CONNECT QUATRO started getting choppy

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
scarleton

CONNECT QUATRO started getting choppy

Post by scarleton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:14 pm

I have had a CONNECT QUATRO for about 2 weeks, Originally I had it hooked to a Plex server on an older PC and the PC simply could not keep up. When I used the HomeRun software, the picture was PERFECT, but on the old Plex machine, it was choppy at best! On Wednesday I installed a Synology DS918+ and installed Plex on that machine. The CONNECT QUATRO was delivering absolutely beautiful live tv and the DS918+ was able to record that beautiful live tv.

This evening I fired it up on Plex and the video is choppy. I am now watching it via the HDHomeRun app and it is choppy there, too. Nothing has changed on my network, so I am mystified as to the problem. Any thoughts on what I should check?

While this has NOT changed, I don't know if it is a factor, i assume not, but... The CONNECT QUATRO and DS918+ are not on the same switch, they are on different switches that are connected via a 1G fiberoptic connection. From everything I understand, the CONNECT QUATRO cannot get anywhere close to 1000Mbps, so I would assume that this would not be a bottleneck. I do have the ability to double the connection between switches to get 2G. The DS918+ is connected to it's switch on a 2G connection.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: CONNECT QUATRO started getting choppy

Post by NedS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:35 pm

1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels
  9. After the scan finishes, open the HDHomeRun app
  10. Go into the app settings: the gear icon in the top right corner of the "Live/Recorded/Discover/Tasks" page
  11. Enable the option to Send diagnostic information
  12. Watch a problem channel for at least 10 minutes
Reply back with the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

scarleton

Post by scarleton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 am

Thank you very much for the great reply! I moved the plex server so it is on the same switch as the tunner and I also updated the Plex software, all seems to be running fine right now.

scarleton

Post by scarleton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 pm

So this evening, about 11:10 EST, I tuned into channel 9.1 and it was a little choppy, not too bad, the audio is always good, but there are some blocks in the video. The Id you asked for is: HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO 10796434

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 am

scarleton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 pm
So this evening, about 11:10 EST, I tuned into channel 9.1 and it was a little choppy, not too bad, the audio is always good, but there are some blocks in the video. The Id you asked for is: HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO 10796434
My apologies for not replying sooner, this post slipped past me. The signal levels look good for 9.1, but I do see that you have the HDHomeRun DVR installed on a Windows PC. Even without a DVR subscription, the DVR software will act as a live TV buffer, so to rule that out as a possible factor let's have you disable it and see if that makes a difference:

Open the HDHomeRun Setup application (this is different from the viewer app), click on the "DVR" tab, uncheck the "Use this PC for recordings" box and then click "Apply".