Smart TV integration?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
belgaard

Smart TV integration?

Post by belgaard »

What is the best smart TV to buy, in the sense that it must integrate nicely with my HDHomeRun provided tuners?

In an ideal world, a smart TV will be able to detect and use my 4 HDHomeRun tuners, so a smart TV with 2 tuners will be able to use 6 tuners.

I guess the world is not that ideal. If not, then there is a huge opportunity for SD to enter into partnership with smart TV manufacturers.

I suppose I could use my HDHomeRun tuners with Fire TV, Apple TV or some other box. If so, what combination of a choice of a box and a smart TV would bring me the best integration? Given that true integration between HDHomeRun and a smart TV does not exist (?), I see an Apple TV with a Channels app as the next best solution - after googling around not having actually tried anything. This is a costly solution, but if this is the best integration I can get, then I will probably go for it.

I read somewhere that HDHomeRun can integrate with certain TVs using DLNA. What would that bring me? I mean, what kind of integration would I get? And what TV should I buy?

My goal is pretty simple. I want to record Live TV DVB-T2 channels. It may be enough with the 2 tuners that some smart TVs provide, but I would prefer to use HDHomeRun provided tuners.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Smart TV integration?

Post by NedS »

The Android TV platform (has both "streaming box" and "built-in" options) would be the best, IMO, but a lot of smart TV manufacturers (of all TV platforms and brands) will often skimp on the specs, so sometimes you're stuck with a great display, but slow app performance. I wouldn't worry too much about it, because there's a good chance you'll end up needing to plug in a better supported streaming box further down the line (a few years, for example).

belgaard

Re: Smart TV integration?

Post by belgaard »

NedS wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:51 am
I wouldn't worry too much about it, because there's a good chance you'll end up needing to plug in a better supported streaming box further down the line (a few years, for example).
I believe you are right. In fact, from replies on other fora I have concluded that such a box is here today. So, I can buy any TV I like, not thinking about "smart" features. In fact, Apple TV from 2017 seems to be a favourite box. nVidea's box is another favourite. For software, I will probably use the Channels app on Apple TV and the Channels DVR on my old WMC PC.

When you mention "a better supported streaming box", did you hint at an SD product?