Remote with numbers issue with HDHomerun for Android

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
keplenk

Remote with numbers issue with HDHomerun for Android

Post by keplenk »

Hello,

Awhile back, I posted an issue about using a typical and regular TV remote (with number keys) with FLIRC here in the HDHR forums.

The issue was whenever you press the number keys, it invokes the Android keyboard then where you are ready to click OK (or enter) -- it doesn't change the channel, instead, it presses the virtual keyboard which is pointed to the "K" key. So if you type in, channel 524, you will end up with 524k

Fortunately, there was a solution for FLIRC since you can customize the keys and using the "Amazon remote OK key" in mapping with FLIRC, it works -- it changes the channel instead of pressing the "K" key.

My FLIRC broke and I decided to buy this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T5 ... UTF8&psc=1 which works wonderful with the Shield TV.

However, the original problem that I had before persisted since I can't really modify the keys on the bluetooth remote to learn the "OK" key of the amazon remote. So if you click OK -- presses the K key again.

Then I realized, I wanted to buy the Verizon Stream TV which doesn't have a USB so I can't use FLIRC and I might end using the bluetooth remote. Also, the upcoming T I V O Android TV dongle, which has a Peanut remote (with number pad) will probably have the same problem. Perhaps, the rumored Chromecast Android TV won't have a USB port as well will also have the same problem.

Is there a solution or Workaround so that annoying K key won't be pressed using a Remote with keypad?

keplenk

Re: Remote with numbers issue with HDHomerun for Android

Post by keplenk »

Anyone can suggest anything?

I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Tube (currently on sale) and its doing the same thing. The bluetooth remote is doing the same thing. I also tried the Harmony hub and its the same problem.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Have you tried use your TV's remote instead? Android TV support HDMI CEC for a long time. It supports TV remote through CEC on most modern TVs.

IIRC, the ok button on TV doesn't work with HDHR APP via CEC either. But at least you don't have to spend extra $ on something you already have.

Update: just tried with my TV remote, the ok button brings out the built-in on screen keyboard with Android TV which defaults to the k button. If you press again, it will enter k. So, it is not that the OK button is mapped to k button, but some how HDHR interpretes that remote key into bring out on-screen keyboard instead of just like ENTER.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The problem with CEC is that many TVs don't pass the number keys via CEC.

keplenk

Post by keplenk »

foxbat121 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 am
Have you tried use your TV's remote instead? Android TV support HDMI CEC for a long time. It supports TV remote through CEC on most modern TVs.

IIRC, the ok button on TV doesn't work with HDHR APP via CEC either. But at least you don't have to spend extra $ on something you already have.

Update: just tried with my TV remote, the ok button brings out the built-in on screen keyboard with Android TV which defaults to the k button. If you press again, it will enter k. So, it is not that the OK button is mapped to k button, but some how HDHR interpretes that remote key into bring out on-screen keyboard instead of just like ENTER.
Yup, I tried that too and rpcaemron is right, it doesn't pass the numbers over.

The thing is, this problem doesn't exist when using the built-on "Live Channels" app -- when you dial a channel then hit OK, it works fine. It is only happening with the HDHomerun App.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

I confirm this is an issue with Android TV on the 20200304 release using the Sony TV remote, with bigger problems like freezing the screen (screen goes black with Live Recorded Discover Tasks across the top but no content and no navigation) when switching from Live TV to Discover, after entering a channel number and unsuccessfully changing to that channel. That required me to go straight to Home then Settings to Force Stop the app before I could relaunch and navigate again. Essentially even if I can get a channel selected (highlighted) and close the keyboard with the Back key, I can't Select the channel slice (still highlighted) nor use up/down arrow to navigate until I back completely out. The cursor remains in the Search bar...

On the current pre-release 20201318g beta I get the same keyboard/navigation errors but can't seem to reproduce the blank screen (so far).

This seems to be a regression since I don't recall seeing this back around the release that introduced channel up/down (20200205?)

I think jasonl may have been on this and just wanted to add to the thread so it wasn't forgotten.

Be safe everyone!

keplenk

Post by keplenk »

thedoomster wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm
I confirm this is an issue with Android TV on the 20200304 release using the Sony TV remote, with bigger problems like freezing the screen (screen goes black with Live Recorded Discover Tasks across the top but no content and no navigation) when switching from Live TV to Discover, after entering a channel number and unsuccessfully changing to that channel. That required me to go straight to Home then Settings to Force Stop the app before I could relaunch and navigate again. Essentially even if I can get a channel selected (highlighted) and close the keyboard with the Back key, I can't Select the channel slice (still highlighted) nor use up/down arrow to navigate until I back completely out. The cursor remains in the Search bar...

On the current pre-release 20201318g beta I get the same keyboard/navigation errors but can't seem to reproduce the blank screen (so far).

This seems to be a regression since I don't recall seeing this back around the release that introduced channel up/down (20200205?)

I think jasonl may have been on this and just wanted to add to the thread so it wasn't forgotten.

Be safe everyone!
Wow your problems are way worse than I'm getting! Hopefully you get it sorted out and hopefully someone will assist us fixing the official HDHR app. I've decided to move over to Live channels but it has its own slew of issues with the Nvidia Shield TV (2017/2019) -- no closed captioning and choppy in certain channels like MSG and some sports channels. Oh well ..

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

Yeah, and half the time I don't know if it's the crappy implementation of Android TV on my Sony (a 930D), or the app. If I wasn't in love with the picture quality I'd dump it for something else (but I can't get 3D any more). I also use Live Channels when I just don't want to deal with the HDHR bugs, but it certainly has it's own problems, from spinning it's wheels forever opening Live TV to choppiness on many channels.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

I wanted to raise this to the top again in hopes to get some traction on fixes, since the issues still exist. I have a Prime and 400 channels. The big issue is I can't get to a slice entry through the numeric keypad. When I enter a number the popup keyboard appears on the first digit, then the keyboard closes on 2nd, third, fourth digits. The slice is then highlighted but I cannot actually select it because I can't navigate to the slice to select it. If I just hit the Select key, instead of taking me to the channel, the keyboard opens again requiring the Back button to close and I'm back to the cursor stuck in the search box. Also, Channel up/down is agonizingly slow. Been patiently waiting for this and other remote control fixes, hoping to dump the cable box.

On a positive note, the app has come a long way and I really like the new blue theme. Works great on Win10 and XBox.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I'm going through this in depth tonight and see what we can figure out. At first this only seemed to happen on third party Android TV remotes (including the Flirc and other "keyboard"-like input remotes), but it's happening on stock Android TV remotes as well. I also think we fixed it at one point, but it's certainly not working now. My folks are wired to use the number pad for changing TV channels, so this is very much on my radar.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

It was fixed at one point but it came back when center button on xbox was declared fixed (i haven't tried an xbox since "stay at home orders"). However i had noticed gboard updates inbetween as well that may be more on android then app changes as it seems a "textbox" in focus brings up the board but a number (keyboard) press dismisses the on screen keyboard... i.e. number pressed, number is taken and focus is set to box, a second number pressed dismisses the onscreen keyboard, now for the part i hate most that only became a problem recently, arrow keys won't move out of text box into slice as my normal mode of entry is 10 then down to 10.3 then center button (remote doesn't allow .). I'd even settle for 10, center button to change channel then move down to 10.3. But when in that box the center button now brings up on screen keyboard again.

NitDawg

Post by NitDawg »

NedS wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:09 pm
I'm going through this in depth tonight and see what we can figure out. At first this only seemed to happen on third party Android TV remotes (including the Flirc and other "keyboard"-like input remotes), but it's happening on stock Android TV remotes as well. I also think we fixed it at one point, but it's certainly not working now. My folks are wired to use the number pad for changing TV channels, so this is very much on my radar.
Any news or other options to try with remotes? This is one feature that is a necessity with 300 channels...fingers crossed. Thanks so much.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster »

I just tested my SONY TV/Android TV (8) for current remote control support and see big improvements since May. The versions are 20200615 (App) and 20200709 (UI). After launching into Live TV (a DRM channel) I press Down Arrow and wait for the slices to paint. I notice some stuttering in the video and the audio is out of sync. I wait a minute. The video freezes then goes blank for a second and then displays video smoothly with audio in sync. Just have to be patient, especially with this older (2016) TV.

Now remote numbers. It doesn't work without slices open, will only catch the first number entered and then any further key-presses (except Back) displays the keyboard and slices no longer have focus - you are stuck. The trick is to press up-arrow or down-arrow) to open the slices, then enter channel number THEN press down-arrow to select the channel channel slice you want. One press will land you on the channel you entered. This seems to work consistently. I see this on Windows as well.

I do see the audio get out of sync on DRM channels after going in and out of the UI. I found I can get it back in sync if I switch to a clear channel, then back. I'll gather a little more info on this and submit a new report.

NitDawg

Post by NitDawg »

Great tip on the down arrow trick!

I'm running a shield pro through a denon AVR to my TV. Using a harmony hub that gives me the keypad on the remote.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Nothing major yet. The UI dev is still working out some issues that happen with the on-screen keyboard, even when just doing normal text searches, and it sounds all related. Once the on-screen keyboard pops open, things get a little weird, and we're trying to handle both text search and channel numbers with the same input field. That might have to change, so that channel number input and text input are invoked in different ways.