HDHR4-US Tuner Coax Connection Problem

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
shoman94

HDHR4-US Tuner Coax Connection Problem

Post by shoman94 »

So I noticed today after redoing my setup based on the RePack and noticed that one of my boxes has a 10% stronger signal than the other. I swapped cables, splitter etc and it followed the Tuner box. What I found is that if I pull up on the male connection I gain the 10% and if I push down I lose the connection. I took the box apart and I don't see a bad solder externally so it must be a problem where the Coax male connects inside the tuner that is under the shield.

Anyone else experience this? Can it be sent it for repair to SD? Has anyone unsoldered the shield to get access to the connection underneath?

For now what I did was drive a screw between the male Coax and the assembly housing. For now that seems to work and brings my signals back up to par.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the HDHR4-2US and the HDHR5-2 or 4US? Are the tuners better?

3ton

Re: HDHR4-US Tuner Coax Connection Problem

Post by 3ton »

Same problem on a extend and tried to resolder and I screwed it up more. Could never get it back to where it was. Had to trash the extend.

shoman94

Post by shoman94 »

3ton wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am
Same problem on a extend and tried to resolder and I screwed it up more. Could never get it back to where it was. Had to trash the extend.
Thanks, only way I can see getting to it is unsoldering the tuner cover on the board to get in there. Right now the crude sheetrock screw seems to be working well. LMAO.

3ton

Post by 3ton »

The only way is to unsolder the shield plate. But if it was me just leave it alone. Unless your some kind of expert with expert tools, you will most likely make it worse. Your best bet is to see if SD will look at it. If not or shipping is too much just buy refrub one for 45.

shoman94

Post by shoman94 »

3ton wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm
The only way is to unsolder the shield plate. But if it was me just leave it alone. Unless your some kind of expert with expert tools, you will most likely make it worse. Your best bet is to see if SD will look at it. If not or shipping is too much just buy refrub one for 45.
I'm not an expert but I have the ability to solder boards. It blows my mind that it would break. This bx just sits there. Its in a temp/humidity controlled room! No forces being applied to the cable either. :lol:

I do have other questions in the OP.

3ton

Post by 3ton »

I guess just be prepared for it not to work.

There is some differences in the tuners for the original connect and the new duo or quarto but most do not notice it. The newer connect is supposed to be better but some like the old better. I have never noticed a difference. But I do not watch anything but the major networks, so the lower power stations do not factor in for me. I have one old connect and a newer quarto and there is no difference for me.

Search the forum, it has been discussed before.

Good luck

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Given that moving the cable significantly affects RF performance it is unlikely to relate to the connection to the PCB.

Two things to check...

1) Disconnect the antenna and take a look down the F-connector on the cable...
Look to see if the center pin is bent in such a way that could damage the connector on the HDHomeRun.
Look for any stray strands or foil that could be making contact with the center pin.

2) Take a look down the center of the F connector on the HDHomeRun - check that the center contacts are closed enough that they will make contact with the center pin of the cable.

Nick

shoman94

Post by shoman94 »

nickk wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm
Given that moving the cable significantly affects RF performance it is unlikely to relate to the connection to the PCB.

Two things to check...

1) Disconnect the antenna and take a look down the F-connector on the cable...
Look to see if the center pin is bent in such a way that could damage the connector on the HDHomeRun.
Look for any stray strands or foil that could be making contact with the center pin.

2) Take a look down the center of the F connector on the HDHomeRun - check that the center contacts are closed enough that they will make contact with the center pin of the cable.

Nick
I have looked at both and tried a different cable as well. I believe its where the Male F connector is going under the shield and attaches.