Win7 users can still get upgrade to Win10

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
3579mike777

Win7 users can still get upgrade to Win10

Post by 3579mike777 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm

You can google this for details, but the Windows 10 free upgrade to Win7 still works. Basically download the Win10 install files and start the install from within Win7. It will automatically upgrade your Windows 7 copy. After the fact you can later choose to do a clean install. The copy of Windows 10 is tied to your hardware, no key needed. If your hardware isn't up to snuff, Windows 10 won't let you do the upgrade.

I finally bit the dust and did this yesterday. While my android box performance with the DVR was really slow and sluggish, using Windows 10 for the player, the Windows 10 HR Homerun app is very snappy and responsive. Best of all, my Rosewill WMC remote works automatically. Not all the remote functions, but enough. My android box is now relegated to just a plain old NAS DVR, although I can still watch TV from the android box, the interface performance is really slow. Really happy I finally upgraded. I was going to have to pay for a guide to WMC anyway, so I would rather pay Silicon Dust.

Windows Media Center and HD Prime has been my primary DVR since 2013. I saved a ton of money on DVR cable box rental from Comcast over the years. From my understanding, MS really wants people to switch to Windows 10, so they are kind of ignoring the relative few people who waited till the last minute to do this.

3579mike777

Re: Win7 users can still get upgrade to Win10

Post by 3579mike777 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Still would like to see a grid guide. And a last channel option would be nice.