Worth The Wait?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
itsrocky94

Worth The Wait?

Post by itsrocky94 »

Hey everyone!
I just found out about HomeRun from a random Youtube video, as I was about to buy a chromecast for a few of my televisions as my cable company does have an app where you can watch live TV and/or your DVR recordings and whilst doing that, this popped up. Months ago I was about to purchase a Tivo (even though I have a DVR), because even though I'm maybe paying 10-20 bucks a month for a STB, they get old and every time I try to upgrade to a newer model, I always get shit (sorry) and they make it so difficult because I am bringing in an older model that still works for an upgrade (which is in my contract) and I have been searching for months for a "STB" alternative device that I can send all my STBs and use a CableCard instead, but I couldn't find any, until now.

Sorry for the rant! So, it seems the PRIME is the only device that you can use to use your cable subscription and watch through the PRIME. I know there were previous models and I know beggars can't be choosers but, why would they take away an older device if not switching it out with the older model. Instead they have tossed the older model and from what I understand, now there is no device that I can get for my CableCard, with this company. I want to know if in your personal opinion, is it worth it to wait till it finally drops or should I just go my first route and get a streaming device and download my cable company's app? I've read a bunch of threads about the new PRIME and people discussing the release, but no one knows when it will release. Have they done it this weird way before (pulling a current model before the upgraded model is not ready for sale)? If so, what would you say is a ballpark estimate on how long they take till they release an upgraded model?

Thank you all! I appreciate it!!

(I've never been on here before. I looked around and couldn't find what I was looking for, but if somewhere there is a thread that does, you may send it to me. I apologize if it has and I missed it and I'm just spamming.)

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: Worth The Wait?

Post by GetMatt »

The old model is gone because the chips used to make it are no longer manufactured. They didn’t have a choice, but to discontinue it because they can’t get the pieces they need to make any more of them.

SpencerC

Re: Worth The Wait?

Post by SpencerC »

itsrocky94 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 am
Hey everyone!
I just found out about HomeRun from a random Youtube video, as I was about to buy a chromecast for a few of my televisions as my cable company does have an app where you can watch live TV and/or your DVR recordings and whilst doing that, this popped up. Months ago I was about to purchase a Tivo (even though I have a DVR), because even though I'm maybe paying 10-20 bucks a month for a STB, they get old and every time I try to upgrade to a newer model, I always get shit (sorry) and they make it so difficult because I am bringing in an older model that still works for an upgrade (which is in my contract) and I have been searching for months for a "STB" alternative device that I can send all my STBs and use a CableCard instead, but I couldn't find any, until now.

Sorry for the rant! So, it seems the PRIME is the only device that you can use to use your cable subscription and watch through the PRIME. I know there were previous models and I know beggars can't be choosers but, why would they take away an older device if not switching it out with the older model. Instead they have tossed the older model and from what I understand, now there is no device that I can get for my CableCard, with this company. I want to know if in your personal opinion, is it worth it to wait till it finally drops or should I just go my first route and get a streaming device and download my cable company's app? I've read a bunch of threads about the new PRIME and people discussing the release, but no one knows when it will release. Have they done it this weird way before (pulling a current model before the upgraded model is not ready for sale)? If so, what would you say is a ballpark estimate on how long they take till they release an upgraded model?

Thank you all! I appreciate it!!

(I've never been on here before. I looked around and couldn't find what I was looking for, but if somewhere there is a thread that does, you may send it to me. I apologize if it has and I missed it and I'm just spamming.)
We have been waiting for years for the release of the Prime 6. Silicon Dust will not give a release date. I'd recommend finding an alternate until the Prime 6 actually does get released.