Recordings not available/visible

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Sion

Re: Recordings not available/visible

Post by Sion »

JustFax wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:36 pm
I had the same issue with my Windows 10 hdhomerun server. As I recall, the issue started after I did a server software update (or reinstall). First, using Windows File Explorer, I checked the server's designated Recordings folder and found that all my recording folders and recorded episodes were still on the disk. When I checked the permissions for the Recordings folder, I found that the permissions for the Administrative User included Read and Write.

When I clicked on the Windows Start button and then clicked on the HDHomerun menu item, a "Configure" item appeared under the HDHomerun menu item. When I clicked on the "Configure" menu item, a configure window opened up which had a "DVR" tab on it. When I clicked on the "DVR" tab, an animated "Configuring" bar ran, after which I was able to access my recorded episodes normally using the FireTV app. Hope this procedure solves your problem.
I just re-ran the setup of the DVR and no change. Recordings still not visible. Thanks, though

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik »

If you updated DVR - what's the version of the engine now?
Can you get to the record engine from the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ page?
And it reports same version as you expect?
Is there a log file for today in your Recordings folder?

If engine is running, can you SSH to the NAS and confirm user of the hdhomerun process?

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep hdh 
Permissions on shares use ACL so you won't see permissions properly with just ls.. you need to use synoacltool, and will need to use sudo to run it.

sudo synoacltool -get /volume1/HDHomeRun
You should see in the output the same user name as running the hdhomerun process and/or group. If not then you will need to add. Adding a User <username>

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRun user:<username>:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd—
For a group simply replace user with group

Recent updates from Synology/QNAP have them pushing more and more security stuff, settings and apps to scan and advise.
Is it possible you turned on the firewall on the NAS?
And if so, do you have a Port set in the config File and mapped to port on the firewall config of the NAS?

Sion

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:51 am
Using your Synology package, it shows Record Engine Version: 20200225
Nope, and I haven't been able to see the record engine running since I changed HDHR's from the Prime to the Connect Duo. Here's what I see:
The most recent logfile is dated a month ago, so no.
If engine is running, can you SSH to the NAS and confirm user of the hdhomerun process?

ps -ef | grep hdh 
User is "http"

http     19772     1  0 Jul05 ?        00:01:31 /tmp/hdhomerun_record_x64 start --conf /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
Permissions on shares use ACL so you won't see permissions properly with just ls.. you need to use synoacltool, and will need to use sudo to run it.

Here's the output:

ACL version: 1
Archive: has_ACL,is_support_ACL
Owner: [root(user)]
---------------------
         [0] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:0)
         [9] group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:0)
You should see in the output the same user name as running the hdhomerun process and/or group. If not then you will need to add. Adding a User <username>

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRun user:<username>:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd—
For a group simply replace user with group

Recent updates from Synology/QNAP have them pushing more and more security stuff, settings and apps to scan and advise.
Yes, it's possible! Firewall is turned on, but I don't recall doing that.
And if so, do you have a Port set in the config File
which config file, the "/volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf"? or something else?
and mapped to port on the firewall config of the NAS?
I'm pretty sure I do not have that done. I see several ports listed in the firewall "profile" for the NAS, for UDP and TCP. I assume you think I should add one of those ports to the hdhr config file?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

OK - all sorts of things to tackle
Sion wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 pm
Nope, and I haven't been able to see the record engine running since I changed HDHR's from the Prime to the Connect Duo. Here's what I see:
This first..
looks like you haven't registered your new connect with DVR service?
need to go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register
and activate the duo with the DVR service
am pretty sure (and SD can confirm) that without a device to authorize with you won't see your recordings on the hdhomerun clients
demonrik wrote:
Am confused - are you running both the SPK and the SD installer engine? or just one.
You should update to the latest SPK if running it.. I know you lose the recorded files feature, but everything else should work.
Also make sure no VPNs running on client devices ;)
This is more worrying.. Are we looking in the right place.. No Log files makes me wonder if the hdhomerun engine is running at all.
We've had a few issues with synology not fully woken up or something and the engine runs before the drives are mounted writable and the engine just stops.. Try stop then start it

ps -ef | grep hdh 
User is "http"

http     19772     1  0 Jul05 ?        00:01:31 /tmp/hdhomerun_record_x64 start --conf /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf

Here's the output:

ACL version: 1
Archive: has_ACL,is_support_ACL
Owner: [root(user)]
---------------------
         [0] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:0)
         [9] group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:0)
All looks good
which config file, the "/volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf"? or something else?
I'm pretty sure I do not have that done. I see several ports listed in the firewall "profile" for the NAS, for UDP and TCP. I assume you think I should add one of those ports to the hdhr config file?
I default to 59090. if you run firewall on the NAS - you need to add it there.

Sion

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 am
OK - all sorts of things to tackle
Thanks for the help...
Sion wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 pm
This first..
looks like you haven't registered your new connect with DVR service?
need to go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register
am pretty sure (and SD can confirm) that without a device to authorize with you won't see your recordings on the hdhomerun clients
Well, when I click on that URL, I get a 404 error...?
Also, the recorded files used to show up since removing the Prime and installing the Connect Duo, and I've never had the my.hdhomerun.com site show the record engine since removing the Prime and installing the Connect Duo.
demonrik wrote:
Am confused - are you running both the SPK and the SD installer engine? or just one.
Didn't know it was an either or thing. I thought the SPK was just a tool for managing the record engine; didn't know it was supposed to entirely replace the SD installer. So yes, I ran the installer, but also have the SPK installed on the NAS... is that bad? How to fix if so?
You should update to the latest SPK if running it.. I know you lose the recorded files feature, but everything else should work.
Also make sure no VPNs running on client devices ;)
No VPN on client devices. I do have a VPN running on the Synology though. I've tried turning it off and don't see a difference. I'll leave it off for now, but shouldn't make a difference, right?
This is more worrying.. Are we looking in the right place.. No Log files makes me wonder if the hdhomerun engine is running at all.
We've had a few issues with synology not fully woken up or something and the engine runs before the drives are mounted writable and the engine just stops.. Try stop then start it
I've tried stop/starting the record engine several times. Doesn't seem to help.
I seem to recall there's a trick to editing the hdhomerun.conf file. Is there a wiki or primer on that? Need to make a copy or something?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I've sent you a PM with the activation link for your DVR account.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Before I respond to everything.
Sounds like you do need to run the register.. would have expected you to say I already did and not the link didn't work ;)
So make sure that's done first.
Then we need to get that record engine appearing on my.hdhomerun.com.. so decide on one method to install, stop any running engines, turn off VPN client on the synology and if possible the firewall before starting the engine again (DVR Manager for SPK, and Installer for Installer).. You can turn on firewall and vpn and debug them later once you know something works.
Sion wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:03 pm
demonrik wrote:
need to go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register.html
Also, the recorded files used to show up since removing the Prime and installing the Connect Duo, and I've never had the my.hdhomerun.com site show the record engine since removing the Prime and installing the Connect Duo.
I got the URL slightly wrong - fixed now to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register.html
But should be in the PM @NedS sent you..
Didn't know it was an either or thing. I thought the SPK was just a tool for managing the record engine; didn't know it was supposed to entirely replace the SD installer. So yes, I ran the installer, but also have the SPK installed on the NAS... is that bad? How to fix if so?
You need to run one or the other.. Each one tries to install the record engine binary and manage it differently.
When you did the ps-ef it was clearly the SPK version running..
To fix it - you need to SSH to the server and stop which ever engine is running, easiest method is to login as an admin and run

sudo /tmp/hdhomerun_record_x64 stop
where I'm assuming is an x86 CPU on your synology. Then either remove the SPK and then rerun the installer and it will install and get the record engine running, or remove the hdhomerun_record in the HDHomeRun share - typically /volume1/HDHomeRun, and restart the SPK engine via the DVR Manager
No VPN on client devices. I do have a VPN running on the Synology though. I've tried turning it off and don't see a difference. I'll leave it off for now, but shouldn't make a difference, right?
VPN Client on the Synology? That worries me.. You need to configure to ensure the record engine is not behind the VPN but is on the same raw network as your Duo, and has direct connection to SDs servers. Until you have everything working again I would keep it off and then turn on once you have the basics working and then debug that (if needed of course). Also - am pretty sure you had this problem with VPN before ;)
Yeah - you need to resolve the other issues first it would seem..
Yes, it's possible! Firewall is turned on, but I don't recall doing that.which config file, the "/volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf"? or something else?I'm pretty sure I do not have that done. I see several ports listed in the firewall "profile" for the NAS, for UDP and TCP. I assume you think I should add one of those ports to the hdhr config file?
I seem to recall there's a trick to editing the hdhomerun.conf file. Is there a wiki or primer on that? Need to make a copy or something?
You can edit the config file using the DVR manager if using the SPK.. And you have the location right.
And if using the Installer then you should have a config file in the /volume1/HDHomeRun share that you can edit.
Again - only use one method and best to stop engine, edit and start engine.

Sion

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 pm
Before I respond to everything.
Sounds like you do need to run the register.. would have expected you to say I already did and not the link didn't work ;)
So make sure that's done first.
OK, actually yes, I did activate my new HDHR for use on my DVR account. That was done very early on, so I kind of forgot what it was you meant. Upon seeing the PM from @NedS just now, I realized I'd already done that. Afterall my DVR *has* worked with the Connect Duo, ever, just not recently. So, I'm a little surprised that NedS didn't see that my device is active on my account. In fact I think NickK sort of confirmed this in his post early in this thread. So, the answer is, yes it's registered, and no, that link didn't work. :)
Then we need to get that record engine appearing on my.hdhomerun.com.. so decide on one method to install, stop any running engines, turn off VPN client on the synology and if possible the firewall before starting the engine again (DVR Manager for SPK, and Installer for Installer).. You can turn on firewall and vpn and debug them later once you know something works.
Sion wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:03 pm
demonrik wrote:
need to go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register.html
I got the URL slightly wrong - fixed now to http://my.hdhomerun.com/dvr/register.html
But should be in the PM @NedS sent you..
You need to run one or the other.. Each one tries to install the record engine binary and manage it differently.
When you did the ps-ef it was clearly the SPK version running..
To fix it - you need to SSH to the server and stop which ever engine is running, easiest method is to login as an admin and run

sudo /tmp/hdhomerun_record_x64 stop
where I'm assuming is an x86 CPU on your synology. Then either remove the SPK and then rerun the installer and it will install and get the record engine running, or remove the hdhomerun_record in the HDHomeRun share - typically /volume1/HDHomeRun, and restart the SPK engine via the DVR Manager
VPN Client on the Synology? That worries me.. You need to configure to ensure the record engine is not behind the VPN but is on the same raw network as your Duo, and has direct connection to SDs servers. Until you have everything working again I would keep it off and then turn on once you have the basics working and then debug that (if needed of course). Also - am pretty sure you had this problem with VPN before ;)
Yes, it was a similar problem. But that was that I had a local VPN running on each laptop in my house. But when I tried the android TV box, which was not running a VPN, it worked. So I turned off the VPNs on the laptops and that fixed that problem.
Yeah - you need to resolve the other issues first it would seem..
You can edit the config file using the DVR manager if using the SPK.. And you have the location right.
And if using the Installer then you should have a config file in the /volume1/HDHomeRun share that you can edit.
Again - only use one method and best to stop engine, edit and start engine.
OK. I will try to sort this out by clearing out one of the install methods and re-starting. I'll report back later today. Thanks again for your help!

Sion

Post by Sion »

Well, good news and bad news.
Good news: I at one point this evening had the recordings showing up
Bad news: I have no idea why that happened; all I did was restart the NAS
Good news: I then decided to take your advice and install your latest SPK v.1.0; I stopped all record engines, deleted the hdhomerun_record from /volume1/HDHomeRun/ and uninstalled the old SPK. Then I installed your latest SPK, and it's running.
Bad news: the recordings are missing again.
I gave the new user r/w permissions on both folders, /volume1/HDHomeRun/ and /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR/
Interestingly the SPK UI shows "RECORD running..." in the bottom of the screen, however it does not show the record engine next to the HDHR in the discovered devices section:
I'm at a loss again. :\

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Sion wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:25 am
Well, good news and bad news.
Good news: I at one point this evening had the recordings showing up
Bad news: I have no idea why that happened; all I did was restart the NAS
Good news: I then decided to take your advice and install your latest SPK v.1.0; I stopped all record engines, deleted the hdhomerun_record from /volume1/HDHomeRun/ and uninstalled the old SPK. Then I installed your latest SPK, and it's running.
Bad news: the recordings are missing again.
I gave the new user r/w permissions on both folders, /volume1/HDHomeRun/ and /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR/
Interestingly the SPK UI shows "RECORD running..." in the bottom of the screen, however it does not show the record engine next to the HDHR in the discovered devices section:
I'm at a loss again. :\
we're getting closer..
But honestly at this point I think we need to do something more where we can chat and look at your NAS together - sending PM.