5.1 Dolby Digital what device?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Dalhia2019

5.1 Dolby Digital what device?

Post by Dalhia2019 »

Hello, what device will give you 5.1 DD not PCM? Xbox and Appletv seem to do PCM.

jseymour

Re: 5.1 Dolby Digital what device?

Post by jseymour »

Dalhia2019 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am
Hello, what device will give you 5.1 DD not PCM? Xbox and Appletv seem to do PCM.
We're getting 5.1 DD from our Apple TV 4K, but it's rather a moot point if you're talking about using SD's HDHR app, because they don't have one for tvOS.

Got 5.1 DD out of our Amazon Fire TV 2nd. Gen., but had to use a digital extractor on the HDMI connection to do it. I don't recall what our Xiaomi MiBox 3's or MiBox S' did on their optical outputs. (Probably the wrong thing, if I know Android TV and Xiaomi.) I'm pretty sure I read you can get 5.1 DD with the Nvidia Shield.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

XBox should output AC3 as long as your audio device supports AC3, AC3 is enabled at the OS level, and "Use AC3 when possible" is enabled in the HDHomeRun app (default ON).
Likewise Windows 10 and Android devices should output AC3.

Nick

Dalhia2019

Post by Dalhia2019 »

Thanks for the replys. So Roku and Firetv doesn’t pass 5.1? The problem with the Xbox is if you use atmos on it everything decodes as atmos. You would have to go into the menu and switch back and forth.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

First, make sure you actually need DD passthrough. When connected directly to a receiver via HDMI, most devices can pass 6 channel PCM, which will give you equal sound quality to what you would get by passing through the DD without the hassles of actually making passthrough work. Passthrough is only needed if you're sending the audio over something that doesn't have enough bandwidth for 6 channel PCM, such as optical, coax, or legacy HDMI ARC from the TV back to the receiver.

The best bet is a proper Android TV device like the Shield or Jetstream or maybe one of the others (ChannelMaster, T*vo). The FireTV Cubes and pendant do pass DD5.1 and generally work well. The Fire TV 4K Stick is a piece of crap that Amazon still hasn't worked the decoder bugs out of 18 months after release, and should be avoided. The earlier FireTVs don't do DD5.1 properly. Roku passes DD5.1 but otherwise doesn't actually work worth a damn so no one is going to recommend that.

Dalhia2019

Post by Dalhia2019 »

jasonl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 pm
First, make sure you actually need DD passthrough. When connected directly to a receiver via HDMI, most devices can pass 6 channel PCM, which will give you equal sound quality to what you would get by passing through the DD without the hassles of actually making passthrough work. Passthrough is only needed if you're sending the audio over something that doesn't have enough bandwidth for 6 channel PCM, such as optical, coax, or legacy HDMI ARC from the TV back to the receiver.

The best bet is a proper Android TV device like the Shield or Jetstream or maybe one of the others (ChannelMaster, T*vo). The FireTV Cubes and pendant do pass DD5.1 and generally work well. The Fire TV 4K Stick is a piece of crap that Amazon still hasn't worked the decoder bugs out of 18 months after release, and should be avoided. The earlier FireTVs don't do DD5.1 properly. Roku passes DD5.1 but otherwise doesn't actually work worth a damn so no one is going to recommend that.
Thanks for your reply. I have a few streamers such as the Xbox and appletv4. In my experience pcm on the appletv isn’t as good as just using a regular ota decoder box that does DD. The DD sounds much more robust to me especially the bass. That’s just my experience. Would also like the streamer to do atmos on Netflix. So it looks like the shield or Firetv cube 2nd generation.

Phoenixfury

Post by Phoenixfury »

jseymour wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 am
Dalhia2019 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 am
I'm pretty sure I read you can get 5.1 DD with the Nvidia Shield.
I can confirm the Nvidia Shield does indeed output 5.1 DD. I haven't checked my Roku but I think it put's out 5.1 DD as well, but I know for a fact the Shield does for sure.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

All Android TVs pass DD 5.1. I would not touch any Roku devices if you want to use HDHR on it.

Dalhia2019

Post by Dalhia2019 »

I just ordered a Cube so we will see. I’m hoping it does DD. Thanks for the help.