unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
redraymon

Re: unofficial Docker Container for Record Engine

Post by redraymon »

Just tested the container on my new DS920+, works awesome just using the Docker package right from the third party section of the Package Center. I'll let you know if I have any issues or if anything comes up as I'm using it over the next few weeks.

scyto

Post by scyto »

Nice work.

Given your container doesn't run with the privileged flag it really doesn't matter if it runs 'root' as it doesn't have privileged access. It only has access to the bind mounts (-v) nothing else.
Either way no harm running with custom PID/GID inside the container - however note the same PID/GID then need to reside on the docker host too. If on something like a synology that is royal PITA (as you discovered) - even just down to there is no way to create custom UID/GID from the synology UI :-(

I was looking through your github repo, i was unclear if SD provide multiple architecture support in their package?
(i know your container is only amd64)

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik »

scyto wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm
Nice work.

Given your container doesn't run with the privileged flag it really doesn't matter if it runs 'root' as it doesn't have privileged access.
Just because I don't mandate it doesn't mean someone can accidently set it and cause issues. so safer I think to change it.
Either way no harm running with custom PID/GID inside the container - however note the same PID/GID then need to reside on the docker host too. If on something like a synology that is royal PITA (as you discovered) - even just down to there is no way to create custom UID/GID from the synology UI :-(
You can from command line, just not from the UI.
I was looking through your github repo, i was unclear if SD provide multiple architecture support in their package?
(i know your container is only amd64)
There is nothing in the docker that is arch specific, so it would just be a matter of ensuring the right version of alpine linux is used as the baseline.
The SD engine is a universal binary.
I'll look in to enabling arm as was curious about running on my Pi4 anyway..