ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

ATSC 3.0 Forum
OTA_VA

ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

Post by OTA_VA »

According to news feeds, 4 Norfolk, VA stations went live with ATSC 3.0 on Nov 20, 2020. The questions are:

- after I scan for channels will there be an indication of which channels are ATSC 3.0?
- is there some identifier in the stats that indicates ATSC 3.0?
- I use the HDHR5-4K tuners with Channels app (not the dvr), Windows app. and Plex. Can I expect to see something ATSC 3.0 related on these?
- which tuners (0, 1?) handle ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0)?

Thanks.

This brightens up a strange year!

darcilicious

Re: ATSC 3.0 in Norfolk

Post by darcilicious »

OTA_VA wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 am - after I scan for channels will there be an indication of which channels are ATSC 3.0?
Yes on the tuner Channel Lineup page each ATSC 3.0 channel will be labeled with HEVC HD.
- I use the HDHR5-4K tuners with Channels app (not the dvr), Windows app. and Plex. Can I expect to see something ATSC 3.0 related on these?
You will need the beta Channels server and possibly beta Channels client assuming your hardware supports AC4 audio (e.g. AppleTV 4K).
I believe you will need to get the HDHomeRun app from the Microsoft App Store. Plex isn’t currently capable of decoding AC4 (they’re reliant on ffmpeg software which isn’t currently supporting AC4 audio) so you’ll get video but no audio via Plex.
- which tuners (0, 1?) handle ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0)?
0,1 will do 3.0 and all four will do 1.0

OTA_VA

Post by OTA_VA »

Thanks for your reply.

I emailed the WAVY-TV engineer and he responded that (only?) WNLO is up on ATSC 3.0 and it is a low power (FCC application says about 15KW) channel. It's RF channel 14 and virtual channel 45. Took weak and too distant for me to receive.

As demand and viewers increase, more ATSC 3.0 will come along.

m (i_now_ota)

Post by m (i_now_ota) »

No ATSC (3.0) that I can see in the Hampton Roads Virginia outskirts.

I'm brand new with the hdhomerun. Mine's just came in the mail yesterday. New to silicondust forum and all this.
I set it up - got a new antenna.

No HEVC stations (ATSC 3.0) when I scan. Likely I'm just too far away. But HD channels 3,10, 15 and others except 13 come in nicely. 13 sometimes.
Makes a nice regular tv receiver so far.

Can see on my phone now local ota channels. I like that!

OTA_VA

Post by OTA_VA »

Re-scanned this morning and picked up (33.1) WTVZ displaying as HEVC signal and using AC4 audio. It is located in the Portsmouth-Norfolk area.

No audio on Plex, but that is because AC4 is not supported by Plex. May need to use my NVidia Shield Pro with Channels DVR (I think Shield is supported) and subscribe to Channels DVR.

More research is needed.

Trip

Post by Trip »

OTA_VA wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:31 am Re-scanned this morning and picked up (33.1) WTVZ displaying as HEVC signal and using AC4 audio. It is located in the Portsmouth-Norfolk area.

No audio on Plex, but that is because AC4 is not supported by Plex. May need to use my NVidia Shield Pro with Channels DVR (I think Shield is supported) and subscribe to Channels DVR.

More research is needed.
When you use the HDHomeRun Config GUI utility and put it on channel 14, what do you see?

- Trip

m (i_now_ota)

Post by m (i_now_ota) »

Channel 14 was the shopping channels - same as 49. I (different person) don't see them today. Maybe it is the little antenna's placement inside the house.

Trip

Post by Trip »

I was specifically referring to RF channel 14, WNLO-CD, when tuned using the HDHomeRun Config GUI software. Not virtual 14, RF channel 26 W26EV-D.

- Trip

OTA_VA

Post by OTA_VA »

I can't receive WNLO in my area as they are only using 15 kw.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

WNLO-CD's filing with the FCC indicates they will be carrying WVBT, WAVY, and WTVZ on their ATSC 3 broadcast, so if you're seeing HEVC for WTVZ then you were getting at least some portion of WNLO-CD at the time you ran the channel scan.

Most current ATSC 3 broadcasts divide up their bandwidth to basically carry 2 signals, one that is similar to the legacy ATSC signal in terms of the quality needed to receive and one that is more robust and works with weakier/noisier reception, so it is entirely possible to get one of the services being broadcast but not the others.

m (i_now_ota)

Post by m (i_now_ota) »

Scan of today: 01-6-21

110.1 Wavy
133.1 WTVZ
143.1 WVBT
145.1 WNLO-CD

Only one seems to work for awhile, but it had no sound. Gone now.
They are on the side menu as choices, but don't work. .
Selecting any of the 4 now and I get: "Unable to play channel: No video Data Unknown Channel. "

m (i_now_ota)

Post by m (i_now_ota) »

133.1 WTVZ does play on the computer with sound in hdhomerun, but not with vlc.
So it works.

Slampman

Post by Slampman »

All HEVC channels are working for me 110.1, 143.1, 133.1 and 145.1 (just a translator for 110.1). All without issue... They have been rock solid but I am 10 miles from the transmitter and can see it from my house. So I'm not sure if you have having a signal strength issue or not...

Trip

Post by Trip »

Can someone post the full list from the HDHomeRun Config GUI program including the Program Numbers?

- Trip

m (i_now_ota)

Post by m (i_now_ota) »

I'm further from the transmitters. Maybe they don't worry about further out regions. . Most people in the metro area however live further East and south.. Likely the tv stations aim the signals to where the most people are - Va Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake. . Regular stations are mostly in Driver part of Suffolk - But HEVC may be different. Thanks.

tune \ Guide
CH 14-1 = 110.1
CH 14-2 = 143.1
CH 14-3 = 145.1
CH 14-4 = 133.1