pixel dropout issue

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
sdrecbc

pixel dropout issue

Post by sdrecbc »

I am experiencing a problem when viewing TV through silicondust tuners.

At random times, approx. every 2-7 minutes, I see horizontal black lines (apparent lack of pixels). This happens only on one particular channel, physical channel 15 in Washington, DC which broadcasts 7 subchannels (14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 14.4, 50.1, 50.2, and 25.1). The problem appears to occur on all subchannels. Signal strength is 100%, quality is 98-100%, and symbol quality is 100%.

The horizontal lines appear from the right edge of the screen, at any height, and go varying lengths across the screen. The missing pixels 'fill-in' quickly and then all seems normal until the next dropout. I have included some screenshots to help visualize the problem.

This problem occurs when watching/recording via a hardwired ethernet connection using EyeTV 3.6.9 on Mac OS 10.12.6, which is generally a very stable system and has been successfully used for several years. I have both an HDHR3 and HDHR4 with current firmware on the same network and both show the same behavior. I don't see the problem when using a TV with a built-in tuner wired to the same antenna in the same location.

Any guidance on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.

salsaguy

Re: pixel dropout issue

Post by salsaguy »

yikes that looks pretty bad

gggplaya

Re: pixel dropout issue

Post by gggplaya »

That's similar to what I was getting after the Summer 2020 frequency repack where cellular took over 600-700mhz. The problems were mostly with physical channels 35 and 36 which are right at about 600mhz, so I was able to solve the issue by buying a newer updated 4G LTE filter, remade for 600mhz. You have to be careful with LTE filter branding, because after the summer 2020 repack, LTE was able to move down another 100mhz, so older LTE filter's won't do anything.

The problem is, channel 15 is around 480mhz which is business band radio territory in UHF which is supposed to be around 470mhz. The only thing I can suggest to try is a BandPass filter, but that's only a try. No guaruntees of it working.

This one was updated for the summer 2020 repack. It only passes American TV signals in both VHF(174-216mhz) and UHF(470-608MHz), but it ships from Europe: https://www.amazon.com/VHF-UHF-Band-Pas ... B081NR28J2 It doesn't have DC power pass, so it won't work with internally amplified antenna's.