Cant Install App (WD EX2 Ultra NAS)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Loxion

Cant Install App (WD EX2 Ultra NAS)

Post by Loxion »

Hi All,

New to the forum and to the HDHomeRun.

Overall have a good experience with it but have a bit of a problem that I can't seem to resolve, hoping someone can point me in the right direction:

My setup:
WD EX2 Ultra 2 bay NAS running the latest version of Plex Media Server.
HDHomeRun Connect duo (UK)

I have been running Plex for a while for movies and TV shows and have recently installed a HDHomeRun (with DVR Subscription) as I wanted to make my local TV channels available in other rooms.
Installed the HDHomeRun fine, it was detected by Plex, setup the channel list and guides etc without an issue, everything seems to be working as expected.

The one thing I want to change is that any DVR recordings I make are stored in a subfolder of my existing TV Programmes media library. There was no option to define a location on setup or an option I can see to change it.
The reason I want to change this is that I don't want my DVR recordings to constantly be updating and showing in the general TV Programme library, as long as i can access them as required via the Plex Live TV & DVR section (which I can) then that is fine.

So, I thought maybe I can do this change via the HDHomeRun app on the NAS, but it will not install when following the guide here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas:wd:multiple
I have downloaded the specific file for the WD EX2 Ultra NAS but when I try to install it manually via the NAS console it just errors immediately saying 'Failed to Install App'.

Any help or information would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Cant Install App (WD EX2 Ultra NAS)

Post by signcarver »

On the WD's it is usually best to use the windows installer to do a NAS install... this would require setting up a HDHomeRun share on the drive and that is where the recordings would go.... Personally I have seen too many issues over the years with plex monitoring the same folder but it can be added to plex if desired.

Loxion

Post by Loxion »

Thanks, I was wondering that but as the guide specifically stated to do a manual install for the EX2 Ultra 2 bay NAS I went down that route.

Ill give this a bash later and see what happens.

Loxion

Post by Loxion »

So, running the NAS install app seemed to work OK.

I need to test in Plex (having issues with my aerial at the moment). I have setup an additional Media Folder in the Films and TV libraries that point to the HDHomeRun folder. Hopefully this should allow me to select that folder when I setup a DVR recording in Plex.