Programs not listed correctly

Guide Issues
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Programs not listed correctly

Post by dcalder »

Probably should have sent this in a while ago, but with a new Archer season coming up, I'd like to be ready.

I've had some problems with recording the wrong shows on my Wave TV cable system here in 94523 zip code (Pacific time zone).

Channel 919 (FX) FXXD show "Archer" is often recorded as "Bob's Burgers" or others
Channel 913 (CN), TOOND show "Robot Chicken" is often recorded as "American Dad" or "Bob's Burgers" or others.

This also points out an inconvenience that others have described. Once the system thinks it has recorded a show, it is not convenient to ask it to record again. Since I'm a full season behind due to the above (and my laziness to report it), it will be difficult to set all the recordings needed to catch up. The guide is also inconsistent with the episodes, sometimes showing the initial air date of the individual show, sometimes the season/episode number, and sometimes the show creation date (BBC news seldom records for me), which can trip the system up also.

All my other shows on other channels are recording properly and I'm pleased with the system in general.

FWIW, I have also noticed that there is an inconsistent behavior on hiding shows that I do not want to show in the guide. On some "Discover" tabs when I select "delete" on the keyboard (on my Win 10 system) it ignores me, some it does select "Hide", but does not remove the show in that session, and some it does select "Hide", and, does remove the show from view in the "Discover" tab immediately. Seems to work correctly if I select the show and use the mouse to "Hide" the show, but that is a lot more inconvenient than just selecting "Delete" on the keyboard. The main way I clean up my guide is to search for the terms "murder", "torture", "paranormal" and various key words related to, so called, reality shows and delete almost all of them. That keeps my "Discover" tabs cleaner, so I can see new shows on topics I'm more likely interested in.

Thanks for all the work I see you do on the system at all times of the day and days of the week. Not easy to have employees with that kind of enthusiasm.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Programs not listed correctly

Post by jasonl »

dcalder wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:16 pm
This also points out an inconvenience that others have described. Once the system thinks it has recorded a show, it is not convenient to ask it to record again. Since I'm a full season behind due to the above (and my laziness to report it), it will be difficult to set all the recordings needed to catch up.
Does "delete and re-record" not serve that purpose for you? I use it all the time to catch reruns of shows when the original gets trashed by bad weather or something.
The guide is also inconsistent with the episodes, sometimes showing the initial air date of the individual show, sometimes the season/episode number, and sometimes the show creation date (BBC news seldom records for me), which can trip the system up also.
That depends on what the particular channel is reporting. For example, BBC World News airs on most PBS stations, but most don't explicitly report to the guide provider that each airing is new, so they don't get marked as new, which is a key to recording when you have a show like the news that doesn't get episode-specific data. If you provide specific examples of this (time and channel number) then Ned can open a ticket with the guide provider to get them to fix it. I know I opened several dozen tickets with them when it was my problem to deal with, and they always fixed it, but there are a lot of PBS stations out there and I'm sure I didn't get them all. They can't just blindly mark all news shows as new because a lot of local stations will rerun the late local news after the late night shows are over, or on their sister station an hour after the main station, or weird stuff like that.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 pm
For example, BBC World News airs on most PBS stations, but most don't explicitly report to the guide provider that each airing is new, so they don't get marked as new, which is a key to recording when you have a show like the news that doesn't get episode-specific data. If you provide specific examples of this (time and channel number) then Ned can open a ticket with the guide provider to get them to fix it. I know I opened several dozen tickets with them when it was my problem to deal with, and they always fixed it, but there are a lot of PBS stations out there and I'm sure I didn't get them all. They can't just blindly mark all news shows as new because a lot of local stations will rerun the late local news after the late night shows are over, or on their sister station an hour after the main station, or weird stuff like that.
Rather than trying to get all providers to be compatible with the DVR's requirements, it might be better to add user options to the DVR to deal with the inconsistencies. In this example, users should be able to add show-specific restrictions to only record on a certain channel and only within a certain time range, regardless of whether the show is flagged as new or not. CW_EPG offers these options and other 3rd party DVRs may as well.

dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Post by dcalder »

The guide is also inconsistent with the episodes, sometimes showing the initial air date of the individual show, sometimes the season/episode number, and sometimes the show creation date (BBC news seldom records for me), which can trip the system up also.
That depends on what the particular channel is reporting. For example, BBC World News airs on most PBS stations, but most don't explicitly report to the guide provider that each airing is new, so they don't get marked as new, which is a key to recording when you have a show like the news that doesn't get episode-specific data. If you provide specific examples of this (time and channel number) then Ned can open a ticket with the guide provider to get them to fix it. I know I opened several dozen tickets with them when it was my problem to deal with, and they always fixed it, but there are a lot of PBS stations out there and I'm sure I didn't get them all. They can't just blindly mark all news shows as new because a lot of local stations will rerun the late local news after the late night shows are over, or on their sister station an hour after the main station, or weird stuff like that.
BBC World News America shows a grey check mark on all episodes on Channel 909 (KQEDD) and 113 (KQEDW) I can click on the episode in "discover" after searching for BBC to force it to a red dot to record, but I have to remember to do that for every episode. 2:30PM and 5:30 PM on KQEDD and 2:30PM on KQEDW.

Is that what you mean by delete and re-record? Or is that something I can do in the "record series" task list to make this work more globally on all the episodes?

Personally I'd rather have a show record multiple times and delete the ones I don't want than to miss a show. To me it is easy to delete shows with my remote. Multiple show recordings of the same show happen occasionally anyway for PBS news hour and a few other shows I record, for the reason you mention) But I think I'm in the minority on this option.

Thanks,
Dave

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

For news shows, those need to be marked as new in the guide data from the guide provider Ned can submit a request to have that fixed, but someone needs to put together a list of which airings are actually new so that can be accurately communicated. Just from a quick glance, it looks like all weekdays these should be updated, but weekends will be different.

KQEDDT3
BBC World News 3:00 AM
Asia Insight 3:30 AM
Newsroom Tokyo 4:00 AM
Direct Talk 4:40 AM
DW News 2:00 PM
BBC World News America 2:30 PM
France 24 3:00 PM
NHK Newsline 3:30 PM
The Day 8:00 PM
BBC World News America 8:30 PM
NHK Newsline 11:00 PM
BBC World News America 11:30 PM

KQEDDT
BBC World News America 2:30 PM
BBC World News Outside Source 5:00 PM
BBC World News America 6:00 PM

I would expect that each airing is different since BBC has a 24 hour news broadcast anyway, but the station may repeat some of them for some reason, and only someone who actually has access to that channel can confirm.