Roku Watch never plays recorded

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cqcq42

Roku Watch never plays recorded

Post by cqcq42 »

If I select a completed, recorded show and choose Watch, the screen goes black except for a white progress bar that appears immediately at about 40% and never moves.
If I select a show that is being recorded and choose Watch, the screen appears exactly as before, but almost immediately kicks me back to the Recorded page.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Roku Watch never plays recorded

Post by NedS »

Roku has problems with live TV and recordings from cable TV. It seems to work pretty well for over-the-air broadcasts, but cable is totally hit or miss. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it, since all video is played back using the Roku's system-wide video player, which only Roku can update and fix, and they appear to be disinterested in our bug reports.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

That is unfortunate because I know of at least one vendor that has been successful - I've been streaming my entire Spectrum (formerly TWC) cable subscription with the Spectrum TV Roku app for years on all my Rokus with good fidelity and stability.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

The video stream you receive from tuner are very different than any cable streaming app.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

thedoomster wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:36 pm
That is unfortunate because I know of at least one vendor that has been successful - I've been streaming my entire Spectrum (formerly TWC) cable subscription with the Spectrum TV Roku app for years on all my Rokus with good fidelity and stability.
The cable company-specific apps on Roku receive specially formatted video streams that are different than what is sent to a standard CableCARD system.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

Thanks to you both for enlightening me.

LesMoss

Post by LesMoss »

Of course, you could fix this by transcoding to a form acceptable to Roku in the record engine, either on record or playback.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

LesMoss wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:02 pm
Of course, you could fix this by transcoding to a form acceptable to Roku in the record engine, either on record or playback.
Without the dedicated hardware, it is very unlikely to happen. Live transcoding HD signal is not an easy task. SD already has an version of tuner that does MPEG2 to H.264 transcoding via some special hardware.

LesMoss

Post by LesMoss »

I realize the HD Homerun cable card device may be too weak to transcode on the fly. But, I am talking about the record engine. Some record engines are powerful enough to do that.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

That's irrelevant, because any cable channels on an ex-TWC system are DRM protected, and Roku doesn't support any DRM systems that are allowed for use with CableCARD devices. It could potentially be done for non-DRM systems, but at that point you might as well just use Plex or Emby since they're already designed to handle that.

cqcq42

Post by cqcq42 »

I found inconsistencies in the MPG files created by the HDHomeRun record engine.
On rare occasions, I HAVE been able to watch a recorded show via the Roku HDHomeRun channel. I have never been able to view Live TV using that app on Roku, and most recorded files are also not viewable.
The second inconsistency has to do with transcoding the MPG to MP4 for use in my editing software. Some files fail to import into the transcoding software, although they play in HDHomeRun and other apps.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to save the files, but I was wondering if both problems (no replay in Roku, fail to import) might be fixed by recording in MPG's replacement format: MP4.
I'll be on the lookout for these odd files.