my cable service yesterday and have scheduled to have FIOS internet installed to my home. FIOS is faster and cheaper than Optimum.

This is unfortunate as Silicondust Dust will lose a customer due to the cable providers horrible service. I unplugged and packed up both my HDHR3-cc tuners and the Connect 4K. The only product I'm continuing to use is the DVR software as my children will continue to watch the shows I've recorded for them. I've now subscribed to live TV via Hulu, Philo and Pluto apps. They have everything I need.

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Switched video lets them reclaim the bandwidth so they can offer faster internet speeds. They started doing this in the mid-00s with the now defunct VOOM HD channels, and later expanded it to the multiplex premiums, sports packages, international packages and now most of the SD feeds and some lesser HD channels. Going all encrypted lets them eliminate the filters for internet only and broadcast basic subscribers, which gives them more flexibility on what frequencies they can put things on and remove the requirement for truck rolls for certain package changes.

At least they aren't doing what Comcast is doing, instead of using switched video, most new channels that launched over the past few years have been IP only and don't work with any 3rd party tuners.

BTW, Verizon FiOS IS compatible with the Prime. They use the same QAM and CableCard technology as cable providers, and they are one of the few providers who has their 4K Sports delivered via QAM, which is also available with your Prime.
Last edited by kyl416 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Yep, FIOS is probably the only provider that we can use SD DVR engine to record 4K programming. No TA required (almost all other cable providers, sans Comcast, require the use of TA).

tbar

Post by tbar »

I just received the same message from Optimum/Altice and I am in Connecticut. They state it will be implemented on Jan. 10. I thought it was against FCC rules for them to DRM broadcast channels so I filed a FCC complaint. If they encrypt all of my channels it make my HDHomerun useless unless I record and playback these channels from my legacy Windows 8.1 server.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I think it doesn't violate any FCC rules if they offer you a cheap, free, digital adapter (SD, no need to be HD) if you ask for. After all many cable providers have been doing this way already.

tbar

Post by tbar »

I just vaguely remember talk about this in the early days of HDHomerun and dealing with DRM. I guess I'm at the end of building my own DVR systems. Very sad. :cry: :x

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Are you able to view these channels ok in the HDHomeRun app?

Nick

jregaljr

Post by jregaljr »

I have a different cable provider, but believe my issue is similar. I live in Connecticut and have Cox Cable. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that my DVR stopped recording non-OTA channels like Hallmark for my wife. I run 3 HD Homerun Primes all with cable card service and tuning adapters from Cox. Is it possible to get the non-OTA channels to begin recording again on my DVR? My fear is I may be forced to abandon HD Homerun in my house to stream to my players (e.g. Google TV, which I had to get to replace Amazon Fire TV devices that also stopped streaming the non-OTA channels) and go back to expensive cable boxes in every room? Something definitely changed and not sure exactly what. Hoping a patch or some solution exists for me on the HD side.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Cox started to DRM everything in many places now. If that's the case (you can check the channels' DRM status in channel scan results), you can't record them until SD releases DRM recording capability.

dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Post by dcalder »

I was apparently one of the rare success stories in getting my cable provider (Wave) to change back to "copy freely"....their words, for the over the air broadcasters after one day they set every station to DRM. I had to write a letter to the VP of Engineering to explain (with Silicon Dust's help) how DRM on these broadcasts is incorrect, probably against regulations, and not desired by the broadcast companies.

I had called several local stations to inform them that this had happened and they supported this. It took me about 6 months to find the right person that understood the issue in the company.

They retained the "copy once" for the premium channels. After they did the change, they stated they would review their agreements to verify they were in compliance with their content providers and made no promises about this staying in place, but it has been a couple years now with no DRM on broadcast stations.

The effort was worth it and I was surprised that the operations/support guys fought me tooth and nail, but the executive was so willing to set them straight.

In this case, it was obviously not an executive decision to DRM these stations. It was apparently some lazy low level operations guy that just want to set all the stations with the same setting and not have to deal with individual channels.