EPG info for Kodi also transcoding

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ceebee72

EPG info for Kodi also transcoding

Post by ceebee72 »

I replaced my WMC as a backend for Kodi running on Windows 7 Pro by upgrading the OS to Windows 10 Pro, and using NextPVR and Kodi. WMC used to provide program info, and now I have a trial subscription to Schedules Direct, and it seems to work just fine in Kodi with the NextPVR addon. On both HDTVs I own, there is a program guide provided by the metadata in the .ts stream. I live in KC, and the data for most of the channels is carried for up to a week for some channels. I have used TS Reader Lite, and I can see some of that data there. Does anybody know of a solution to populate the guide in Kodi with local OTA program guide info, instead of a service?
Also, I have some Roku boxes. With them I access the folders on my media box using Kodi as the host. This works fine for most content, except for TV programs recorded with NextPVR. I gather there is a method in NextPVR to transcode the shows, but I think you have to use another Kodi client for it to work. I used to use handbrake to transcode some content from my old WMC box so I could see it on devices that couldn't read the microsoft wrapper. I guess I could do that again, but does anyone know of something better? I know there is a HD Home Run app for Roku, but I have an older HDHR-3US that is not supported.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: EPG info for Kodi also transcoding

Post by djp952 »

As to your first question, no. Kodi does not have any innate ability to extract EPG data from an MPEG-TS transport stream, this would be a function left to the PVR addon and would require that addon to demultiplex the elementary streams on it's own, which very few (if any at all) still do as of Kodi 18 (Leia). Such a feature would be pretty cool for ATSC/DVB that supplies this information, though.

As to your second question, I have no idea :)

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Regarding the guide info in the broadcast:

This is the EIT information, and software must look for it and decode it separately. It looks like NextPVR does not handle this. Tvheadend does; I believe MythTV does; SiliconDust's DVR does not. In any case, you may want to stick with your Schedules Direct option: EIT/guide data in the broadcast is not very good in the US. It varies from mediocre at best, and down right poor at worst.

Transcoding is something probably better sought in the NextPVR or Kodi forums, as they'll probably be more knowledgeable.

sub

Post by sub »

rpcameron wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:58 pm
Regarding the guide info in the broadcast:

This is the EIT information, and software must look for it and decode it separately. It looks like NextPVR does not handle this. Tvheadend does; I believe MythTV does; SiliconDust's DVR does not. In any case, you may want to stick with your Schedules Direct option: EIT/guide data in the broadcast is not very good in the US. It varies from mediocre at best, and down right poor at worst.

Transcoding is something probably better sought in the NextPVR or Kodi forums, as they'll probably be more knowledgeable.
With an HDHomeRun, NextPVR will give you the broadcast EIT listings for most of the world (outside North America). This will often give you a week of listings etc.

I didn't bother implementing it for the ATSC style EIT listing, used in North America, because they usually only transmit 3 hours listings, which is next to useless for a PVR.

(that said, if you're using NextPVR on Windows, it will give you the ATSC listings if you're using the SiliconDust BDA drivers...but you'll quickly decide the broadcast listing are crappy and switch to Schedules Direct)

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

US ATSC stations are required to transmit at least 12 hours of EPG data, and these days you'll generally find at least that much on the major networks and subchannels. You're right about the poor quality of the data though. Not really suitable for DVR use.

sub, have you heard of anyone using the XMLTV data from Silicondust (viewtopic.php?f=125&t=72813) in NextPVR? I assume it would work if some outside program (EPG123?) was retrieving the data and then NextPVR was importing it, but it would be neat if NextPVR could pull it automatically. Maybe it's already possible and I'm just not aware of it.

sub

Post by sub »

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:21 pm
US ATSC stations are required to transmit at least 12 hours of EPG data, and these days you'll generally find at least that much on the major networks and subchannels. You're right about the poor quality of the data though. Not really suitable for DVR use.
Ah ok. 12 hours still isn't great. It doesn't let the user do common activities, let scheduling a recording they for later in the week etc. Personally I'd just recommend users bypass the ATSC EPG data, and use a better source.
sub, have you heard of anyone using the XMLTV data from Silicondust (viewtopic.php?f=125&t=72813) in NextPVR? I assume it would work if some outside program (EPG123?) was retrieving the data and then NextPVR was importing it, but it would be neat if NextPVR could pull it automatically. Maybe it's already possible and I'm just not aware of it.
I'm not sure if anyone is already using this. In NextPVR v5, on the Settings->Guide screen, you should be able to click 'add xmltv lineup' to add the url. After this, when you import channels from an HDHR, you should be able to select the lineup.

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

I wrote a python script to get the data from https://api.hdhomerun.com/api/xmltv?DeviceAuth= and it loaded into NextPVR fine but I don't have a subscription to test. This is only of value for those that already have the subscription since the SD subscription is cheaper. I think DeviceAuth changes so it can't be entered directly in NextPVR

I also wrote a script for guide.php and the data is better then OTA but much too short for PVR use.

For transcoding the server does have an automatic transcode to h264/aac option. I thought Roku supported mpeg2video now, is you Roku recent?

Martin

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The DeviceAuth changes a few times each day so any software pulling the data from Silicondust has to get the DeviceAuth(s) in order to retrieve the data. Any use of that data requires that the software be specifically designed to retrieve it, but for any app that has already been designed to talk to the HDHomeRun via HTTP, it's not a huge step beyond that to retrieve the XMLTV data.