HDHR3-CC/Live Channels no picture on 4:3 SD channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nelsonjw

HDHR3-CC/Live Channels no picture on 4:3 SD channels

Post by nelsonjw »

I have had a ticket open for this topic for the past 8 or so months and Jason had been handling it, but I see he is no longer with the company and I have received no further updates.

The long-standing issue has been that standard-definition channels in 4:3 resolution are not watchable in Live Channels (Android TV v. 8.0). They work in the HDHR app, but not in Live Channels. 16:9 SD channels also work fine. But 4:3 SD channels are audio-only, with a black screen the entire duration of viewing the channel until I change the channel; at that point the picture does flash by before changing to the other channel.

On the other hand, I also have a HDHR4-US antenna tuner, and when enabled 4:3 SD channels from that source do work in Live Channels, so it seems to be something specific to the 3-tuner Prime.

Turning off surround sound capability does not change anything.

1: Anyone else with this issue?
2: Any progress at SiliconDust toward resolution?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR3-CC/Live Channels no picture on 4:3 SD channels

Post by NedS »

I will look into it. Jason still shows up from time to time, so I can probably prod him to see if he remembers anything about it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Are you using the Network Tuner input or the HDHomeRun input in Live Channels?

Nick

nelsonjw

Post by nelsonjw »

nickk wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 am
Are you using the Network Tuner input or the HDHomeRun input in Live Channels?

Nick
HDHR Input

nelsonjw

Post by nelsonjw »

Anything?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

There generally should be no difference when using the HDHR input in live channels compared to the app so double check that again.

Do you have SD's DVR engine anywhere on your network? When present the engine should be what provides the stream but there might be some quirk when using live channels compared to the app.

Do you have and/or does your area use tuning adapters?

I know the same used to happen to me a lot when the area I am in doesn't have the 4x3 SD channels provided and the tuning adapter goes out (the tuning adapter is set to use the HD equivalent of those channels when requested but if the TA went out, it would be reliant on the cablecard map and tune to channels that couldn't be displayed). Since I knew my area didn't carry those (while just up the street did until much more recently) it was easy for me to deduce the TA was messing up and sure enough checking it out would see that the TA had lost connection... if I wasn't aware of such issue, I would have reported it similar to how you described the issue and such can happen even if you do have those channels available but for some reason the TA is using the wrong information. Luckily my area was recently updated that the TA uses a different method to communicate upstream and it hasn't gone out since that update so I don't need to worry about it as much.

There have been reports that an area has DRM protection on some channels when using the TA vs not having DRM protection when using just the cablecard map or vice versa and if DRM the scan must also have such to provide a different playurl that supports drm.

nelsonjw

Post by nelsonjw »

Plays fine in HDHR app on the TV, but not in Live Channels. Issue seems to have to do with display aspect ratio and inability to change ratio manually.

Area does use a TA. All channels added since mid-2018 plus premiums have DRM but no DRM on anything that pre-existed before mid-2018 including all SD 4:3 channels. The TA does not remap any SD to HD in this area. I do know how to check whether the TA has lost connection and while that happens sometimes, it is not consistent or concurrent with this issue.

If I had to guess, I'd say the issue has to do with aspect ratio flags in SD content as 16:9 SD works but 4:3 does not.