First Post - wishes for HDHomeRun Software

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
NickS

First Post - wishes for HDHomeRun Software

Post by NickS »

Just a few observations from a newB:

1. I'd like to see some a "demo" mode for the HDHomeRun Software.
When no hardware is detected, show a dialog box to produce screens
for channel scan, program guide, recording setup, play recording, disk
status, etc. This would help sell a system prior to purchase. Most of the
negative reviews focus on ease of use.

2. If the demo mode is hard to do, at least capture screen shots & link
them into a slide a show to highlight & teach the first use of the HDHRS.

3. Pls clarify this whole ATSC 1.0 vs 3.0 issue. I get Phoenix TV stations.
I don't know if 1.0 can be selected if 3.0 audio doesn't work, etc. I found a
Phoenix channel scan in the forum, but I'm not clear what it all means.

4. Pls clarify what can be done with HDHRS vs Emby vs Plex vs jellyfin.
I saw a comparison chart once, but lost the link & can't find it now.
Need paragraphs, not just check marks though.

5. Pls clarify what can be done in Win10 vs Android vs Roku for setting
up recordings & playing them. I have all 3, but don't what is ready for prime
time.

6. I can write python web http post/gets. How about a short tutorial of
what can be seen from a working Scribe Quatro? Searching the forums
show use of linux command lines, but it's a lot of digging to find the gold
nuggets.

I bit the bullet & ordered a Scribe Quatro; it will arrive Friday.
I'm betting it will work out. I also have access to clear-Qam tv (50+ channels)
in the RV resort & think this will be the best thing since sliced bread...
The other thing that sold me is the SD Forums.

NickS

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: First Post - wishes for HDHomeRun Software

Post by ebo »

NickS wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm 3. Pls clarify this whole ATSC 1.0 vs 3.0 issue. I get Phoenix TV stations.
I don't know if 1.0 can be selected if 3.0 audio doesn't work, etc. I found a
Phoenix channel scan in the forum, but I'm not clear what it all means.
Currently only one HDHR model can receive ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and it's the HDHR5-4K, not the Scribe Quatro you bought, so you'll have no problem receiving just the ATSC 1.0 channels.
NickS wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm I bit the bullet & ordered a Scribe Quatro; it will arrive Friday.
I'm betting it will work out. I also have access to clear-Qam tv (50+ channels)
in the RV resort & think this will be the best thing since sliced bread...
The other thing that sold me is the SD Forums.
All HDHR models can receive clear QAM but it's so rare now that I doubt there is a guide service for yours, especially if it's only available at your RV park. You'll need SD's guide to use their DVR service (free for a year with the Scribe) but at least that will let you record from an antenna, not cable. 3rd party software might let you cobble together a separate guide service with clear QAM channels you've identified but I don't know what to recommend.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Thanks ebo, for the reply.

I received the Quatro about 3 weeks ago. The tuner finds 75+ of OTA stations with an antenna & 60+ on my RV resort's Dish Cable QAM system. As predicted, getting a program guide for the QAM stations is problematic.

On OTA the Quatro works great, recording, viewing, etc.

I found a year old topic:
'./viewtopic.php?f=125&t=72813, XMLTV guide data',\
I would hope I could learn how to use this to glue together what I need, but I'm still reading the fine print.

Viewing the QAM stations on the Roku is also problematic. Kodi & HDHR/w10 both view video for live QAM stations.

Still researching the Plex/Emby/Kodi/Channels DVR questions. Found this article:
https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/plex- ... yfin-2020/

Also wondering what to do about dedicated NAS vs a always-on PC. Short-term I have a spare w10 laptop w/ a 500GB hard disk to use as DVR server to run experiments.

NickS

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

NickS wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 pm I received the Quatro about 3 weeks ago. The tuner finds 75+ of OTA stations with an antenna & 60+ on my RV resort's Dish Cable QAM system. As predicted, getting a program guide for the QAM stations is problematic.
Some guide services have guides for Dish Cable systems. Maybe yours is included. But most would rely on cable's virtual single-number channels rather than the clear QAM major.minor numbers. One possible exception is TitanTV, which lets you set up a custom schedule optionally based on an existing one. You'd have to change each channel from Digital Cable to Digital Cable (QAM); then it lets you enter the major and minor channel numbers. A long, involved process. HDHR-VCR is a simple (almost crude) DVR program that can be used with TitanTV. I don't have cable TV so can't test this myself, although I've tested HDHR-VCR with an antenna.

My normal DVR program is CW_EPG. Its early versions allowed the user to associate any received channel with any Schedules Direct channel but recent versions don't, in order to greatly simplify its setup in normal situations.

Both programs are for recording only. Playback must be done with other programs.

Another complication is that since the Quatro has just one RF input for all of its tuners (true of all HDHR models except the earliest), you can't connect an antenna and cable at the same time. DO NOT use a coupler to do that. If you switch back and forth you'll have to do a rescan each time. If you want to record from both antenna and clear QAM cable it would be best to get a second HDHR. But before you do that you should determine if you can record from cable and if it's worth the effort.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Hi ebo,

Thanks for the links to HDHR-VCR & CW_EPG. Both look promising to cure my guide problem with the QAM Park Cable. At this point I'm still researching file formats & data required. TitanTV has a guide for the resort across the street - Mesa Regal. I'm unclear what data is required to get the programs to work.

I'm also unclear on where the programs actually place the recordings - on a separate Win10 computer or internal to the Quatro. A wrapper could in theory generate recording rules & send them to the Quatro. Would it blindly follow the record rules, or check the SD EPG guide & subscription status?

I'm sure I will need multiple SD's, beside the Quatro, but I just taking baby steps, before buying more stuff. Tuners vs Quatro, Always-on PC vs NAS vs Servio, etc. I recognize the coaxes will go to separate SD boxes. At this point Roku is not playing nice - pixelation, not playing recordings, etc.

Would you share some details on the systems(s) you use? You list a bunch of Device IDs: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394. What are they?
What computer, os, NAS? What do you use for play back?

Nick

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

I agree some better info for "those thinking about buying" tro help ease them and help understand what is and what is not capable and a gridd to show you what you can and cant do with the various servicds like Plex, Kodi, NAS storage, Always on PC, etc etc as it can getvery confusing as it did for me to know which product was the correct Homerun product for my needs nd application here at my home.
It can be frustrating as most of this stuff is very trial and erorr and unless you are super techie (which I am) many non techies will just give up which would lead to negative reviews and comments when in fact its no the hardware its just the lack of info or being intuitive