SoNic67

Re: AC-4 Audio?

Post by SoNic67 »

[removed by moderator - off topic]

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

hdhruser - the cloud service is a way to get audio on ATSC 3.0 channel on client devices that lack the codec support. On client devices that support AC4 the audio is decoded and played locally without using the cloud service.

Transcoding AC4 inside a Silicondust product is not an option due to the licensing model involved.

RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

nickk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:55 am hdhruser - the cloud service is a way to get audio on ATSC 3.0 channel on client devices that lack the codec support. On client devices that support AC4 the audio is decoded and played locally without using the cloud service.

Transcoding AC4 inside a Silicondust product is not an option due to the licensing model involved.
I have many questions as to how this cloud service will work. Will it interface with Plex somehow? Is it something that could be deployed locally, such as running as a VM? If so, what type of processing power would be required? Will it only transcode audio or will it also do video? Will there be settings to allow user to configure the final quality?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:27 pm Will it interface with Plex somehow?
Maybe. TBD.
RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:27 pm Is it something that could be deployed locally, such as running as a VM?
No, it is a cloud service.
RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:27 pm Will it only transcode audio or will it also do video?
Audio only. The video is already HEVC and isn't uploaded.
RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:27 pm Will there be settings to allow user to configure the final quality?
Most likely not.

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

nickk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:32 pm
RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:27 pm Will it interface with Plex somehow?
Maybe. TBD.
Thinking out loud, as a commercial product, Plex has (at least in theory) a revenue stream to pay for the licensing fee (Plex Pass). I guess it will depend on whether Plex decides that using the SD cloud service has a lower cost today when using the HDHR tuners then developing their own solution (TTM).

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

Atmos is pushed on more and more phones, tablets, TV's, sound bars... Only the PC speakers will remain not covered.
For a while.

Cmgeek

Post by Cmgeek »

I picked up a Roku Ultra, so I have sound now. Kind felt funny connecting a Roku Ultra to a Roku TV, but whatever works. Interestingly, the ATSC 3.0 stations are much louder than than the ATSC 1.0 stations...which are already louder than many of my other Roku channels. That is not a complaint. I don't know what the deal is with the volume in a lot of these. The new Bally Sports channel has to be turned up almost all the way. Hulu has their commercials way louder than the actual content you want to watch - to the point I typically have to mute during the commercials. Seems like it is kind of counter-productive to force you to watch commercials just to make them so annoyingly loud that you end up muting them. It's nice to be able to watch something for once and not feel like I have to use max volume to hear it.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

SoNic67 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:14 am Atmos is pushed on more and more phones, tablets, TV's, sound bars... Only the PC speakers will remain not covered.
For a while.
Windows 10 (and I assume 11) and Mac OS do have ATMOS support for certain PCs

For Mac OS this is for certain hardware models, see "device support": https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/a ... s-support/

For Windows, it's a little less clear. Dolby doesn't seem to have a specific list, but it seems most Windows 10 devices from the last few years seem to licensed for ATMOS.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

I should had said "free". Windows 10 indeed supports ATMOS, with the Dolby Access app in MS store.
That's a 30 day free trial, but after that is $14.99.

PS: I think that supports only Realtek HDAudio, not other sound devices (like HDMI audio).

joblo

Post by joblo »

SoNic67 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 am I should had said "free". Windows 10 indeed supports ATMOS, with the Dolby Access app in MS store.
Oh wait... so they have a $.99 extension for HEVC for WMC, which I have NOT yet bought, because at this point I really only care about the signals, not actually using 3.0 to watch TV -- but that will NOT give me sound unless I pay an additional $14.99?!?!?!?!?

Is this for real?!?!?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

joblo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:17 am
SoNic67 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 am I should had said "free". Windows 10 indeed supports ATMOS, with the Dolby Access app in MS store.
Oh wait... so they have a $.99 extension for HEVC for WMC, which I have NOT yet bought, because at this point I really only care about the signals, not actually using 3.0 to watch TV -- but that will NOT give me sound unless I pay an additional $14.99?!?!?!?!?

Is this for real?!?!?
No, the Dolby $14.99 extension is for headphones and doesn't related to watching TV.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

The SD app has sound. Not sure if that's decoded in Windows or in their app.
The HVEC extension I got free somehow.
https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/w ... /overview/#!

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

rpcameron wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:05 pm
nickk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm As noted above, we are working on a cloud assisted transcode approach that will enable client devices that lack AC-4 support to play ATSC 3.0 channels.
Instead of worrying about and solving edge cases for technologies that still have yet to hit major metropolitan areas—Los Angeles still has no ATSC3 feeds—why not focus development effort on promised goals still yet to be met; I'm sure cable users would still like to have the recording ability promised 6+ years ago.
Perhaps you are unaware that LA actually now has a (starter) ATSC3 lighthouse.
.... Please deliver upon current company promises before addressing un-asked-for features: DRM recording
Let me quote to you the kickstarter that you should be aware of (but apparently are not able to remember)
Risks and challenges

Silicondust is required to comply with industry-required protection rules when recording and playing back protected content. It may not be possible to support protected content on all platforms. In the extreme case playing back of protected content may be have to be disabled or discontinued on a specific platform if found not to be secure.
SD has repeatedly said that recording protected content is still a goal, but I think realistically anyone hoping for it is also wishing for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
(It's true you never promised a grid-style guide, but a multitude of users have requested it. It is as important as DRM recording, in my opinion.)
Your opinion is no doubt noted, even though many others have stated that they do not want to pay for your opinion. If you wish to fund the guide grid, please do contact SD with your offer for full funding (which will be ongoing per device per user per month).