Working with Kodi...

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ctviggen

Working with Kodi...

Post by ctviggen »

I'm confused about all the options with Kodi for Windows 10.

I have set up this:

https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/wiki/How-To

As a PVR with Kodi. While I like this, I cannot tell it to record a show during a time slot. So, every day, I record multiple versions of the local news, which I record only to watch the weather. I then have to delete all of them, and during a weekday, it's about 7 of them.

Also, I have not found out how to use a remote to delete shows. I have to keep a keyboard and mouse handy. Deleting shows with a mouse, I find, is difficult.

What other options are there?

I think the following exist:

- The one above, which uses HD Homerun's guide service.

- Emby, which uses Schedules direct

- NextPVR, which uses Schedules direct

- Does HD Homerun's PVR work with Kodi, or do you just vector to the HD Homerun program? (This uses HD Homerun's guide service.)

For me, since I use a linux server (Unraid) that is a NAS, it is nice to link HD Homerun to the NAS, which I THINK (?) only works if you use (pay for) the HD Homerun guide? Using Schedules Direct, I'd THINK I'd have to record locally, then copy to the NAS drive (which is what I used to do with WMC).

I have both Emby and NextPVR partially set up on my machine. I do not have them completely set up, though.

What are the options available for Kodi?

What options have people used and liked?

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Working with Kodi...

Post by djp952 »

To do on-demand recording your best option will probably be NextPVR and/or Emby. You'll need something that performs it's own DVR functions as opposed to relying on the HDHomeRun DVR service. Given that the EPG comes from Schedules Direct for both of those, access to the HDHomeRun guide data via DVR subscription won't be a concern either.

NextPVR has a kodi addon as well (maintained by a really good guy, too, attention to detail!), but if Kodi's interface isn't meeting your needs none of the PVR addons will be to your liking, they all work with Kodi via the same interface, so other than adding new/extra (and hard to get to) menu options, things like needing a keyboard or a mouse won't be any better.

I'd give NextPVR a try, personally, I've heard good things. Can't say that I've ever seriously "used" anything except Windows Media Center and Kodi with the unofficial PVR addon, so I'd also wait for a few more opinions :)

PS - With a remote control and Kodi, try a long press on the OK/Select button, this emulates a right mouse click and pops up the context menu. You can also program most commands to a remote button as well. Not trying to sell you on keeping Kodi, just mentioning it in case you didn't know that one :)

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Thank you. Sorry for my late reply. Our AC died, my mother had to go to the emergency room, we're doing a ton of work on the house...

I did try NextPVR, but I'll have to give it a try again. We're trying to do home projects before the kids go back to school (actually in school and on buses...we'll see how long this lasts), so we can set up an area in the basement where we can take off our masks, shoes, etc. So, I'll try this as soon as I can.

I like everything we're doing, it's just the PVR needs those features (the ability to delete via remote and the ability to record only during a time fram).

I'll try that OK/Select button trick, to see if it works. I'm using a Harmony remote, so I'm not sure what will happen. If I can figure out the button's code, I can also program the remote. I'll let you know.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

Ha! That trick with long pressing the OK/select button works! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

One thing about Kodi is that it gets confusing sometimes. For instance, why do you have to use a "hidden" function like this? Why not just the "info" button or some other button?

Anyway, thank you.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

ctviggen wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:17 am
Ha! That trick with long pressing the OK/select button works! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

One thing about Kodi is that it gets confusing sometimes. For instance, why do you have to use a "hidden" function like this? Why not just the "info" button or some other button?

Anyway, thank you.
Back in the day when Kodi was called XBMC, and ran on modded original Xbox game consoles, the remote button of choice was the "context menu" button for that action. If you look at the old xbox DVD remote, you will see how it influenced Kodi/XBMC even to this day. The long-press action came about later on, when remote controls that were really basic (basically just navigation controls became common (such as on Android TV), but other remotes will still support a dedicated menu or context menu action (most Windows MCE remotes should work, for example).

What kind of remote control are you using? I can show you how to use a custom Kodi keymap to make it work better for you.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

For WMC remotes that have a "DVD Menu" button, that button is mapped by default to the context menu in Kodi.

Also, the keymappings for remotes in Kodi is completely customizable. If you don't like the long-press of OK, assign a different key to handle that function.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap