The forgotten loyal customer

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
damcck

The forgotten loyal customer

Post by damcck »

I couldn't believe my email I got today that yet another new product is coming out ahead of the prime 6.
I'm pretty sure I made a forum post about this before but I just couldn't find it.

As a long time loyal customer going back a over decade when silicondust made that white box tuner ( i dont remember the model name) just so I can get clear qam channels.
It is disappointing yet again to see another product fast tracked ahead of the prime 6 tuner

So far since the prime 6 we got
Connect Duo and Quatro
Storage Servio
Scribe Duo and Quatro
And the IP TV service.

Now we are getting the OTA 4k.

SiliconDust dont get me wrong, i really enjoy that you are coming out with new products all the time. But what us that loyal customer that have waited for years for you guys to make a 6 tuner cable card.

scyto

Re: The forgotten loyal customer

Post by scyto »

you do realize it isn't a zero sum game right?

Just because someone works on this strategic project doesn't mean there isn't the focus on the other strategic projects too.

When one is working with chips, silicon, board revs there is lots of down time while you wait for turnaround from vendors, suppliers, etc.

Or as we call it in our org it is a 'baby problem - doesn't matter how many people you throw at it it takes 9mo' aka more people != faster.

damcck

Post by damcck »

thanks for that insider insight

my point is this is another example of a brand new device coming out and will be out this summer, just like all the others ones listed most were brought up way after the prime 6 and we got them first.

scyto

Post by scyto »

I agree it is frustrating if there is one feature or product you had set your heart on.

HDHomerun were developing other products before the DVR and before new 6 tuner CC edition, they have to keep their other product lines going - what do folk's think is funding the DRM and CC-6 tuner - its the cashflow generated by continuous sale of products and new products are key part of that. If they stop developing other products (remember CC is just for one market in the world) i can assure people they will never see the CC-6 or DRM recording.

So seeing something like this should be celebrated as evidence SD is healthy company.

damcck

Post by damcck »

[MOD EDIT: removed. Be nice to each other. - NS]

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

damcck wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm

my point is this is another example of a brand new device coming out and will be out this summer, just like all the others ones listed most were brought up way after the prime 6 and we got them first.
The issues holding up the PRIME6's release don't apply to the other products.

We still want to get the PRIME6 released, more than anyone, but in the meantime we can't hold back other products that are ready to be released now.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:08 pm
damcck wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm

The issues holding up the PRIME6's release don't apply to the other products.

We still want to get the PRIME6 released, more than anyone, but in the meantime we can't hold back other products that are ready to be released now.
So what's still holding the Prime 6 back?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Beerman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm
I can't share information that at this time.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:48 pm
Beerman wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm
I can't share information that at this time.
Can you say if you're actively moving forward with Prime6 (not just "in spirit") or if it has been shelved?

...because it seems shelved. It's either just taking way longer or something bad happened. A lot has been going on in the world but you just released another product so is that even a factor with the P6?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We are actively moving forward with the PRIME6.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter »

NedS wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 am
The once heralded "Flagship Product" has certainly taken a backseat, perceptually.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

mcewinter wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 am
NedS wrote:
The once heralded "Flagship Product" has certainly taken a backseat, perceptually.
Nothing has changed seats. CableCARD has always been expensive to develop for, and OTA has always been biggest area.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter »

NedS wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:59 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 am
NedS wrote:
Nothing has changed seats. CableCARD has always been expensive to develop for, and OTA has always been biggest area.
Okay. I've kinda been waiting years for this based on announcements from your company as a 4 tuner and a 6 tuner have previously been "announced". You missed your publicly posted goal of 'end of 2019' and announced a different product. It sounds a little like something changed seats...perceptually. But fear not, customers, just look to this single thread on their forum for reassurance.

GhostPeter

Post by GhostPeter »

It's a real shame they feel no obligation to their customers to deliver on their promises.

Aside from PRIME 6/DRM, there's a slew of missing features in the DVR software that have been asked for going back years upon years and yet they can't even deliver on those.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

GhostPeter wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:17 pm
It's a real shame they feel no obligation to their customers to deliver on their promises.

Aside from PRIME 6/DRM, there's a slew of missing features in the DVR software that have been asked for going back years upon years and yet they can't even deliver on those.
The only major unfulfilled promises that we've made at the moment have been the PRIME6 and DRM recording, and we feel very obligated to make things right on those fronts (and are not as far off as they feel to the public). We've been very up front about what we intend to support for the HDHomeRun app and DVR service. The only other major thing I can think of that we haven't done yet is an Apple TV client*, but we have not given an ETA on that (see note below). We pride ourselves on being transparent, but there are certain things we cannot always go into detail about.

There are various smaller feature requests that we are slowly making our way through. DVB subtitles should be working soon (or might be already, depending on the platform, I think), better file transfer support on SCRIBE/SERVIO has a path forward (actually supporting a standard file sharing protocol, most likely, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up just yet with too many details), I feel I'm getting close to convincing Nick to expose the channel recording rule in the normal HDHomeRun app (nudge nudge), we may have another smart TV platform that will get the HDHomeRun app this year (if all goes well), and a lot more.

*(We actually have something that can work on Apple TV today, but Apple won't let us use that version because of their weird policies for tvOS. Live TV can be done for free with VLC as a UPnP/DLNA source, and we're investigating the possibility of having DVR recordings accessible via UPnP/DLNA, but a lot of things are on our plate at the moment and there is no ETA or guarantee on recording UPnP/DLNA. Another option would be to see if MrMC would be willing to use the unofficial Kodi PVR add-on, and that would give full live TV and recording support on Apple TV via the paid MrMC app.)