HD HomeRun freezes when another program opened

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
engene7

HD HomeRun freezes when another program opened

Post by engene7 »

HD HomeRun freezes when another program is opened on the same PC.
Specifically, Photoshop can be used to see this problem.

Open HD HomeRun, then when a video fed is playing, open Photoshop.
HD HomeRun freezes more often than not - but not always.

When will this issue be fixed?

engene7

Re: HD HomeRun freezes when another program opened

Post by engene7 »

No fix planned?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Photoshop is a massive CPU and memory resource hog, especially at launch when it runs all the checks to make sure you have a valid license. It also uses GPU acceleration which can affect video decoding.

engene7

Post by engene7 »

I can run any other 'video' programs on my PC, including the likes of Resolve Grading system, with them all playing video real-time.
None are effected by starting another program, including Photoshop.
The issue only exists with HDHomeRun...

That kinda suggests the issue is with HDHomeRun.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

What about in other UWP apps? Windows treats UWP apps very differently from a resource scheduling perspective than it does traditional Windows apps. UWP apps are treated like phone/tablet apps: if they aren't the foreground app on the screen, any resources they're using are up for grabs, even to the detriment of the app, if something else wants them. Traditional apps get treated much more fairly and Windows will generally try its best to keep media playing normally even under high system load.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

jasonl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 pm What about in other UWP apps? Windows treats UWP apps very differently from a resource scheduling perspective than it does traditional Windows apps. UWP apps are treated like phone/tablet apps: if they aren't the foreground app on the screen, any resources they're using are up for grabs, even to the detriment of the app, if something else wants them. Traditional apps get treated much more fairly and Windows will generally try its best to keep media playing normally even under high system load.
Hi, Jason.

I'm curious. Since you used to work at SD, would you know what was behind the decision to make the Win10 HDHR app a UWP app and not a traditional Windows program?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

leerandall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm I'm curious. Since you used to work at SD, would you know what was behind the decision to make the Win10 HDHR app a UWP app and not a traditional Windows program?
To work on XBox the app is required to be UWP.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

nickk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:57 pm
leerandall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm I'm curious. Since you used to work at SD, would you know what was behind the decision to make the Win10 HDHR app a UWP app and not a traditional Windows program?
To work on XBox the app is required to be UWP.
Ahhh, yes. Thanks for the reminder.