Missing recordings, multiple HomeRun devices

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
virbing

Missing recordings, multiple HomeRun devices

Post by virbing » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to track an issue but not sure what is happening. I seem to be missing recordings.

I have two HDHomeRun devices, a Dual that is recording ClearQAM from Frontier FIOS and a Prime with a cable card. When I add a task from a network channel, the task manager shows that I can record it on the Dual over ClearQAM and off of the Prime from the cable channel. It seems to me that the missing recordings may be happening because the recording is being assigned to 1 tuner (the Dual?) but if I have multiple network recording schedules the software is not switching over to Prime if the tuners on the Dual are maxed out, either recording or playing back.

Also, before the new UI, the recordings would show up in the task bar with both the ClearQAM and cable schedules showing as being ready to record, but now, I have noticed that the record button only shows up on the ClearQAM channels (not sure if this is for all recording or just some of them.)

Sorry that I can't give you better troubleshooting. I have been too busy to really do a deep dive but the problem is annoying enough that I wanted to get it out there for suggestions as soon as possible.

One other thing, has there been any consideration for having a to-do list so I can see exactly which programs are scheduled to record? Managing multiple devices and two different overlapping program guides (ClearQAM and cable), I never have any idea whether a program I really want to record is going to record or if there are multiple things already showing up on the schedule that are going to override my more highly desired programs. I know that I can prioritize recordings based on placement in the task list, but I have so many items and the interface is cumbersome to trying to get my programs prioritized.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Missing recordings, multiple HomeRun devices

Post by jasonl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 pm

What are the IDs for your HDHomeRun devices, and can you give an example of a show that didn't record as expected in the last few days, including the show name, date, and time?

virbing

Post by virbing » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Devices:

1034B8F2 - Dual
132173A8 - Prime

12/05 9:30 PM PDT Single Parents - "A Place Where Men Can Be Men"
12/05 10:00 PM PDT Stumptown - "The Other Woman"

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Dual won't work with SD's DVR (only live) as it is 3rd gen (the prime and expand are the only 3rd gen devices that support recording with SD's DVR as they support http streaming)

Personally my suggestion would be to get rid of the dual as it causes too much confusion and replace with extend, or connect (4th gen or 5th gen duo/quatro).

I'll leave it to jasonl or someone from SD to say why the clear qam is showing as recordable when the prime isn't since it can't be recorded from as your DVR account should only be linked to the prime. (Though in theory your prime can also do clear qam, it typically wouldn't have that lineup added)

virbing

Post by virbing » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:04 pm

It used to work with the older version of SD DVR without any issues and still records at least 1 channel with V2.0. It just seems that something is now confused between the same program appearing on both a QAM and cable schedule.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:44 pm

SD's dvr has always required http streaming which the dual does not, has not, and never will support http streaming. Yes one can use a dual for live in the app and yes the dvr can support clear qam (even from the prime when it doesn't have a cablecard). All those clear qam channels should be available to the prime when it has a cablecard but under a different channel number. Typically the engine doesn't care what channel number it uses as it usually gets presented with all the channels a show to be recorded is on... it should not even see the channels from the dual when making such decisions.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 pm

virbing wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:04 pm
It used to work with the older version of SD DVR without any issues and still records at least 1 channel with V2.0. It just seems that something is now confused between the same program appearing on both a QAM and cable schedule.
You may be thinking of something else, as the HDHomeRun DVR software has always required a 4th gen or higher device (only exceptions being the PRIME and the EXPAND).