unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
fletchb

Re: unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Post by fletchb »

demonrik wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:09 am
fletchb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm "You will need 2 volumes you need to create or bind (recommended)
/dvrrec recordings location
/dvrdata Location to store the engine, config file and log of the script in the container"

/dvrrec is /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR right?

What about /dvrdata? Is it the same as the spk version ? /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/HDHomeRunDVR.conf

Thanks..
Yes on /dvrrec
If you can map the user of the container (I do not have access to the synology container manager since mine was ARM based) just make sure that user has access to the shares.

You can put /dvrdata anywhere you want.
I would recommend creating a ContainerData share (limit access) and then have a HDHomeRunDVR folder in there to point to.
OK thanks that should be enough to get me going but do you have this hosted anywhere else besides github? Synology doesn't recognize them as a source to pull from.

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

Scratch that. I see it in the very first message. Sorry about that.

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

Seems to be working great Thank you!

For anyone installing on Synology gui here are a couple of tips:

For the /dvrdata path, you can simply create a folder under the synology created docker share. If you have ever run docker, that share should already be there as that is the default dir for docker configs.

For me it looks like this : /docker/hdhomerun_config I choose hdhomerun_config to keep things simple.

Make sure you use host as the network

The first time I ran it, it crashed because it couldn't find the data dir for some reason. But second time it stayed running just fine.

HTH's...

husterk

Post by husterk »

Thanks so much for this containerized implementation! I am in the process of transitioning off the old SPK version and onto the Docker version. I was able to get this set up and working and my DVR is being detected by my HD HomeRun boxes... SUCCESS! The one thing that I can't figure out is how to access the HD HomeRun DVR Manager web UI? When using the SPK version, I was able to access this UI via http://[MY_NAS_IP]/HDHomeRunDVR/#. However, that is no longer working. Is this feature still available/accessible somehow? It is very useful for troubleshooting recording issues with the HD HomeRun boxes.

Note: I installed this on a Synology NAS via the built-in Synology Docker service.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

husterk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 am Thanks so much for this containerized implementation! I am in the process of transitioning off the old SPK version and onto the Docker version. I was able to get this set up and working and my DVR is being detected by my HD HomeRun boxes... SUCCESS! The one thing that I can't figure out is how to access the HD HomeRun DVR Manager web UI? When using the SPK version, I was able to access this UI via http://[MY_NAS_IP]/HDHomeRunDVR/#. However, that is no longer working. Is this feature still available/accessible somehow? It is very useful for troubleshooting recording issues with the HD HomeRun boxes.

Note: I installed this on a Synology NAS via the built-in Synology Docker service.
There is no UI at this time for the container.
The logs are stored in your RecordPath as normal and can be access from their on your NAS.
It's definitely something I want to add in future

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

husterk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 am Thanks so much for this containerized implementation! I am in the process of transitioning off the old SPK version and onto the Docker version. I was able to get this set up and working and my DVR is being detected by my HD HomeRun boxes... SUCCESS!
When you switched from the SPK to this version were you able to see all of your old recordings? Assuming that you used the same path obviously.

My 4TB IW Pro HDD appears to be failing after only a year (384 retired sectors in last 30 days), so pretty soon I'll have to replace it so I figured I might as well switch to this at the same time.

If I copy all the data from the HDHomeRunDVR directory on the current drive to the new drive will I retain my recordings? I know I need the data from /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/ and that data would go into the new /dvrdata directory correct? I've got a couple containers running in Docker now so I'm not totally new at this thankfully.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DornoDios wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:32 pm
husterk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:33 am Thanks so much for this containerized implementation! I am in the process of transitioning off the old SPK version and onto the Docker version. I was able to get this set up and working and my DVR is being detected by my HD HomeRun boxes... SUCCESS!
When you switched from the SPK to this version were you able to see all of your old recordings? Assuming that you used the same path obviously.
as container by default runs as root user it should see all the recordings properly
there could be an issue though if you didn't use the admin or hdhomerundvr user - as AFAIR the synology station prevents you setting the user/group ID, but can be corrected if you use portainer on the synology and then add the DVR docker via that and set the UID/GID of the container to match the user
My 4TB IW Pro HDD appears to be failing after only a year (384 retired sectors in last 30 days), so pretty soon I'll have to replace it so I figured I might as well switch to this at the same time.

If I copy all the data from the HDHomeRunDVR directory on the current drive to the new drive will I retain my recordings? I know I need the data from /volume1/@appstore/HDHomeRunDVR/etc/ and that data would go into the new /dvrdata directory correct? I've got a couple containers running in Docker now so I'm not totally new at this thankfully.
you don't need anything from @appstore
when creating the container set the /dvrrec data directory to wherever you want to store the recordings.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

You can set the PUID and GUID when using Docker on Synology, but I don't set it up through the GUI.

You go to Control Panel / Task Scheduler / Create / Scheduled Task / User-defined script

You then copy the text you want to use to run the docker container into that user-defined script editing it where appropriate. For example I include the lines below into the text file I copy into the user defined script.
Then I just run the user defined script and I'm good to go.

-e PUID=1234 \ not the numbers used, wasn't sure if it's a security issue so chose to change them, lol.
-e PGID=123 \

There is a tutorial here that allows you to find your current PUID and PGID numbers. https://mariushosting.com/synology-find ... 5-seconds/ It emails the PUID and GUID of the current user to the email address used for notifications. It also shows you where to go to setup the user-defined script to run your docker container with the settings you want.

I'm not sure if that's what you were talking about or not.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I went ahead and switched to the Docker version of the record engine. I just uninstalled the spk and then ran the user-defined script I'd setup for Docker which is identical to what you posted aside from the paths.

This container will make it easier for me to replace a suspected failing drive in the NAS since I run in JBOD w/o a storage pool. As one disk/volume is for DVR and the other storage. So thank you for that! I do keep backups.

If I copy the contents of /dvrrec and then replace the drive will everything work properly after I copy those files back to the new drive and then start the dvr container? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DornoDios wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:25 am I went ahead and switched to the Docker version of the record engine. I just uninstalled the spk and then ran the user-defined script I'd setup for Docker which is identical to what you posted aside from the paths.

This container will make it easier for me to replace a suspected failing drive in the NAS since I run in JBOD w/o a storage pool. As one disk/volume is for DVR and the other storage. So thank you for that! I do keep backups.

If I copy the contents of /dvrrec and then replace the drive will everything work properly after I copy those files back to the new drive and then start the dvr container? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure.
It should do - that's kind of the nice thing about using containers. The container has a set recordpath (hence advising not to change in the conf file) that is mounted into the container when you set the binding to a local folder. The main thing will be to watch out for permissions issues.
I do hope to have it fully configurable so you can set the user UID/GID which would be ideal.
Been really busy at work of late.. but am working on updated build to include a webserver/UI, the full DVRUI, and the user settings.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

demonrik wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:32 am Been really busy at work of late.. but am working on updated build to include a webserver/UI, the full DVRUI, and the user settings.
Thanks so much for the effort you put in! I can only imagine the effort and time it takes to do something like this in addition to your regular job. I don't have an issue running the container as root because my NAS isn't accessible over the internet.

There's a JSON file that used to be visible via the webserver from the SPK and it has the data on series recordings and also data about the files in the /dvrrec path.

Is that data saved on the HDHR Tuner or does SD save it in the cloud? Is it stored in a hidden folder in the /dvrrec path perhaps?

What permissions does the /dvrrec directory require? Are the hdhomerundvr and http users still required?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

DornoDios wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:06 pm There's a JSON file that used to be visible via the webserver from the SPK and it has the data on series recordings and also data about the files in the /dvrrec path.

Is that data saved on the HDHR Tuner or does SD save it in the cloud? Is it stored in a hidden folder in the /dvrrec path perhaps?
The data for each recording is inside the recorded file so you only need to copy the recordings.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

DornoDios wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:06 pm What permissions does the /dvrrec directory require? Are the hdhomerundvr and http users still required?
For Synology/Qnap - it appears to work to just allow admin group read/write access.
No need to worry about hdhomerundvr and http users anymore

mropincar

Post by mropincar »

has anyone had any luck running the docker version on an Asustor with an ARM processor?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

mropincar wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:29 pm has anyone had any luck running the docker version on an Asustor with an ARM processor?
It won't run.
Needs a specific docker build for ARM to be created.
If someone wants to create and get it working and generate pull request back on the github - I'm all ears...