Closed caption size?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Lewcifer

Closed caption size?

Post by Lewcifer »

Is there any way to adjust the size of the closed captions? They are very large. I'd like to reduce the size.

I'm using HDHomeRun Extend, Nvidia Shield Pro

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Closed caption size?

Post by signcarver »

.No.

BillAggie

Post by BillAggie »

The captions size ruin the feature. Most hearing impaired need captions as a glance reference. They must be smaller for glance recognition of the words. Without captions I fail to understand dialect. With captions I only need to glance (not read) the caption and then I understand the dialect. But these jumbo captions can't be glanced at. They demand the viewers total attention forcing one to read versus watching the video.

It's obvious a hearing impaired person did not make the font size decision.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The size and position is dictated by the CEA608 standard.

The size is correct on 16:9 screens. If your screen is 16:10 (or taller aspect ratio) the font size is slightly oversized - this is on our todo list to fix.

Nick

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

Will you ever change from using the out-dated CEA-608 captions to using CEA-708 captions?

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

I wouldn't hold my breath. CC handling has been a long-standing complaint wrt SD's apps. It was the precipitating reason we switched to Channels nearly two years ago, very shortly after acquiring our HDHR tuner.

jrpatx
Device ID: 1056BDB2, 10727095

Post by jrpatx »

Have you played around with the font size options at the Android OS level? I increased it for better legibility of guide descriptions and other info at greater distance from the TV, but an unwanted side-effect was the sort of massively over-sized subtitles that you are describing within the HDHR app. Dialing back the font size at the Android level, brought the subtitles back down to a reasonable size.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

jseymour wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:03 am
I wouldn't hold my breath. CC handling has been a long-standing complaint wrt SD's apps. It was the precipitating reason we switched to Channels nearly two years ago, very shortly after acquiring our HDHR tuner.
This is one of those things where once we get the feature going, and it works to the point of meeting a standard that we need, then priority is going to be shifted to completing other features. We still want to improve features, and the newer CC standard is something we would like to do, however there are a few things higher on the list right now. We're still getting DVB captions and subtitles working, and once that's done maybe we will be in a better position for looking at ATSC/cableCARD-CC improvements.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

CEA608 is the standard that covers NTSC/analog TV.

CEA708 is the standard that covers ATSC. It defines how CEA608 captions are sent in the digital stream and adds some additional modes/features.

Broadcasters send captions following CEA708 but generally only use CEA608 modes/features.

HDHomeRun apps fully support the CEA708 transport and the feature set defined by CEA608.

Nick