unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
MadBit

Re: unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Post by MadBit »

I have mixed feelings. I got it working but have the container set to run in privileged mode.

I'll keep messing around with it but I agree OMV is doing something weird in their config of docker.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

MadBit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:57 am I have mixed feelings. I got it working but have the container set to run in privileged mode.
That proves the theory..
By running in privileged mode it gives the container what privileges it needs.
Thus you need to figure out what is OMV using - I believe its apparmor (more in a sec) - and either configure to allow access, or disable if you don't really need/want it.

fwiw
I did see some posts where people were running into issues with a feb update to OMV where apparmor was enabled in the update even if not before hand
But for them it was no containers at all, not just path privileges.
Thanks so much for the assistance.
Any time. Hope you get it sorted.

driven01

Post by driven01 »

All,

I tried to set this up. My recordings are currently going to an old QNAP server I have, but I'd like to utilize my more beefy UnRAID server.

What seems to happen now is that when I watch live TV, I see it recording inside the UnRAID docker. But the rest of my recordings all seem to still go to the QNAP. (But that's not all)

The bigger problem is that it seems to be recording inside the docker container and not the host paths that I (thought) I mapped at setup. Here is my setup script in case anyone sees anything obvious:

docker run -d
--name dvr
--restart=unless-stopped
--network host
-v /path/to/hdhomerun/tempdata:/mnt/user/DVR/dvrdata
-v /path/to/hdhomerun/recordings:/mnt/user/DVR/dvrrec
-e DVRUI_PORT=10080
-e PUID=1006
-e PGID=1006
demonrik/hdhrdvr-docker

Thank you in advance.

rikd
Silicondust
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by rikd »

driven01 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:59 pm All,

I tried to set this up. My recordings are currently going to an old QNAP server I have, but I'd like to utilize my more beefy UnRAID server.

What seems to happen now is that when I watch live TV, I see it recording inside the UnRAID docker. But the rest of my recordings all seem to still go to the QNAP. (But that's not all)
If you have 2 record engines running at same time then typically the one which has the largest free space will be where the recordings occur unless you force one to not record.
Because of next bit it with the volume bindings it will seem to the container that you have limited space and thus the qnap will win. However for live, there will be sufficient space. So let's fix the container ;)
The bigger problem is that it seems to be recording inside the docker container and not the host paths that I (thought) I mapped at setup. Here is my setup script in case anyone sees anything obvious:

docker run -d
--name dvr
--restart=unless-stopped
--network host
-v /path/to/hdhomerun/tempdata:/mnt/user/DVR/dvrdata
-v /path/to/hdhomerun/recordings:/mnt/user/DVR/dvrrec
-e DVRUI_PORT=10080
-e PUID=1006
-e PGID=1006
demonrik/hdhrdvr-docker
You have the volume binding wrong.
The first part of the binding is what you need to edit to your unraid folders and the second part is what is inside the container.
So, if I deduce your unraid folder naming correctly it should be
-v /mnt/user/DVR/dvrdata:/dvrdata
-v /mnt/user/DVR/dvrrec:/dvrrec

By not binding, the container will only have limited free space to write to.
I'll assume you have provided user 1006:1006 the permissions to record.
Let me know if u run in to further issues

driven01

Post by driven01 »

That entirely fixed it!
THANK YOU!

I'm very grateful for the assist, and for the opportunity to learn something.

TBlankenheim
Device ID: 107BBE13, 10782AED

Post by TBlankenheim »

This may not be the correct topic to post this question, but I figure I would start here.

I am running two instances of this Docker container. One on my unRAID server, and the other on my Synology NAS. Both are running version 2.1.0 of the HDHomeRun DVR Manager, and Record Engine Version 20231020.

About a week ago, duplicate versions of DVR recordings were being created. One on each instance. Previously, only one version was being created. Usually on the unRAID instance because that server has more space.

This has been working without issue for at least a year. Nothing has changed, so I'm trying to figure out what is suddenly causing the duplicate recordings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Record engines have to detect eachother so either something is blocking that (can be via ipv4 or ipv6, I've seen some vpn's play nicely with ipv4 for local traffic, but need to exclude apps if detected via ipv6 as it will send all nonbroadcast traffic out the vpn connection) or occasionally I think I have seen that behavior when there is no, or possibly the same, StorageID in the configs.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

signcarver wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:54 pm Record engines have to detect each other so either something is blocking that (can be via ipv4 or ipv6, I've seen some vpn's play nicely with ipv4 for local traffic, but need to exclude apps if detected via ipv6 as it will send all nonbroadcast traffic out the vpn connection) or occasionally I think I have seen that behavior when there is no, or possibly the same, StorageID in the configs.
Not sure what would be blocking that traffic. I can ping each record engine container from the other, no ipv6 or vpn's in use on my network, and each record engine has a unique StorageID. Both record engines are visible to clients.

Any way to verify that the record engines are communicating with each other?

Given that this was working a couple of weeks ago, and there have been no changes, I'm baffled on what exactly is going on. It would be disappointing to have to shutdown the 2nd instance, as this is my failover in the event the primary record engine is not available.

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

[quote0
Any way to verify that the record engines are communicating with each other?
[/quote]

I cannot speak for the other NAS, but on the Unraid server, in docker, when you click on the HDHomerun DVR and click on WebUI, does it show both engines under discovered devices?

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

Jsherman wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:04 pm I cannot speak for the other NAS, but on the Unraid server, in docker, when you click on the HDHomerun DVR and click on WebUI, does it show both engines under discovered devices?
Yes. Both instances of the WebUI show both record engines and my two Connect Quatro tuners under Discovered HDHomeRun Devices.

I'm thinking I need to understand how the record engines receive the recording instructions, and if there are multiple engines, the process for determining which engine will do the recording. It seems that some how this is breaking down and both record engines are making the recording.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Dev team will look into this. We've had a couple of reports where multiple DVRs on the same network aren't always preventing duplicates.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

NedS wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:24 pm Dev team will look into this. We've had a couple of reports where multiple DVRs on the same network aren't always preventing duplicates.
Thank You!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

TBlankenheim wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:16 pm This may not be the correct topic to post this question, but I figure I would start here.

I am running two instances of this Docker container. One on my unRAID server, and the other on my Synology NAS. Both are running version 2.1.0 of the HDHomeRun DVR Manager, and Record Engine Version 20231020.

About a week ago, duplicate versions of DVR recordings were being created. One on each instance. Previously, only one version was being created. Usually on the unRAID instance because that server has more space.

This has been working without issue for at least a year. Nothing has changed, so I'm trying to figure out what is suddenly causing the duplicate recordings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
This is fixed in today's release. If you restart the containers they should pull the new version.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim »

jasonl wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:02 pm This is fixed in today's release. If you restart the containers they should pull the new version.
Thank you for the update!

Record engines have been updated and we'll see what happens with the recordings scheduled for later this evening.

To satisfy my own curiosity, is it possible to summarize what went wrong and what triggered this problem given that this had not been an issue in the past?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

There was a bug in the part of the DVR code that handles the communications between DVRs that is used to decide which one will make a particular recording.