Tivo stream 4k update mpeg2 issues

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Bkfinest

Tivo stream 4k update mpeg2 issues

Post by Bkfinest »

Tivo stream 4k just pushed an update where hdhomerun channels wont work. Been without tv for about a week. Ive read in TiVo forums that there update screwed up mpeg2 decoder something like that. That certain apps work because they have the option to set the decoder to software instead of hardware and it works but hdhomerun doesnt have such option. Can you fix this issue? I cant watch anything.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Tivo stream 4k update mpeg2 issues

Post by nickk »

Hi,

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the app then post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Device ID: 13281DB4

send diagnostics is on

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Diagnostic logs are working - thanks.

Can you please exit the app and run it again.

Nick

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Done, is it suppose to work now? Because it is not working still.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

No that would never make it magically work... that sends diagnostics data but most likely they also need the data from when the app starts.

Edit: I really wish SD would bring back a very old feature of the previous android app that allowed one to turn on and off hardware/software decoding from the far back end menu (play/pause 13 times).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Thanks - we have the information we need and will review the details on Monday.

Nick

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

yes I agree with signcarver, it would be great if this option where you get to turn on or off software decoding would be great, its juts not good when your streaming device decides to update and change the way video is decoded and then us have to pay the price of no cable until further notice. Ive heard this happen before with other device and its just not good out of no where no cable. Imagine having family over for the weekend and boom no cable, embarrassing to me. please help with this fix thanks, and keep me posted.

garethw
Silicondust

Post by garethw »

A beta release has been put to the google play store (20200803) which should address this issue, if you are signed up google to get beta releases this will be available for you.

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Not working for me. I have access to new features on hdhomerun app checked on dont know if anything else has to be done. But i need cable

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Have you subscribed to the Beta program? as it has nothing to do with early access to new features (that check is for the UI not the app). I am basing this off of garethw's post... I'm on the program so I get it but I haven't updated on tivo stream 4k yet as my tivo stream 4k hasn't updated to the firmware yet as I knew that would happen as it was reported the same day it was released. When you go to the gear in settings, what are the app and UI versions (app version should be today)

Though the info pages have "never" been updated with version info and currently states no beta see: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloa ... iewing_app

garethw
Silicondust

Post by garethw »

This is the sign up page for becoming a beta tester.
https://support.google.com/websearch/an ... 7673?hl=en

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

I signed up yesterday and still have no access to the beta hdhomerun app. I really think you guys should implement either the option to turn on or off software decoding or apply it automatically within the app. I have no cable for more than a week, this is killing me. Also this is not the first time this happens, always happens with other devices also so why not implement this. It takes one update from your streaming device and you have no cable.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Google still has to process the beta, but it should be available shortly.

Software decoding is a temporary fix to get around something that the manufacturer broke on their own device, and it comes at a cost. It decreases picture quality for Android, since we aren't able to use higher quality hardware deinterlacing (and possibly some other processing, IIRC). That being said, some kind of toggle is something we can consider, but even if that becomes an option, it should only be seen as a temporary fix for semi-rare situations. Ultimately, it's up to the development team to decide if a toggle would be a worthwhile option.

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Yes totally understand is something manufacturer breaks on its own, but remember manufacturers dont have hdhomerun in mind when updating their firmwares/software. These kind of problems are prone to always happening. Even though is a temporary fix why not have the toggle option just in case this rare issue which happens every once in a while was to happen we can temporarily fix our own problem and not be stuck without cable until who knows who. Like i am at the moment. This toggle option will save us from temporary headaches and not leave a family especially in these times without cable. Thumbs up for this feature. Anybody?